Author Topic: Ainge May Poach Celtics Assistant(s)  (Read 1936 times)

Ainge May Poach Celtics Assistant(s)
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
In the search for a new head coach, the Utah Jazz have received permission to interview New York Knicks assistant Johnnie Bryant, Boston Celtics assistants Will Hardy and Joe Mazzulla and Milwaukee Bucks assistant Charles Lee, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Utah will also interview current assistant Alex Jensen and former Portland Trail Blazers head coach Terry Stotts, Wojnarowski added.

Johnnie Bryant "is a known favorite" of Donovan Mitchell, according to NBA insider Marc Stein. Perhaps bringing him in could entice the veteran guard to remain in Utah.

Utah's interest in Bryant comes as little surprise as he served as an assistant for the Jazz from 2014 to '20.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:11:29 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Ainge May Poach Celtics Assistant(s)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 10:14:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd be surprised if one of our guys got it, just because they seem a bit more green than some others do. Bryant seems to make too much sense to not get the gig.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 10:30:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think D'Antoni would be a fascinating coach for them.  I don't think he'd get the job, but I'd be really curious to see what he would do with Mitchell and Gobert.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 10:53:31 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Will Hardy is a very hot name, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go very soon, more likely after next season than this season.  Mazzulla is (I believe) the lone assistant on the current staff who coached under Stevens, and thus under Ainge.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 11:13:00 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Will Hardy is a very hot name, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go very soon, more likely after next season than this season.  Mazzulla is (I believe) the lone assistant on the current staff who coached under Stevens, and thus under Ainge.

Yes I’ve read the same thing.

Apparently the Celtics front office and players have been really impressed with Hardy. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see Hardy get the Utah job, nor if he’s the successor for Pop in San Antonio.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:18:48 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 11:51:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Apparently the Celtics front office and players have been really impressed with Hardy. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see Hardy get the Utah job, nor if he’s the successor for Pop in San Antonio.
I think Bryant is the guy for Utah given his connection to them. Hardy would definitely be in consideration for San Antonio, alongside Hammon.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 11:17:03 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm ok with one of our assistants getting their dream job of being a head coach as long as they deserve it. It wouldn't be good to stop someone from being able to do that. If assistants get the idea that the team is preventing them from moving forward with an opportunity they won't be with the team for long, so as long as they are deemed to be ready for that next step, more power to them.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 12:30:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think Bryant is the guy for Utah given his connection to them. Hardy would definitely be in consideration for San Antonio, alongside Hammon.
Yeah I don't see how it isn't Bryant or Larsen at this point for the Jazz.  Larsen is basically the acting head coach until they get a permanent one, so I'd say he has the inside track, though Bryant has to be right there in the mix.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Andy Larsen of the Salt Lake Tribune reported Saturday that "it looks like the team's decision-makers are favoring the younger assistant coaches in their search" and pointed to the Boston Celtics' Will Hardy as someone who is "considered by many league insiders to be a leading candidate."

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 04:00:17 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Sources: Utah Jazz finalizing deal to make Boston Celtics assistant Will Hardy new head coach

per Woj

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 04:18:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Good for Hardy. As far as the Celtics go I don't think it's a major loss as the importance of coaching staffs, where assitants are concerned, is overrated - except by certain media members who like to kiss their butts so they have an 'in' should the guy eventually get a head job.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 04:23:43 PM by Kuberski33 »