Author Topic: NFL Off-season 2022  (Read 69038 times)

Re: NFL Off-season 2022
« Reply #390 on: April 30, 2022, 01:42:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Pats confuse me.  A QB in the 4th?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #391 on: April 30, 2022, 01:45:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Seems the theme for the Pats is to get more athletic and faster which I like.

But yeah, why a QB now in the 4th round? Also, I still wish we'd have grabbed a LB earlier, we still have a big need there
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #392 on: April 30, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Ravens actually used all 6 of their 4th round picks.  I didn't think they would, but they did.

Fully sticking with their identity in those 6 picks grabbing an OT, 2 TE, 2 CB, and a Punter.  Very Ravens like 4th round.  Not sure about the last CB they took, seems like a reach, but great value across the first 4 rounds on the whole.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #393 on: April 30, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Seems the theme for the Pats is to get more athletic and faster which I like.

But yeah, why a QB now in the 4th round? Also, I still wish we'd have grabbed a LB earlier, we still have a big need there

Need a backup QB I guess. Most people predicted they'd pick a QB, though not until the 6th or 7th.

I'd like to see another WR and more trenches guys (DL, OL). I think the ship sailed on the LBs.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #394 on: April 30, 2022, 05:53:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Competition to push Mac Jones. Gotta push him competitively to get the best out of him when young. I think it was a good move.

« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Competition to push Mac Jones. Gotta push him competitively to get the best out of him when young. I think it was a good move.

Honestly, one of the best things about Mac Jones is that he doesn't need to be pushed.  Just keep signing Brian Hoyer until he's 55.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2022, 05:58:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Honestly, one of the best things about Mac Jones is that he doesn't need to be pushed.  Just keep signing Brian Hoyer until he's 55.
I don't believe that. I think it's good for any athlete to know if they don't prepare, practice and play(the three P's my old football coach went on about) well enough, there's someone else behind you that will.

« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2022, 06:26:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

This will be Hoyer's last year. He'll probably be back with the Pats as a coach after this year.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2022, 06:30:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I like that the Pats loaded up on "the trenches" in the later rounds of the draft (DT, OG, OT), rather than what they typically seem to do -- safety/LB/ special teamer type.

I was hoping for two WRs, but like that there are two RBs. I think it spells the end for JJ Taylor, but I love the idea of competition in the RB room. People say the Pats are deep at RB, but they aren't really that deep. While there might be a bunch on the roster this year, it is very blurry for the following year. The only guarantee is that the Pats will have Rhamondre in 22/23.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2022, 06:35:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I like that the Pats loaded up on "the trenches" in the later rounds of the draft (DT, OG, OT), rather than what they typically seem to do -- safety/LB/ special teamer type.

I'm certainly no draft guru, but that's the way I've always seen the draft.  Spend your round 1 - 4 picks on "skill" players, and use 5 - 7 on your offensive line.  My guess is that linemen have a better hit rate making the team than do other late round picks.

« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2022, 07:21:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I completely forgot that the Pats still have guys like McGrone and McMillan who didn't play last year. Maybe they are high on those guys and that contributed to them not taking an LB in the draft.

That was my biggest takeaway and concern, that the Pats didn't draft any LB.

Overall though, I mean I'm not going to sound like a homer and say I'm ecstatic with our Draft but I feel alright with it. The one theme was definitely getting speed and athleticism with guys like Thornton, Marcus Jones, etc. And they definitely beefed up the O-Line a bit which is always good especially for Mac.

Oh and btw, Slade Bolden is (surprisingly) available. POUNCE ON HIM PATS AND SIGN HIM!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2022, 08:29:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
There's suddenly a lot of Jones' on the roster.

« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2022, 08:41:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There's suddenly a lot of Jones' on the roster.
Hopefully they're all jonesing for a Super Bowl :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2022, 09:03:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I completely forgot that the Pats still have guys like McGrone and McMillan who didn't play last year. Maybe they are high on those guys and that contributed to them not taking an LB in the draft.

That was my biggest takeaway and concern, that the Pats didn't draft any LB.

Overall though, I mean I'm not going to sound like a homer and say I'm ecstatic with our Draft but I feel alright with it. The one theme was definitely getting speed and athleticism with guys like Thornton, Marcus Jones, etc. And they definitely beefed up the O-Line a bit which is always good especially for Mac.

Oh and btw, Slade Bolden is (surprisingly) available. POUNCE ON HIM PATS AND SIGN HIM!

The Pats should start by re-signing Jawhaun Bentley at LB, and one of Trey Flowers/ Akeem Hicks for DE.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #404 on: April 30, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I was hoping for two WRs, but like that there are two RBs. I think it spells the end for JJ Taylor, but I love the idea of competition in the RB room. People say the Pats are deep at RB, but they aren't really that deep. While there might be a bunch on the roster this year, it is very blurry for the following year. The only guarantee is that the Pats will have Rhamondre in 22/23.

More like the end for Damien Harris who is due for a decent size contract after this coming season… I wouldn’t be surprised if Bill traded him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.