Author Topic: NFL Off-season 2022  (Read 69875 times)

Re: NFL Off-season 2022
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2022, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd say the Colts are the winner here.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
25m
Colts are trading QB Carson Wentz to Washington for a package of packs that is thought to include two third-round picks, sources tell ESPN.

Great deal for the Colts.

Less great when you consider they gave up a 1st and 3rd for him.  But, they recouped decent value in this deal:

The Colts will receive the Commanders' third-round picks in 2022 and 2023, sources told Schefter. The 2023 third-rounder can become a second-round pick if Wentz plays 70% of Washington's snaps. The teams also swapped second-round picks in 2022, with the Colts moving up from No. 47 overall to No. 42.

Sources told Schefter that Washington will pay the full $28 million due to Wentz for the 2022 season, which includes a $5 million roster bonus due next week.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
The Colts being able to trade away Wentz makes me think they could now be the favorites to land Jimmy G. if the Niners don't keep him. To me, the Colts are another team kind of like SF and TEN where they have a sound team, with some star talent that just needs a good QB to get over the top.

Now I'm not saying Garoppolo makes IND real SB contenders but remember, the Niners did make the SB with Jimmy G. before and I still think he's an upgrade from Wentz who honestly just seems like a loser.

Also it's not like the Draft is flush with QB talent

I think it'll be the Colts and Steelers bidding for him.

Is Garoppolo better than Wentz?  More durable?

I wonder if SF feels Lance is going to be ready.  They can likely trade Garoppolo now and get something or lose him as a FA and get nothing.  Seems like the right time to trade him.

I actually think he is. What has Wentz done since that MVP-like 1st half in 2017 before he got hurt? The Colts have a great O-Line and I think Garoppolo has proven to thrive in those situations while Wentz seemed to fade late last season and lost to the Jags (!) in Week 17 with playoffs on the line.

You could also argue that the Eagles' O-Line was a big reason for the success of PHI's QBs in 2017-2018, but Wentz has just been injury prone since and has also struggled. IND won some games last season in spite of him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2022, 03:26:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Taylor & the O-line were the driving force on that Colts offense last year.  If they can put a competent QB out there, they should be fine.  Wentz isn't much of a loss.  Colts never should've paid up what they did to get him but they did mitigate things a bit on this return.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
25m
Colts are trading QB Carson Wentz to Washington for a package of packs that is thought to include two third-round picks, sources tell ESPN.

yup, my Commanders once again show they have no clue what they're doing when it comes to overpaying to get a so-so quarterback

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2022, 03:45:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
25m

yup, my Commanders once again show they have no clue what they're doing when it comes to overpaying to get a so-so quarterback

It's gonna take me a good 20 years to get used to that new team name.

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2022, 05:03:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wentz was actually decent last year.  27 TD's, just 7 INT's.  Respectable completion percentage, yards, etc.  You feel like he is one hit away from never playing again though.  And while Wentz is probably better than Heinicke, I'm not sure he is 2 3rd rounders better than Heinicke. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2022, 09:20:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
25m

It's gonna take me a good 20 years to get used to that new team name.
still trying to get used to it.  not a fan of it

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2022, 09:05:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Wentz was actually decent last year.  27 TD's, just 7 INT's.  Respectable completion percentage, yards, etc.  You feel like he is one hit away from never playing again though.  And while Wentz is probably better than Heinicke, I'm not sure he is 2 3rd rounders better than Heinicke.

Wentz is a definite upgrade. But more much more expensive (draft picks aside), and eats into Washington's cap space. Seems like a sideways move for them.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2022, 09:11:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Wentz is a definite upgrade. But more much more expensive (draft picks aside), and eats into Washington's cap space. Seems like a sideways move for them.
sideways in the sense you're driving on an icy road and lose traction and start sliding off the road into a ditch type of sideways

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2022, 09:28:01 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

sideways in the sense you're driving on an icy road and lose traction and start sliding off the road into a ditch type of sideways

Haha.  That cracked me up.

Wentz's career has been a weird one.  One injury turned him from a likely MVP to a journeyman.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2022, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
2m
Bears are attempting to finalize a trade now that will send six-time Pro-Bowl DE Khalil Mack to the Los Angeles Chargers, sources tell ESPN.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
2m
The compensation
The #Chargers are sending a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder in 2023 for Mack. Massive.

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2022, 04:55:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
2m
Bears are attempting to finalize a trade now that will send six-time Pro-Bowl DE Khalil Mack to the Los Angeles Chargers, sources tell ESPN.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Interesting. Mack is still a force when healthy. If he'd played 17 games last season he would have ended up with 14.5 sacks at the rate he was going. I hope he can get a run of health, as he's heaps of fun to watch when he's going.
·
2m
The compensation
The #Chargers are sending a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder in 2023 for Mack. Massive.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2022, 05:17:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bears must be going full rebuild.  Probably makes sense, although as a fan it sucks.

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bears must be going full rebuild.  Probably makes sense, although as a fan it sucks.

I think they have to.  Aging defense.  By the time the offense finally got good, the D would've blown.  Might as well just tear it all down.