Author Topic: NFL Off-season 2022  (Read 69879 times)

Re: NFL Off-season 2022
« Reply #360 on: April 29, 2022, 08:38:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton

He's a very speedy receiver and probably one of the fastest guys in the Draft which is nice but just like Strange, I'm pretty sure most mocks had him going later lol (not Round 2)

They really felt that had to trade up four spots (or whatever it was) to select this guy? I just don't get it. It's like Bill feels he needs to make trades because that's his reputation. He's outsmarting himself. Seriously.

Do we know what the trade was?

« Reply #361 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

He's a very speedy receiver and probably one of the fastest guys in the Draft which is nice but just like Strange, I'm pretty sure most mocks had him going later lol (not Round 2)

They really felt that had to trade up four spots (or whatever it was) to select this guy? I just don't get it. It's like Bill feels he needs to make trades because that's his reputation. He's outsmarting himself. Seriously.

Do we know what the trade was?

#54 and #158 to KC for #50.

Also, most mock drafts and experts actually had him projected as a mid-round pick (Round 4 or 5). So umm...   :-\
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #362 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It does feel weird. I can't see him getting mail that he needs to make these moves, right?

I do like Thornton though. Reminds me a lot of Robby Anderson. He is the complete opposite of Skyy Moore, so knuckledraggers like Mel Kiper going "why would they choose him over Moore?" is a bit goofy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #363 on: April 29, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

EDIT: They traded their own pick plus a 5th round pick for Thornton. I really don't get it.
The Eagles could have been looking at him.  They missed out on Jameson Williams in the 1st round. 

« Reply #364 on: April 29, 2022, 08:54:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The Pats so far have used two picks on guys that were probably going to be available the next day anyways. I mean on one hand you can say it's nice they are getting the guys they want, but on another they aren't really managing this well. I mean why trade up 4 spots to get a guy who likely would have been there Round 4?? I feel like they could have traded down again and gotten both Thornton and another player (or last night, trade down from #29 to get Strange and someone else). A bit odd.

« Reply #365 on: April 29, 2022, 08:56:50 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
The Pats so far have used two picks on guys that were probably going to be available the next day anyways. I mean on one hand you can say it's nice they are getting the guys they want, but on another they aren't really managing this well. I mean why trade up 4 spots to get a guy who likely would have been there Round 4?? I feel like they could have traded down again and gotten both Thornton and another player (or last night, trade down from #29 to get Strange and someone else). A bit odd.

Teams generally have pretty good intel on what other teams are thinking.  It would be very surprising if Thornton would have been there in a few picks.

« Reply #366 on: April 29, 2022, 09:02:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thornton would not have been there at the end of today, regardless of the nonsense Kiper goes on about. I'm not sure how he still has a job, to be honest. I personally would have thought he'd make it to R3 though

« Reply #367 on: April 29, 2022, 09:08:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Teams generally have pretty good intel on what other teams are thinking.  It would be very surprising if Thornton would have been there in a few picks.

We can only guess as to whether he would've been there or not. But, it is interesting to see that after the Pats picked, there was a run on 3 WR and 1 TE over the next 5 picks. So, maybe they are right and he wouldn't have been there, regardless of whether this particular WR was ranked below the other 3 on national mock draft boards. I did like Pierce though, the one that Indy got.

I am hoping that WR is a spot that the Pats double-dip at. We'll see if that happens during this draft or not.

Next up, I am hoping they take the super speedy CB from Sam Houston state: Zyon McCollum.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2022, 09:17:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

EDIT: They traded their own pick plus a 5th round pick for Thornton. I really don't get it.

He’s 6’2” and ran the fastest 40’ time during the combine at 4.28 seconds. In 14 games last year at Baylor he had 950 yards receiving and 10TD’s. I’m OK with this pick. Pats haven’t had a deep threat in a long time…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #369 on: April 29, 2022, 09:21:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

He’s 6’2” and ran the fastest 40’ time during the combine at 4.28 seconds. In 14 games last year at Baylor he had 950 yards receiving and 10TD’s. I’m OK with this pick. Pats haven’t had a deep threat in a long time…

Right. Like the OG Strange pick, it fills a need. I think the knock on these picks is that the Pats could've waited, traded back, etc. Who knows if that's true. I think to the Pats credit, the fact that the next several picks were all WRs bolsters the case that they were smart to trade up to snag the WR that they wanted. So, I am less annoyed by this pick than I was initially.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #370 on: April 29, 2022, 09:26:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
How is Nakobe Dean still available?? Did he do something serious off-the-field we're not aware of?  ???

« Reply #371 on: April 29, 2022, 09:42:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
How is Nakobe Dean still available?? Did he do something serious off-the-field we're not aware of?  ???

This the reason?

https://twitter.com/PFF_AustinGayle/status/1520215513665843200?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Per source, Georgia LB Nakobe Dean declined surgery on his shoulder, and it's now a major concern/medical red flag.

« Reply #372 on: April 29, 2022, 09:53:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This the reason?

https://twitter.com/PFF_AustinGayle/status/1520215513665843200?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Per source, Georgia LB Nakobe Dean declined surgery on his shoulder, and it's now a major concern/medical red flag.
Wow, did not know about this! That is really unfortunate.

« Reply #373 on: April 29, 2022, 09:58:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

This the reason?

Yeah it might even be a bit more serious than thought:

https://twitter.com/MattLombardoNFL/status/1520217072298561536?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Per league source, there’s a feeling inside the #NFL Nakobe Dean is looking at a redshirt year due to Pec tear and meniscus in knee. #NFLDraft

« Reply #374 on: April 29, 2022, 10:01:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This the reason?

Yeah it might even be a bit more serious than thought:

https://twitter.com/MattLombardoNFL/status/1520217072298561536?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Per league source, there’s a feeling inside the #NFL Nakobe Dean is looking at a redshirt year due to Pec tear and meniscus in knee. #NFLDraft

Even as a redshirt his value becomes too good to pass up at some point, right?  I’d rather have Dean than the 25 year old punt returner the Bears just drafted, for instance.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes