Author Topic: Delonte West on the road to recovery  (Read 2265 times)

Delonte West on the road to recovery
« on: February 20, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Really great to see this. Kudos to Mark Cuban for helping to get Delonte the help he needed.

https://www.boston.com/sports/nba/2022/02/20/delonte-west-homeless-two-years-ago-hoping-for-big-3-comeback/?p1=hp_primary

Re: Delonte West on the road to recovery
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yup good karma there

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 04:33:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Good stuff, he was in a bad way for some time there.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 05:37:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
I hope delonte can keep his demons at bay. he will never "recover" or be free from them since they are built into his DNA. But with a lot of help and support, he increases his chances of having a better life.

Ultimately, he is up to him. No amount of support can help him if he does not make the choice himself.

Good luck to him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 05:52:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Good news. Love Delonte.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 06:02:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope delonte can keep his demons at bay. he will never "recover" or be free from them since they are built into his DNA. But with a lot of help and support, he increases his chances of having a better life.

Ultimately, he is up to him. No amount of support can help him if he does not make the choice himself.

Good luck to him.

Yeah.  Im not as optimistic as some others above.  Bi-polar mixed with substance abuse is a bad combo.  I hope he has a strong support network, but fear that he doesn’t.  This was just four months ago:

https://www.wptv.com/sports/basketball/former-nba-player-delonte-west-arrested-in-boynton-beach-after-banging-on-police-department-lobby-doors

Maybe basketball helps him as he stays on medication and off i alcohol and drugs.  I hope he finds stability.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Good luck to him.

Big part would be putting himself in best situations to stay stable.  I get that it seems like basketball would be a positive.  But can't help but wonder if high level competition is a double-edged sword.  Great initially for focus and body health, but eventually a lot of stress, with highs and lows.  And I assume travel (though I don't know anything about the big3).

Of course like everyone I hope he's getting the support he needs to keep going through the rough spots. 

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Delonte has fallen on hard times again.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-delonte-west-spotted-on-the-streets-begging-for-money/

Delonte is illustrative of so many people who struggle with severe mental health issues.  I know Delonte has been diagnosed with bi-polar, and I think that he has a cooccurring substance abuse problem.  These are extraordinarily complicated cases that require a strong support network.  Delonte has been given chances at rehab, but it seems like he has very few close friends or family that are able to get him to follow through.  It's sad.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 11:57:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-delonte-west-spotted-on-the-streets-begging-for-money/

Delonte is illustrative of so many people who struggle with severe mental health issues.  I know Delonte has been diagnosed with bi-polar, and I think that he has a cooccurring substance abuse problem.  These are extraordinarily complicated cases that require a strong support network.  Delonte has been given chances at rehab, but it seems like he has very few close friends or family that are able to get him to follow through.  It's sad.

Yeah, also I hate the people saying Cuban and the Mavs organization helped him just for the PR stint. At the end of the day, Delonte also has to have that drive and motivation to come out of this and go through the process, but it seems like you said he doesn't have a strong support network. Cuban can't monitor him 24/7.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Prayers sent .   There’s a good man inside him .

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 07:03:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That's a real shame.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 07:15:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

It's likely, they tend to go hand-in-hand.  In many ways, substance use can be somewhat effective in self-medication (e.g., alcohol for hypomania), until it's not.  Bipolar I is difficult to treat.  Manic episodes are inherently enjoyable which makes medication compliance (with their added nasty side effects) an ongoing battle.  Another issue is that unlike personality disorders - where symptoms can be much worse, and suicide risk tends to be higher - bipolar symptoms generally don't naturally subside with age.  I feel for the guy.  Hopefully he figures it out in time.  He was a great player and seemed to be a fun guy.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 05:24:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008