Author Topic: What about Brad?  (Read 14230 times)

Re: What about Brad?
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2023, 05:15:55 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Horford was brought back by Stevens, but he too, is an Ainge (free agent) guy.

This is not accurate. Ainge’s guy was clearly Kemba over Horford, not giving Brad the chance to have Smart as his PG (which he probably wanted to try after Cryie left—no way Brad really wanted Kemba’s D). If I had to guess, we signed Horford in 2016 to begin with because Brad wanted him (and it was part of the effort to get KD to sign with us). If I had to guess, make Brad the GM after Kyrie leaves, and I suspect we re-sign Horford and start Smart at PG, letting someone else sign the fool’s gold that was Kemba in 2019.

Better still, give Brad everything he wanted back at the start of the 2018 off-season, we still draft Timelord and I bet we deal Kyrie for Kawhi, Kawhi re-signs because of the matched basketball brilliance between Kawhi and Brad and Kawhi’s recognition that JT/JB give him his Big 3 (Clippers cannot match and LA native Paul Pierce talks Kawhi out of thinking LA is everything), we re-sign Horford in 2019 as our elder statesman, we re-sign Hayward in 2020 to be the next Havlicek, and we have one to four titles under our belt by now. Can you imagine having this available today:

Smart/Brogdon
JB/Brogdon
Kawhi/Hayward
JT/Hayward or Horford depending on matchup
Timelord/Horford

Bench: After nearly five years of Brad picking personnel, probably better than what we have today and certainly better than what Brad inherited from Ainge
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 05:24:57 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

no respect...

*sippin*

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2023, 08:40:20 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171

This is not accurate. Ainge’s guy was clearly Kemba over Horford, not giving Brad the chance to have Smart as his PG (which he probably wanted to try after Cryie left—no way Brad really wanted Kemba’s D). If I had to guess, we signed Horford in 2016 to begin with because Brad wanted him (and it was part of the effort to get KD to sign with us). If I had to guess, make Brad the GM after Kyrie leaves, and I suspect we re-sign Horford and start Smart at PG, letting someone else sign the fool’s gold that was Kemba in 2019.

Better still, give Brad everything he wanted back at the start of the 2018 off-season, we still draft Timelord and I bet we deal Kyrie for Kawhi, Kawhi re-signs because of the matched basketball brilliance between Kawhi and Brad and Kawhi’s recognition that JT/JB give him his Big 3 (Clippers cannot match and LA native Paul Pierce talks Kawhi out of thinking LA is everything), we re-sign Horford in 2019 as our elder statesman, we re-sign Hayward in 2020 to be the next Havlicek, and we have one to four titles under our belt by now. Can you imagine having this available today:

Smart/Brogdon
JB/Brogdon
Kawhi/Hayward
Timelord/Horford

Bench: After nearly five years of Brad picking personnel, probably better than what we have today and certainly better than what Brad inherited from Ainge
This is not accurate.
First, you have zero proof that Brad didn't want Kemba. I suspect that you are the one who wanted Al over Kemba. It was widely believed that there was no way to change Horford's mind about signing with Philly. At that point, the only recourse was to accuse Philly of tampering in order to stop the signing, which Danny did (showing that you're also wrong saying that Danny preferred Kemba over Al). It was after Kemba's signing that rumors ran that Al might want back now that the drama queen Kyrie was gone.
    It's also unlikely that Brad wanted Kahwi. Have you seen Brad give up significant assets for a one year rental? Nope. Again, you seem to think that your preferences are also Brad's. (No, Brad is not returning as coach, at least for a good while.)

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2023, 09:27:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brad has been mostly good.  I still don't like the decision to sign Vonleh and Jackson over competent players. 

The two other criticisms are: 1) not using the TPEs, and 2) not hiring another bench coach as soon as we lost Hardy and it was clear that Ime's return was questionable.  But, it's hard to tell if those decisions came from Brad, or Wyc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2023, 10:42:11 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Smart/Brogdon
JB/Brogdon
Kawhi/Hayward
Timelord/Horford

This is not accurate.
First, you have zero proof that Brad didn't want Kemba.

Literally the first move Brad executed as GM was sending Kemba and a decent 1st to OKC for Horford. It goes to show how much faith Brad has in Al. And then another extension after agreeing to pay him this year. It’s beyond obvious that Brad is all about paying Al for being one of the best Celtics post-Larry. Danny had no such loyalty to anybody. Just ask IT.

It was widely believed that there was no way to change Horford's mind about signing with Philly.

That’s not what I recall. What I recall is Danny did not want to spend that kind of money on Al and preferred to offer Kemba a max to get him instead of bringing back Al. I seem to recall whispers that Al would have re-signed with us had we matched Philly’s offer for Al, but we would have been short on max money for Kemba so he would have passed. I argue vehemently we would have been much better off 2019-2021 had we kept Al to finish out his career with us. Al was our first major free agent signing ever and look at how Danny mucked that up, with Brad trying to clean up the mess ever since.

It's also unlikely that Brad wanted Kahwi. Have you seen Brad give up significant assets for a one year rental? Nope.

Trading Kyrie for Kawhi in the 2018 off-season would have been trading one one-year rental for another while blocking a division rival in Toronto. Brad prioritizes defense, so of course I believe he would have dealt Kyrie for Kawhi, knowing he had Smart and Scary Terry to play PG. Brad realizes Kawhi is a #1 champion whereas Kyrie is LeBron’s over-hyped lil brother 🤣

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2023, 03:16:13 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Just saw this. I didn’t think Porzingis would agree to $30M annually after guys like Bane and VanVleet are getting $40M/Year. Brad is a Wizard. Gandalf the Green.

@NECN
While we wait to see if Jaylen Brown signs the most lucrative supermax contract in NBA history, the Celtics reportedly came to terms on a two-year, $60 million extension with recently acquired big man Kristaps Porzingis.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2023, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Trade Brad for Dame