Author Topic: 2022 Draft  (Read 35235 times)

Re: 2022 Draft
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2022, 02:13:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang I didn't realize the Draft is already today. Time flies, but also not that I'm expecting much from Boston but theoretically they could be involved in trades or talks tonight
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2022, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Dang I didn't realize the Draft is already today. Time flies, but also not that I'm expecting much from Boston but theoretically they could be involved in trades or talks tonight

Yeah, they have to do something quickly with that big TPE. So it should be something soon. This draft also seems kind of flat from the end of the lotto into the second round. That could be my preception due to mostly watching second round picks too....

« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This kid would be a sweet draft and stash guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrIwXJcRE-o

« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2022, 02:55:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Trade idea on RealGM forums for Kings #4 pick.

NY trades #11 & Randle for #4.

Gives Sacramento

G: Davion Mitchell
G: Fox
F: Barnes
F: Randle
C: Sabonis

Gives NY a chance to add a top prospect to rebuild properly.

That is an interesting looking Sacramento team.

« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2022, 05:13:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trade idea on RealGM forums for Kings #4 pick.

NY trades #11 & Randle for #4.

Gives Sacramento

G: Davion Mitchell
G: Fox
F: Barnes
F: Randle
C: Sabonis

Gives NY a chance to add a top prospect to rebuild properly.

That is an interesting looking Sacramento team.
I love the playmaking from the front court, but that defence would be yuck
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2022, 12:26:57 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Love the pick. Stevens has a natural ability for finding diamonds in the rough going back to his recruiting at Butler. The kid is raw talent in need of advanced coaching, just like Begarin. Let’s bring him and Begarin in as 13/14 guys.

« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2022, 12:29:32 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Love the pick. Stevens has a natural ability for finding diamonds in the rough going back to his recruiting at Butler. The kid is raw talent in need of advanced coaching, just like Begarin. Let’s bring him and Begarin in as 13/14 guys.

So what sets him apart from, say, Carson Edwards for you Greenly (and everyone else), or whatever other "small guards who can't shoot" that Ainge picked (to put it in some fans' words)

(not that I was that disappointed about the Carson Edwards pick or the other small guards, but just as a though exercise)

Edit: thought* exercise

« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2022, 12:33:31 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

So what sets him apart from, say, Carson Edwards for you Greenly (and everyone else), or whatever other "small guards who can't shoot" that Ainge picked (to put it in some fans' words)

(not that I was that disappointed about the Carson Edwards pick or the other small guards, but just as a though exercise)

Defense and Elite athletism.

« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2022, 12:54:26 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Defense and Elite athletism.

He's taller than AB I guess?

Carson was quite athletic but also 5'11 and not 6'3.

6 degrees of random bball players - AB was coached by Brad, who has now drafted JD Davison

« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2022, 01:32:05 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

And in what world is 6’2.5 small for a PG? The greatest defensive and passing PG of all-time is 6’1. 6’2.5 is not small in any world.

« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2022, 01:52:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And in what world is 6’2.5 small for a PG? The greatest defensive and passing PG of all-time is 6’1. 6’2.5 is not small in any world.
I think you can argue that he is small because he can only defend small guards. His physical weakness limits his versatility.

Maybe unversatile is more useful than small.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2022, 09:50:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Having had a few waking hours to digest the draft I have a few thoughts to save for posterity.

1. Going off of my tiered big board my pick would have clearly been Michael Foster Jr., I had him #34 in a large tier then ran from prospect 27-40. My next 3 would have been from the next tier ranging from 41-50 and the picks in that grouping where Justin Lewis, Butler Jr and Nzosa. Nzosa would have been my pick if Foster was off the board.

2. I was not high on Davison and had him #59th overall with Jordan Hall, Aminu Mohammed and Dereon Seabron ahead of him.

3. Despite having Davison just out of this draft I completely understand the pick. The Celtics have retained the major players in Danny Ainges front office to work with Stevens and JD Davison follows a couple of the previous drafting patterns they have established when drafting less .

He is an athletic sort of point guard with a great physical profile. Kadeem Allen, Demetrius Jackson, Terry Rozier, Etwan Moore, Avery Bradley, Lester Hudson, and Gabe Pruit all loosely fit this profile in the Ainge era.

He also fits into the pattern of targeting highly ranked "blue chip" high school prospects. J.D. was ranked 15th over all in the class of 2021 by ESPN coming out of high school with a scouting grade of 94. Rozier was a 92, Bradley a 98, Jackson 89, Langford 95, Young 94  along with Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Rob all being highly ranked out of high-school.

With this being our second Brad Stevens draft we may also see a pattern forming where Stevens prefers elite athletes with high ceilings over skill. Begarin last year was a swing for fences on a player with the physical profile of a lottery pick but a skill set that needs major development. The Davison pick fits as a high profile athlete who needs to develop. Long term this the front office betting on the players to work and the coaching staff to be able to develop these athletes into NBA players.

Drafting Davison was basically a "pre-draft" pick. Meaning the Celtics took a under productive freshman who could have easily worked himself into the first round had he stayed in college. His stats are actually very similar to freshman year Terry Rozier. JD had a very low usage rate as a freshman at only 18% had that bumped up into the TyTy Washingtons 22% and he shots a few % points better from 3 he would be a 20yr old 14pt 6rb 6ast prospect.   

4. On the non celtics side of things I will be interested to see how a few groups of comparable prospects pan out

At the top Paulo vs Chet vs Smith will be interesting. Three talented but drastically different types of NBA big.

How do the "project" wings play out? Houston, Watson, Monott ,Brown and Walker all where drafted as developmental guys. I was supervised that Brown and Walker where taken so late given their college productivity compared to the others.

My early rookie of the year pick is Ivey, I think he is in the perfect spot to thrive

My early pick for 2nd rounder to make all rookie team is Koloko

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:10:24 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
What is Orlando going to do?

Banchero
Carter
Bamba
Wagner
Isaac

« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2022, 10:34:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
What is Orlando going to do?

Banchero
Carter
Bamba
Wagner
Isaac

early rumors where that Bamba wasn't going to be resigned.

Annoying that Issac's salary is just above the Cs large TPE, he would be a gamble given his injury history but long term he is the perfect AL replacement. Trading 2023 1st and TPE for Issac would have been a worth while gamble. His salary could still be matched in a trade using Theis, Nesmith and Stauskas but seems unlikely.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2022, 04:37:19 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I've decided the Kings are deliberately trying to be bad.  There's no other explanation for not taking Ivey or trading down.  Look at their draft history:

T. Robinson 1 pick before Lillard
Jimmer 1 pick before Klay
Bagley 1 pick before Doncic

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC