Author Topic: 2022 Draft  (Read 35666 times)

Re: 2022 Draft
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2022, 10:05:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Some undrafted camp invites?:

Luka Brajkovic

Gaige Prim

Max Abmas

Keon Ellis

Bryson Williams

I’m slowly putting together a list of 2nd round bigs who may fit the Celtics offensive and most importantly defensive identity. Bryson Williams is an interesting option at 53 or as a camp invite. Being already 24 his development may be limited but at nearly 6’9 with a 7’2.25” wingspan and weighting almost 240lbs he has enough size to play the 5 in the NBA. If his 3pt shot proves to not just be a one year anomaly he will provide a nice offensive skill set at his size. On defense his lateral movements remind me a lot of AL. While he isn’t a shot blocker adding a likely 2-way big with perimeter skills and who can play the Cs switching style would be a nice addition.

Good breakdown, I'll be looking for your list. Did you check out Brajkovic? Prim? Pete Nance?
Muszynski?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 10:23:18 PM by liam »

« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2022, 02:10:24 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Who's gonna be Kevon Looney for the Celtics in this draft

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2022, 02:56:47 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Considering Looney went in the first round, probably no one.

« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2022, 03:01:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Guys like Oscar Tshiebwe and Armando Bacot are guys I would have loved us to try and get, but they’re both returning to college I think. I would still hope, if possible in the next draft, that we nab one of them.

Jaylin Williams would be excellent, but I fear his draft stock has risen too high for us. He’s the perfect prototypical big man for how we defend.

Christian Koloko is another guy I’d look at - 7’1”, 230lbs, reigning PAC DPOY, 7’5.5” wingspan and 9’5” standing reach, and developed a lot over his most recent season. He averaged almost identical blocks and fouls, which is always impressive. He’s huge. Not very switchable and struggles in the PnR, but I reckon our coaches could improve him there.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2022, 10:39:51 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Guys like Oscar Tshiebwe and Armando Bacot are guys I would have loved us to try and get, but they’re both returning to college I think. I would still hope, if possible in the next draft, that we nab one of them.

Jaylin Williams would be excellent, but I fear his draft stock has risen too high for us. He’s the perfect prototypical big man for how we defend.

Christian Koloko is another guy I’d look at - 7’1”, 230lbs, reigning PAC DPOY, 7’5.5” wingspan and 9’5” standing reach, and developed a lot over his most recent season. He averaged almost identical blocks and fouls, which is always impressive. He’s huge. Not very switchable and struggles in the PnR, but I reckon our coaches could improve him there.

Looney is interesting because he handled the ball and faced up a lot more in college then you would assume from his NBA role.

I agree Jaylin Williams would be a nice fit, love how he hunts for charges

I disagree with Koloko, watching his games his mobility for a true 7' really stood out to me. I think he will be mobile enough to fit into the Celtics defensive scheme.

With that I cant see Williams or Koloko falling outside the top 40 in this draft
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2022, 10:39:57 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/6/7/23157955/projecting-the-celtics-pick-at-53

wrote up a break down of the players I would be excited for at #53 who I also think may be available.

As futile as it is to predict the 2nd round in the NBA draft my draft obsessed mind keeps trying to project the Celtics lone 2022 Draft pick. While the odds of hitting on a player are low past drafts have yielded solid value this late. The following recent players have had some level of sustainable success in the NBA after falling outside the top 45 in their drafts.

2019   Isaiah Roby   Talen Horton-Tucker   Terance Mann   Jalen McDaniels   
2018   Hamidou Diallo   De'Anthony Melton   Shake Milton      
2017   Dillon Brooks   Monte Morris         
2016   Georges Niang   Abdel Nader         
2015   Norman Powell            
2014   Dwight Powell   Jordan Clarkson         

* I wanted to give the 2021 and 2020 class time before judging the 2nd round. I also arbitrary stopped at 2014

Projecting players who will be available in the late 2nd is also a very difficult task. Outside of the 20s this draft like most drafts has large tier groups that likely very greatly between teams. I took two mocks Tankathons and NBADRAFT.nets and overlayed their top 45 picks. If a player was in the top 45 of both mocks, I eliminated then from my pool of available players. I also excluded Jaylin Williams and Caleb Houston. Williams I’ll be shocked to see drop past #45 and Houston is rumored to have a promise. (My $ is on Toronto at #33). Its worth noting that 2nd round deals can very from guaranteed money for multiple seasons to 2-way deals. This seems to influence where some players are drafted based on pre-draft conversations over willingness to draft and stash or take a 2-way.

Draft philosophy does play a major role in the 2nd round and the last two drafts the Celtics have opted to go the draft and stash route with Madar and Begarin. This could again be the case with Khalifa Diop or Yannick Nzosa both being possible stash options who could develop into future rotational bigs for the Celtics. If they do go D&S the amount of open roster spots on the Celtics should make them a priority landing spot for post draft free agents looking to land a 2-way or full roster spot.
This is my list of non-stash players who I would be excited to see the Celtics land with the #53

Big
Michael Foster, he is an old school PF in the Julius Randle mold who was previously ranked as the 9th best prospect in his high school class by ESPN.  He was productive in the G-League averaging just under 16pts 10rb 2blk in 30mpg. Like many players coming into the NBA offensively his swing skill will be his 3pt shot. Defensively he will never be elite given his physical profile, but I am also confident that he can defend the perimeter well enough to stay on the court in a playoff series. 

John Butler, measuring 7'1 (in shoes) and only 174 lbs. is a major red flag, I typically am very low on prospects who are this physically underdeveloped, but Butler’s combination of skills and physical tools make him a worthwhile gamble in the 2nd round. He has elite lateral mobility for a 7', with a 9'4 standing reach he provides rim protection and shot 39% from 3. He looks very comfortable defensively and offensively on the perimeter. For the Celtics I can envision him playing Rob's role on defense where he defends a perimeter player but constantly drops into the paint to protect the rim and scrambles to close out on his man. Players with size who can do this on defense are rare even rarer are those that can shoot the 3. 

Isiah Mobley, another highly ranked high school prospect (16th in the class of 2019) he is the smaller less athletic brother of Even Mobley, I would physically compare him to Looney as both entered the league at around 6'9.5" (in shoes) 240lbs. Mobley has a 7'3" wingspan compared to Looneys 7'4". What really stands out to me is his offensive skill set. I’m confident that he will be able to shoot and pass the ball at a high enough level to earn himself time on the court. I would expect him to be able to take most centers off the dribble and his ability to grab and go could be a major asset for a team that likes to push the pace.

Bryson Williams, older prospect (24 yrs.) and because of this he has a likely lower ceiling then the other bigs in my list. Has just enough size at 6'8.75"(in shoes) 237lbs and a 7'2.25" WS to play the 5 in the NBA. He looks like he moves well on D and reminds me a lot of AL the way he moves. Not a flashy prospect but one who has a good shot at carving out a bench role in the NBA. I suspect he goes undrafted but gets a 2-way quickly after the draft.   

Makur Maker, Thon Maker's younger cousin like Foster and Mobley he is another highly ranked high school player (16th in the class of 2020) he played 2 games for Howard in the 20-21 season but injured was injured in the 2nd game of the season and then covid shut the team down after 9 games. Most draft sites do not mock him in the top 60 but I am convinced he needs to be given a shot in the NBA. He most recently played for the champions of the NBL and was relegated to a much more defined role on the team. Watching a few of his playoff games it really jumped out at me how well he can move on defense. At 6'11 (in shoes) 232lbs with a 7'1.25" WS he moves exceptionally well. Offensively he needs to be held in check, he looks erratic at times when trying to do too much but should be a capable grab and go threat in the NBA as well as a big with a reliable outside shot.

Swing
Jabari Walker, I suspect he goes higher than many mocks project. Reminds me a lot of Thad Young. A soph who will still be 19 at the time of the draft. He rebounds at a high level and projects as a solid 3pt shooter. Would be a steal in the late 2nd.

Darius Days, A tweener in the Draymond/Grant Williams mold Days should be able to defend multiple positions in the NBA with his mobility, strength and length. His measurements are almost identical to Draymond’s at 6'7 (in shoes) 239lbs with a 7'1"WS. Offensively he should have no issue transitioning to a 3-D role. He shot 35% on 6 attempts from 3 at LSU. I also like the intensity he brings to the game. The first LSU game I watch to check out Eason and Days clearly stood out.

Julian Champagnie, He has been talked about a lot already. He has good size for a wing at just under 6'8 (in shoes) 212lbs with a 6'10ws. He was very productive at St Johns and profiles as a nice backup 3/4 who can play team defense and hot open shots. Not a high ceiling guy but a solid roster filling player at a premium position.

Ron Harper Jr., He is a player who I have debated with a lot and might be better suited to be an undrafted FA. He has a unique frame for an NBA player measurement very similar but longer then Jaw Crowder at 6’5.5” (in shoes) 240lbs. with a massive 7’1.25”ws. He came to the combine with a body fat % of 14.3% this is likely splitting hairs, but I do think shedding a little weight would help him in the NBA. If he has the lateral quickness to stay with NBA wings he projects as a very useful 3-D player.   

Wing
Aminu Mohammed, A bulldog type wing defender whose measurements are nearly identical to Dwayne Wades. 6'5(in shoes) 212lbs with a 6'11ws. His offensive game is a major work in progress but if the coaching staff can refine his shot, he is very easy to project as a super switchable wing capable of playing in a playoff series.

Jordan Hall, A jumbo initiator type Wing at 6'8.5" (in shoes) 210lbs with only a 6'9ws he may with time be able to defend up he is an excellent passer and could be a "connecting" type perimeter player along the same archetypal lines as Lonzo Ball or Kyle Anderson. Adding a + sized wing to move the ball alongside dominant scorers makes for great offense. He will have to show that he can athletically hang in the NBA

Johnny Juzang, after a great college career and possessing great size at 6’6.5” (in shoes) 208 lbs. with a 6’11” wingspan and athleticism for the NBA it’s hard for me to see Juzang not finding a role given the need to wing depth in the NBA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2022, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I wanted Looney over RJ Hunter. That held up well over time.

« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2022, 11:28:27 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I wanted Looney over RJ Hunter. That held up well over time.

Who's your pick this time

(Doesn't have to be a big, but just the idea of adding a solid role player to an already contending Celtics, much like the Warriors did with Looney).

« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2022, 11:50:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I have a similar group of guys who I would be interested in looking at with #53 as CFAN38 (despite not having invested as much time in this draft - real life has gotten in the way!), so there is some overlap in prospects. That just means that the Celtics should pick them!

Vince Williams: 6'6" wing out of VCU. 210lbs, 7' wingspan, 21 years old. He's developed into a really solid wing player over the last couple of seasons, shooting 39.7% from three (108/272) whilst improving his interior scoring in his senior season. He's a solid rebounder, good passer and plays really solid team defence. He's not an elite athlete, but he makes up for it with a good understanding of the game on both ends of the floor. He reminds me of Middleton coming out of college, however I am not anticipating he makes the same absurd developmental jumps Middleton did in the NBA.

Jabari Walker: 6'9" swing out of Colorado. 215lbs, 7' wingspan, 19 years old. Walker had a super efficient college career (career splits of 52/40/78). He'll still be 19 when/if drafted, has the physical tools to play in switch-heavy defensive schemes, and he has a really solid motor. He led the PAC-12 in rebounding with 9.4 per game, and he should be able to fill out a bit to get even more versatile on defence. He has a nice, if slow shooting release, but has a good history of shooting from both the arc and the FT line. Not going to create many looks for himself or others.

Justin Lewis: 6'7" swing out of Marquette. 245lbs, 7'2.5" wingspan, 20 years old. I really like his defensive potential, especially in a scheme like ours. He has the size and length to guard bigger guys, but he can still stay low enough to keep up with guards on the perimeter. He's not as strong as Grant, but I think he'd be great in that kind of role. He uses his athleticism to finish on the interior pretty well, and made a huge shooting jump in his second college season. Not super consistent and not a good playmaker either off the dribble for himself of for others.

Leonardo Okeke: 6'9" swing/big playing overseas. Around 215-220lbs, unknown wingspan but looks 7'+ to me on tape, 18 years old. He's a big sleeper for me, and is by far the most speculative of the guys I've listed. He's a really odd prospect - quite different to the stereotypes that surround non-American prospects of African heritage. His offensive game sort of reminds me of Jabari Parker - really soft touch in the mid and low post, and enjoys contact, but is not a shooter. However, Okeke is only 18 and has knees. His defensive upside is decent, showing good shot-blocking instincts and rebounds well. He'd be a stash guy similar to Begarin and Madar I imagine.

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2022, 05:38:54 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
If Ainge is still the guy at the helm he will definite bag another tweener PG ala Carsen Edwrds..he is dang obsessed with those types...lol

« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2022, 06:02:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If Ainge is still the guy at the helm he will definite bag another tweener PG ala Carsen Edwrds..he is dang obsessed with those types...lol
Are we talking about the Jazz? Because that's where Danny works

« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2022, 06:39:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Are we talking about the Jazz? Because that's where Danny works
Also, now probably isn't the best time to bag on Danny about his drafting given that six of the core players on this team are Ainge draft picks and the team is 3 wins away from a title.

« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2022, 09:49:11 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
Ainge's strategy in the 2nd round (often, not always) was to take...

--Someone who led the NCAA in scoring (or was close)
--A conference player-of-the-year (even from a lesser conference)
--Someone with one unique skill (ex. Tako Fall)
--The best athlete left

I wonder how Brad's philosophy on second-rounders might change.

« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Ainge's strategy in the 2nd round (often, not always) was to take...

--Someone who led the NCAA in scoring (or was close)
--A conference player-of-the-year (even from a lesser conference)
--Someone with one unique skill (ex. Tako Fall)
--The best athlete left

I wonder how Brad's philosophy on second-rounders might change.

Tacko wasn't drafted. He signed as 2 way after not getting drafted.

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2022, 03:37:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Aminu Mohammed reminds me of Jaylen with the way he moves. Fairly raw but could be a useful back up wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCybecuT1c