Author Topic: 21-22 College Football Thread  (Read 36503 times)

Re: 21-22 College Football Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2021, 11:48:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
To be fair, that wasn't a terrible loss by Cincy really. They actually kept it close for quite a bit of time and the defense was fine. Offense just couldn't do much. But they had a great season and showed they belong in the mix going forward as well.

I hope Michigan wins. There's just something about them this season that feels special and I think they got a real shot at beating Alabama while I fully expect Georgia to choke against Bama again if they meet.
Cincy defense gave up 301 rushing yards to what may be the worst rushing Bama team in the Saban era.  That's more than twice the rushing yards Bama was averaging this year.  The total yardage for the game was 482 to 218.  Hard to get too much more dominating than that.

It was 17-6 deep into the third, but Cinci completely ran out of gas defensively at that point. They also got stopped twice fairly deep in Alabama territory in the 4th on downs. So the score was really about as bad as it could have been. Alabama was clearly a better team, but it was a much more competitive game than georgia michigan which was a joke and over early second quarter.

« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2022, 01:22:19 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
To be fair, that wasn't a terrible loss by Cincy really. They actually kept it close for quite a bit of time and the defense was fine. Offense just couldn't do much. But they had a great season and showed they belong in the mix going forward as well.

I hope Michigan wins. There's just something about them this season that feels special and I think they got a real shot at beating Alabama while I fully expect Georgia to choke against Bama again if they meet.
Cincy defense gave up 301 rushing yards to what may be the worst rushing Bama team in the Saban era.  That's more than twice the rushing yards Bama was averaging this year.  The total yardage for the game was 482 to 218.  Hard to get too much more dominating than that.

It was 17-6 deep into the third, but Cinci completely ran out of gas defensively at that point. They also got stopped twice fairly deep in Alabama territory in the 4th on downs. So the score was really about as bad as it could have been. Alabama was clearly a better team, but it was a much more competitive game than georgia michigan which was a joke and over early second quarter.
Bama's drives in the 1st half resulted in TD, FG, punt, missed FG and TD. 
Cincy's drives in the 1st half resulted in FG, punt, punt, punt, downs. 
Bama's dive in the 2nd half resulted in punt, interception, TD, FG and end of game. 
Cincy's drives in the 2nd half resulted in FG, punt, punt, downs, downs.

The five Cincy punts were all 3 and outs.  Bama didn't have a problem driving on the Cincy defense.  Cincy had a big problem driving on the Bama defense.  The score most definitely could have been worse. 

« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2022, 09:07:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
With Olave and Wilson skipping the game, Smith-Njigba had 15 catches for 347 yards and 3 TD's in the Buckeyes come from behind win over Utah in the Rose Bowl.  Stroud went 37 for 46 for 573 yards and 6 TD's with 1 INT.  Not a bad day, though the FBS record for receiving was set by Troy Edwards with 405.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2022, 11:50:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS TAKE DOWN BAMA AND WIN THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Great game by Georgia and they finally exorcised their demons beating Alabama.

Overall that felt like a great NCAAF season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2022, 11:58:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Great game by Georgia.  They completely shut down the run, making Bama one dimensional.

Injuries were big, too.  Alabama was thin at WR and CB, and it showed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2022, 02:35:36 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Great game by Georgia.  They completely shut down the run, making Bama one dimensional.

Injuries were big, too.  Alabama was thin at WR and CB, and it showed.
Didn't expect Bama to make it past the SEC championship so I'm content even with the loss.  Losing Williams was one injury too much.     

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2022, 04:22:14 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Bama's drives in the 1st half resulted in TD, FG, punt, missed FG and TD. 
Cincy's drives in the 1st half resulted in FG, punt, punt, punt, downs. 
Bama's dive in the 2nd half resulted in punt, interception, TD, FG and end of game. 
Cincy's drives in the 2nd half resulted in FG, punt, punt, downs, downs.

The five Cincy punts were all 3 and outs.  Bama didn't have a problem driving on the Cincy defense.  Cincy had a big problem driving on the Bama defense.  The score most definitely could have been worse.

Lol. Lot of words to say nothing that disagreed with what I said. The game was 17-6 deep into the third. Cinci had a few drives that ended deep in Alabama territory. It was also a lot more competitive than Georgia Michigan. These are just objective facts. Also not that surprising Georgia won tonight given this.

« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Looks like Bama-Georgia III for the national title. Michigan has no answers for Georgia thus far.

Did you see that Everett’s own Lewis Cine was nominated defensive player of the game? What an honor for Everett. On their previous game he played against Michigan who also has an Everett player.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2022, 09:48:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Really entertaining game last night.  The speed of both defenses was something else.  Lots of NFL prospects there.

I thought Bennett was a deer in highlights much of that game. He did a complete 180 after that fumble/Bama recovery.  Hats off to him because I did not see that coming.   

Good for Georgia fans.  Bit of a tortured fanbase the past 40 years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2022, 03:46:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Cincinnati, Houston, and Central Florida are all going to pay 18 million to leave the American and join the Big 12 on July 1, 2023.  BYU was already set to join that summer (as an independent they didn't need to go the buy out option).  Oklahoma and Texas are supposed to stay until the summer of 2025, so if that doesn't change the Big 12 will have 10 teams this year, then 14 teams in 23 and 24, before going back to 12 in 25 and beyond.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
College football is wild.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
 · 2m
Sources: Can confirm @wilnerhotline that USC and UCLA are exploring a move to the Big Ten. The schools have been researching the move for the past few months, and the financial disparity between Big Ten revenue and projected Pac-12 revenue proved the biggest factor.

« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2022, 02:03:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
 · 2m
Sources: Can confirm @wilnerhotline that USC and UCLA are exploring a move to the Big Ten. The schools have been researching the move for the past few months, and the financial disparity between Big Ten revenue and projected Pac-12 revenue proved the biggest factor.

As a Big 10 (14 technically) fan, I definitely don’t want this.

« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
 · 2m

As a Big 10 (14 technically) fan, I definitely don’t want this.

At least the Hoosiers would finally play in the Rose Bowl again!

« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2022, 02:09:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why don't we just have two conferences, the SEC and the Big 10?  They can poach whatever other relevant teams are out there -- Clemson, ND, maybe Florida -- and everyone else can be relegated to the "championship subdivision".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2022, 02:16:41 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Maryland football fan here.  I hated the idea when they left the ACC and joined the Big 10.  Fast forward and I have enjoyed going to MD home games and seeing Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State.  Never had an opportunity to see either USC or UCLA in person.  Maybe sooner than later.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain