Author Topic: 21-22 College Football Thread  (Read 36453 times)

Re: 21-22 College Football Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
A bit surprised they kept Ohio State ahead of Baylor. I know it really doesn't matter past 4 for teams that are in the New Years 6 bowls, but I figured the championship for Baylor would have elevated them to at least 6 if not 5.  Makes me wonder what would have happened had Cincinnati or Alabama lost opening the door for that 4th spot
Norte Dame maybe?
maybe but that loss to Cincinnati even then they'd have to really overlook.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2021, 03:25:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Rest of New Years 6

Rose - Utah v. Ohio St.
Fiesta - Notre Dame v. Oklahoma St.
Sugar - Baylor v. Mississippi
Peach - Pittsburgh v. Michigan St.

« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2021, 06:03:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
No surprise

1. Alabama v. 4. Cincinnati in Dallas
2. Michigan v. 3. Georgia in Miami

No way, I'm stunned.

Jokes aside, I'm ecstatic for that Michigan-Georgia game, should be good. Alabama will win but I hope Cincy can put up a good fight and prove they deserve not just respect for making the CFP but showing they belong with this sort of group going forward. Already been a stellar season for them going undefeated with wins over Houston, SMU, Notre Dame in the mix too.
If Bama plays like they did yesterday, it'll be one of the Bama cakewalks like they have against Notre Dame.  If Bama plays like they did against Auburn or Texas A&M, Cincy has a real shot. 

I expect Georgia to put the clamps on the Michigan running game.  That big nose tackle of theirs will be able to stay on the field a lot more against Michigan than he didn't against Bama.  I don't see McNamara doing much through the air.  So it will be up to the Michigan D to contain the Georgia offense and make it a defensive struggle. 

« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2021, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

Jokes aside, I'm ecstatic for that Michigan-Georgia game, should be good. Alabama will win but I hope Cincy can put up a good fight and prove they deserve not just respect for making the CFP but showing they belong with this sort of group going forward. Already been a stellar season for them going undefeated with wins over Houston, SMU, Notre Dame in the mix too.
If Bama plays like they did yesterday, it'll be one of the Bama cakewalks like they have against Notre Dame.  If Bama plays like they did against Auburn or Texas A&M, Cincy has a real shot. 

I expect Georgia to put the clamps on the Michigan running game.  That big nose tackle of theirs will be able to stay on the field a lot more against Michigan than he didn't against Bama.  I don't see McNamara doing much through the air.  So it will be up to the Michigan D to contain the Georgia offense and make it a defensive struggle.
What Georgia offense?

« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2021, 11:07:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?
Maybe the one that averaged over 420 yards and around 5 TDs per game? Maybe that one.

« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2021, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?
The one that is averaging just under 40 points per game and 437 yards per game for the season.  The one that had 449 yards against Bama.  The one that had touchdown drives of 97 yards, 75 yards and 75 yards against Bama.  The one that had 30 1st downs to Bama's 25 1st downs. 

The big difference in the game was the 2 interceptions and Bama was much more efficient on 3rd downs. 

« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2021, 11:35:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?
Maybe the one that averaged over 420 yards and around 5 TDs per game? Maybe that one.
Eh, they played crap defenses all season, except for Clemson and Alabama (Auburn's was ok).  The SEC East had zero quality defenses (other than Georgia) and they didn't play anyone else that had good defenses.  Oh and BTW, 420 yards a game is good for 27th in the country though the scoring offense was 7th.  I just don't buy their offense and I do think we all overrated Georgia some based on how good they looked, but they didn't play any good teams until Alabama.  Their best win ended up being 19th ranked Clemson.  They also beat 21 Arkansas and 22 Kentucky.  Their defense is fantastic, but their offense is suspect.  I could absolutely see them being in another 10-3 type game with Michigan. 

« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2021, 11:47:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?
Eh, they played crap defenses all season, except for Clemson and Alabama (Auburn's was ok).  The SEC East had zero quality defenses (other than Georgia) and they didn't play anyone else that had good defenses.  Oh and BTW, 420 yards a game is good for 27th in the country though the scoring offense was 7th.  I just don't buy their offense and I do think we all overrated Georgia some based on how good they looked, but they didn't play any good teams until Alabama.  Their best win ended up being 19th ranked Clemson.  They also beat 21 Arkansas and 22 Kentucky.  Their defense is fantastic, but their offense is suspect.  I could absolutely see them being in another 10-3 type game with Michigan.
Well if that's your stance, I am guessing you must feel that your Bearcats have no offense either as they have extremely similar offensive stats and played an easier schedule than Georgia did. So much for Cincy's chances at a national title, because what offense do they have? According to you, not much at all.

« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2021, 12:01:49 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?

Maybe, but there’s also talk about whether Georgia might consider a QB switch, so their offense could have some imperfections.

I also think the Michigan offense is quite underrated.  It’s very explosive — Michigan led college football in 50+-yard plays, and they’ve gone up against 3 of the top 10 defenses according to Football Outsiders.  They can put points on the board, and have been trending upwards as the season went along. 

Their passing offense was dealt an early blow when their best receiver went down in the first half of the opener.  It really started to pick up after the bye, and the leading receiver four of the last six weeks has been a true freshman (3 different ones).  McNamara chucked away a lot of balls early in the season because weren’t getting open/ran the wrong routes.  That’s pretty rare now.  The offense is night and day from their early games this year.  As is, Georgia is ranked third in offense and Michigan 4th (again by Football Outsiders), but I suspect those results would be at a minimum flipped if just the last 6-7 weeks were used.

« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2021, 12:30:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?

Maybe, but there’s also talk about whether Georgia might consider a QB switch, so their offense could have some imperfections.

I also think the Michigan offense is quite underrated.  It’s very explosive — Michigan led college football in 50+-yard plays, and they’ve gone up against 3 of the top 10 defenses according to Football Outsiders.  They can put points on the board, and have been trending upwards as the season went along. 

Their passing offense was dealt an early blow when their best receiver went down in the first half of the opener.  It really started to pick up after the bye, and the leading receiver four of the last six weeks has been a true freshman (3 different ones).  McNamara chucked away a lot of balls early in the season because weren’t getting open/ran the wrong routes.  That’s pretty rare now.  The offense is night and day from their early games this year.  As is, Georgia is ranked third in offense and Michigan 4th (again by Football Outsiders), but I suspect those results would be at a minimum flipped if just the last 6-7 weeks were used.
All good stuff, 2021. TP. But all I was trying to do was illustrate what a bad take it is to insinuate that Georgia had little to no offense or a bad one. They clearly have a top notch offense, as do Alabama, Cincy and Michigan.

« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?
Well if that's your stance, I am guessing you must feel that your Bearcats have no offense either as they have extremely similar offensive stats and played an easier schedule than Georgia did. So much for Cincy's chances at a national title, because what offense do they have? According to you, not much at all.
I do.  Cincinnati's offense is built on a NFL caliber QB (Ridder is projected as the 4th or 5th QB to be drafted) and NFL caliber WR (Pierce) and a relatively big OL that overpowered generally undersized DL's, but against great teams they can't move the ball well.  We saw a very similar Georgia and Cincinnati play last year in the bowl game and it was a defensive struggle with very inconsistent offensive production.  Eventually Georgia's superior depth wore down UC.  UC was up 21-10 entering the 4th quarter in that game last year before Georgia scored the last 14 points to win 24-21 (game winning FG with 3 seconds left to go up 1 and then a safety on the last play to win by 3). 

Cincinnati isn't going to drop 30 on Alabama (at least with their offense).  If they have any shot of winning, it will have to be a very similar game to that Georgia game (or ND game earlier this year), where Cincinnati's defense keeps them in it and the best QB in that game (at least currently) gives them a chance to win late.  I mean they held ND to 13 points this year.  ND's 27-13 win against Purdue was the next lowest points they scored in a game this year.  Cincinnati wins games because of their defense and by having the best QB in every game they've played (he makes just enough plays offensively).  If they beat Alabama it will be because of their defense, not their offense (and to be clear I absolutely expect Alabama to win, they just have more talent top to bottom basically everywhere, except perhaps QB, which gives me a glimmer of hope).

« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?
I do.  Cincinnati's offense is built on a NFL caliber QB (Ridder is projected as the 4th or 5th QB to be drafted) and NFL caliber WR (Pierce) and a relatively big OL that overpowered generally undersized DL's, but against great teams they can't move the ball well.  We saw a very similar Georgia and Cincinnati play last year in the bowl game and it was a defensive struggle with very inconsistent offensive production.  Eventually Georgia's superior depth wore down UC.  UC was up 21-10 entering the 4th quarter in that game last year before Georgia scored the last 14 points to win 24-21 (game winning FG with 3 seconds left to go up 1 and then a safety on the last play to win by 3). 

Cincinnati isn't going to drop 30 on Alabama (at least with their offense).  If they have any shot of winning, it will have to be a very similar game to that Georgia game (or ND game earlier this year), where Cincinnati's defense keeps them in it and the best QB in that game (at least currently) gives them a chance to win late.  I mean they held ND to 13 points this year.  ND's 27-13 win against Purdue was the next lowest points they scored in a game this year.  Cincinnati wins games because of their defense and by having the best QB in every game they've played (he makes just enough plays offensively).  If they beat Alabama it will be because of their defense, not their offense (and to be clear I absolutely expect Alabama to win, they just have more talent top to bottom basically everywhere, except perhaps QB, which gives me a glimmer of hope).
You can strike except perhaps QB.  If Young were in this draft class, he'd be the 1st QB taken.
The position Cincy might have an advantage is CB. 

« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2021, 10:31:26 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?

Isn't Alabama's QB is the odds-on favorite to win the Heisman?

« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?

Ridder provides a rushing element that Young does not.  Young is a pure pocket passer.  He is certainly a better pocket passer than Ridder, but the running element does provide an advantage that Young does not have.

« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
No surprise

No way, I'm stunned.

What Georgia offense?

Ridder provides a rushing element that Young does not.  Young is a pure pocket passer.  He is certainly a better pocket passer than Ridder, but the running element does provide an advantage that Young does not have.
I agree Cincy can use Ridder as a running threat but your description of Young really isn't accurate.  The main advantage Ridder has on Young is his size. 

Young was classified as a Dual Threat QB by the rating services and ran a fair amount in high school.  Per the 247composite, Young was the #2 recruit in the 2020 class.  At Bama, there aren't any planned running plays for Young but he is a good runner.  He is definitely pass first.  However, he uses his excellent mobility to extend plays to buy time for receivers to get open.  He runs well but does so as a last resort. 

Against Georgia, he scrambled 3 times for 40 yards with a touchdown.  He also had a sweet scramble where he pitched to Robinson right before being tackled. 

The comparison I see a lot for Young is Russell Wilson.  Young should become the best Bama QB during the Saban years.