Author Topic: Simone Biles  (Read 44175 times)

Re: Simon Biles
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2021, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Honest question - and I am trying to take in everybody's opinion - if Biles lands her first vault, do you think she quits?

On a side note, Larisa Latynina is obviously the goat. As a Cs fan, if you believe Russell is the best ever, then it would be hypocritical to say that Latynina isn't.

It is not at all obvious.  These olympians don't just come out of storage every 4 years.  They compete on a world stage year after year, whether you pay attention or not.  To label someone best ever based only on olympic results is like claiming Eli Manning is better than Aaron Rogers because of their superbowl records.  It's asinine.  Good luck finding anyone in the gymnastics community outside of Russia that would argue against Bile's case.
Latynina didn't only compete in the Olympics though.  She also has 9 gold medals at the World Championships to go along with her 9 gold medals in the Olympics.  She has 4 more silver and 1 bronze in the World championships to go along with her 5 silver and 4 bronze in the Olympics.  She has 7, 6, and 1 in the European championships as well.  And when Larisa competed the World Championships and European Championships were every 4 years, just like the Olympics.  Simone had the benefit of having them every non-Olympic year (so 3 times as many). 

There is no question at all Larisa Latynina is the greatest female gymnast of all time.  It isn't close.

Also, as an aside, Larisa competed at the 1958 World Championships while she was pregnant.  Her daughter was born 5 months after the competition.  At those World Championships, she led the Soviet team to the Gold Medal, won the All Around Gold, won the gold medal on 3 apparatus (Vault, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam), and took silver on the floor exercise.  She was 3-4 months pregnant and dominated the world competition.  She told no one she was pregnant so they wouldn't stop her from competing.   

Do your homework.  Biles has 19 world championship golds, 25 total.  This on top of her 5 Olympic golds.  If we are going by medal counts, Biles has everyone beat by a country mile.  We haven’t even touched on the fact that she has been able to perform physical feats that no other human has.  Again, ask anyone involved with gymnastics where she stands all time and get back to us.

Did you read Mo’s post?  You don’t think it’s relevant that Biles has 3x more opportunities at World Championships?

LL won 25 golds in major world events and 46 medals overall.

She’s the GOAT.  Resumes matter.

And Biles is the most individually skilled.
This feels like Jerry Rice vs Randy Moss, lol

To be honest, it’s kind of dumb to try to compare eras of any sport.  Bill Russel and Michael Jordan played in completely different leagues.  Gymnasts of the 60’s can’t even contemplate what gymnasts are doing today.  You can compare against contemporaries, but cross generational comparisons are bound to run into issues.

Shhhhhhh……. don’t disturb their bliss.

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2021, 12:48:19 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think it's a disgraceful way to exit a team competition.  She screwed up her vault, then decided to take her ball and go home. This is the outcome of rearing a generation of participation trophy kids.

The New York Times publishes an article entitled "Simone Biles makes a mistake on vault," fueling the narrative deemed socially acceptable by our coastal elites.  Oh my gosh... she made a mistake?! This poor woman!  She can't possibly continue in competition! In 2021, only a sexist or racist would expect one to continue competing for her team!

I don't think it's a coincidence that our woke men's basketball and women's soccer teams have both underperformed thus far; if athletes hate the country their representing, they shouldn't be representatives.

This feels like a PR move to increase her long-term earning capacity; I didn't know who she was prior to these Olympics and suspect many others didn't either, but Olympic athletes tend to fade in memory.

But now, Simone has given herself the opportunity to prolong her legacy and earning capacity in America by.... wait for it... being a victim in America!  It's truly ingenious.  Her play folds perfectly into government-controlled woke culture and "victimitis," at a time when half the country believes we deserve to lose, and the other half wants to see us lose because they reject communism.  It's truly brilliant.

Simone was cool, calm, collected, and showed great interpersonal skills in the post-event presser.  Biles is surrounded by all the world-class resources and mental health support that one could fathom.  Having been around mentally ill people for the majority of my life, personally and professionally, she was absolutely in a state to compete. Whether you agree or disagree with her decision, she was certainly able to compete.

Most of you hate me, and that's okay, but I still hope we can agree that all voices should be heard within community standards.  And I challenge you to ask yourself -- if Simone was a white male, would he have received the same treatment? I highly suspect not.

Race card??? Didn’t know it would take 6 pages to get there. Congratulations!!

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2021, 02:15:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think it's a disgraceful way to exit a team competition.  She screwed up her vault, then decided to take her ball and go home. This is the outcome of rearing a generation of participation trophy kids.

The New York Times publishes an article entitled "Simone Biles makes a mistake on vault," fueling the narrative deemed socially acceptable by our coastal elites.  Oh my gosh... she made a mistake?! This poor woman!  She can't possibly continue in competition! In 2021, only a sexist or racist would expect one to continue competing for her team!

I don't think it's a coincidence that our woke men's basketball and women's soccer teams have both underperformed thus far; if athletes hate the country their representing, they shouldn't be representatives.

This feels like a PR move to increase her long-term earning capacity; I didn't know who she was prior to these Olympics and suspect many others didn't either, but Olympic athletes tend to fade in memory.

But now, Simone has given herself the opportunity to prolong her legacy and earning capacity in America by.... wait for it... being a victim in America!  It's truly ingenious.  Her play folds perfectly into government-controlled woke culture and "victimitis," at a time when half the country believes we deserve to lose, and the other half wants to see us lose because they reject communism.  It's truly brilliant.

Simone was cool, calm, collected, and showed great interpersonal skills in the post-event presser.  Biles is surrounded by all the world-class resources and mental health support that one could fathom.  Having been around mentally ill people for the majority of my life, personally and professionally, she was absolutely in a state to compete. Whether you agree or disagree with her decision, she was certainly able to compete.

Most of you hate me, and that's okay, but I still hope we can agree that all voices should be heard within community standards.  And I challenge you to ask yourself -- if Simone was a white male, would he have received the same treatment? I highly suspect not.
American exceptionalism really is a funny thing.

Your ability to conclude the emboldened from the other side of the world, having never interacted with her, truly is special! I'm sure you know her ability to compete much better than she does ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2021, 02:54:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

American exceptionalism really is a funny thing.

Your ability to conclude the emboldened from the other side of the world, having never interacted with her, truly is special! I'm sure you know her ability to compete much better than she does ::)

Meh. I think a lot of us can agree to more than one take: She's an incredible and accomplished talent; She left the team competition without a clearly expressed excuse and no physical concerns, other than a crappy vault by the highest standards.

Maybe we'll later find out that she was protecting several other girls who were or are still being abused in the USAG program. I have no idea.  Her timing and manner during the presser suggest she has far more lucrative reasons to cop out while the media has already deemed her the GOAT.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2021, 02:59:09 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

See: Bard, Daniel. You may have heard of him.

EDIT: Larry Bird also left IU, after less than a month at the University, because he didn't like the big campus and couldn't handle being away from home. He then got a second chance after retiring to be a garbage man. What a softie!

If it weren't for those [dang]ed SJW late 1970's Indiana State University coaches giving him an undue chance to compete again, he would have been a garbage man. No wonder the "woke" ISU team lost to Michigan in the NCAA Championship Game! They were naturally at a disadvantage due to their soft, forgiving attitudes from the top down, just like the Commies in the 60s! As someone who has both been homesick and worked with people who have been homesick, Larry absolutely should have stayed at Indiana. If he were a black woman in the 1970's, would she have been given the same chance to go from garbage collector to reclamation project?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:07:45 AM by GetLucky »

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If it weren't for those [dang]ed SJW late 1970's Indiana State University coaches giving him an undue chance to compete again, he would have been a garbage man. No wonder the "woke" ISU team lost to Michigan in the NCAA Championship Game! They were naturally at a disadvantage due to their soft, forgiving attitudes from the top down, just like the Commies in the 60s! As someone who has both been homesick and worked with people who have been homesick, Larry absolutely should have stayed at Indiana. If he were a black woman in the 1970's, would she have been given the same chance to go from garbage collector to reclamation project?

I  get your girt here but the windows of performance for a basketball player and a gymnast are quite different.  Gymnasts often retire young — in their late teens and early 20s — thanks to the intense physical and time commitments that elite competition demands.  Considering that they start peaking at 15-16 years, you have one maybe two Olympics to compete.    This was not true of Larry and Indiana State, he had plenty of time to resolve things, a gymnast simply does not, as their performance window is very small.  She will be too old the next Olympics, her career, her choice.

She already has accomplished great things and changed her sport in her time, I would wager none of us soar that high in our lives.     I support her decision 100%, but not the timing of it.   If she had these feelings before, she should have left the team earlier.   That being said, she has had a hard road to travel and a ton of adversity to overcome.

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
No one knows what she going thru but her..I support her decision
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2021, 08:27:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Honest question - and I am trying to take in everybody's opinion - if Biles lands her first vault, do you think she quits?

On a side note, Larisa Latynina is obviously the goat. As a Cs fan, if you believe Russell is the best ever, then it would be hypocritical to say that Latynina isn't.

It is not at all obvious.  These olympians don't just come out of storage every 4 years.  They compete on a world stage year after year, whether you pay attention or not.  To label someone best ever based only on olympic results is like claiming Eli Manning is better than Aaron Rogers because of their superbowl records.  It's asinine.  Good luck finding anyone in the gymnastics community outside of Russia that would argue against Bile's case.
Latynina didn't only compete in the Olympics though.  She also has 9 gold medals at the World Championships to go along with her 9 gold medals in the Olympics.  She has 4 more silver and 1 bronze in the World championships to go along with her 5 silver and 4 bronze in the Olympics.  She has 7, 6, and 1 in the European championships as well.  And when Larisa competed the World Championships and European Championships were every 4 years, just like the Olympics.  Simone had the benefit of having them every non-Olympic year (so 3 times as many). 

There is no question at all Larisa Latynina is the greatest female gymnast of all time.  It isn't close.

Also, as an aside, Larisa competed at the 1958 World Championships while she was pregnant.  Her daughter was born 5 months after the competition.  At those World Championships, she led the Soviet team to the Gold Medal, won the All Around Gold, won the gold medal on 3 apparatus (Vault, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam), and took silver on the floor exercise.  She was 3-4 months pregnant and dominated the world competition.  She told no one she was pregnant so they wouldn't stop her from competing.   

Do your homework.  Biles has 19 world championship golds, 25 total.  This on top of her 5 Olympic golds.  If we are going by medal counts, Biles has everyone beat by a country mile.  We haven’t even touched on the fact that she has been able to perform physical feats that no other human has.  Again, ask anyone involved with gymnastics where she stands all time and get back to us.
Because the World Championships are every year now, not every 4 years when Larisa was competing (which is what I said).  It isn't close, Larisa is the greatest gymnast of all time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Did you read Mo’s post?  You don’t think it’s relevant that Biles has 3x more opportunities at World Championships?

LL won 25 golds in major world events and 46 medals overall.

She’s the GOAT.  Resumes matter.

And Biles is the most individually skilled.

It’s as relevant as the fact that LL was competing at a time where a gymnast could even be competetive at age 34.  Sport is way more physically demanding now.  If someone tried to compete 5 months pregnant in this age and there would be a miscarriage.  Just think, if Simone was born a year earlier, she could have easily brought home multiple Olympic medals in London.  She also lost a year to COVID.  Are we even having this conversation if the games occurred last year?

Also, it’s funny that you hold the frequency of world championships against Biles, yet you include the European championships for LL.

Even with the European championships included, LL competed in 1/3 fewer events.

What are you talking about? Biles has competed in 33 Olympic/world championship events total.  Your telling me LL earned 46 medals in 22 events?
Larisa won 18 Olympic Medals in 3 Olympic games (56, 60, 64) - she competed in 19 total events, so she medaled in 18 of 19 winning gold in 9, that is just amazing
Larisa won 14 World Championship Medals in 4 World Championships (54, 58, 62, 66) and in 54 and 66 she only won the Team medals (gold in 54 and silver in 66) so she won 12 medals between just 2, the 58 and 62 World Championships (8 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze)
Larisa won 14 European Championship Medals in 3 European Championships (57, 61, 65)

From 1956 through 1962 she won the gold medal in the all around at every major competition she entered.  In 64 and 65 she took the silver in the All Around and was still winning gold on some individual apparatus.  Had World Championships existed in 55, 57, 59, 61, and 63, she would have probably picked up around 20 more gold medals and probably also around 10 more silver/bronze medals (see the 6 she won at each of 58 and 62 WC, also 6 at all 3 Olympics in 56, 60, 64). 

Larisa is BY FAR the best gymnast of all time.  The overall breadth of her accomplishments are unmatched.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:17:28 AM by Moranis »

Re: Simone Biles
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
This has to be one of the all-time undereducated threads. No one is talking about the nuance of the sport. I haven't read anything about particular moves or comparative advantages. I'm reading people regurgitate statistics easily found on Wikipedia.

I honestly don't think any of us watched LL prior to this year. I also don't think many here watch women's gymnastics, outside of 2 weeks every 4 years.

How do people have such high conviction takes on this topic?

I loved the Onion article. Fat guys sitting on couches have no problem sharing their undereducated opinions. "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2021, 09:15:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This has to be one of the all-time undereducated threads. No one is talking about the nuance of the sport. I haven't read anything about particular moves or comparative advantages. I'm reading people regurgitate statistics easily found on Wikipedia.

I honestly don't think any of us watched LL prior to this year. I also don't think many here watch women's gymnastics, outside of 2 weeks every 4 years.

I loved the Onion article. Fat guys sitting on couches have no problem sharing their undereducated opinions. "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

If, in 30 years, some swimmer comes along, wins four gold medals in dominant fashion, and then quits after one lap in the team competition in the next Olympics, would you feel comfortable crowning them the GOAT?  Over Michael Phelps?

Because, Larisa Latynina is the Michael Phelps of gymnastics.  I’m surprised that people don’t know this.  She has the second most  Olympic medals ever, across all sports.

I don’t think we need to discuss particular moves, because obviously athletes in 2021 are more physically powerful.  But, are you comfortable saying Cameron Payne is a better PG than Bob Cousy?

Resumes and statistics matter, don’t they?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:31:30 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2021, 09:22:24 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

If, in 30 years, some swimmer comes along, wins four gold medals in dominant fashion, and then quits after one lap in the team competition in the next Olympics, would you feel comfortable crowning them the GOAT?  Over Michael Phelps?

Nah, I'm not comfortable talking about things when I know very little.

I know that Phelps is the most dominant swimmer I've ever seen. I can swim, though I'm more of a sinker than a floater. This doesn't mean that I'm qualified to analyze particular strengths in different disciplines/strokes. That's why I look to former athletes to analyze with specific knowledge. As far as I know, Simone Biles is considered to be one of the greats, per the subject matter experts.

I don't understand why the sexual abuse topic is so easily ignored either. I'm confident that many here would feel differently if Biles was their daughter. Is it hard to have empathy for those that don't look like us?

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2021, 09:25:34 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Suni Lee won the gold in the all around. Had Simone Biles not pulled out it is likely that Suni would have won the gold in the team competition and the silver in the all-around. She still came out with a gold and silver but just in different categories. I know she probably would never say it but do you think deep down that Suni Lee is happy that Simone pulled out because it led to the all-around gold? Her chances at a better medal in two of the individual events has improved as well.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  don't understand why the sexual abuse topic is so easily ignored either. I'm confident that many here would feel differently if Biles was their daughter. Is it hard to have empathy for those that don't look like us?

Feel differently how?  That she isn’t the GOAT?  That quitting after a bad fault negatively affects her legacy?

And, I’m not sure what her “look” has to do with this?   Latynina doesn’t look like me, either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

People debate topics like this in every sport all of the time.  How many people on here actually watched Russell and Chamberlain?  Doesn't stop people from debating who was better.

The simple reality is, over the course of the 5 major events (encompassing the world) in her prime (56, 58, 60, 62, 64), Larisa Latynina won 6 medals at every single one of those events including 17 Gold Medals and 13 silver/bronze medals.  No other female gymnast has come close to doing that.  Just taking the Olympics, she has 9 gold medals and 18 medals overall.  The person that is 2nd in both of those categories is Vera Caslavska with 7 and 11 (the person who overtook her as best gymnast in the world).  Biles doesn't even have the best single Olympics as Latynina, Caslavska, and Agnes Keleti all have also won 4 golds in a single Olympic games, but they all won 6 total medals (Caslavska and Keleti took 2 silver, Latynina took a silver and a bronze), while Biles only won 5 medals in a single games, 4 gold, 1 bronze.  Ecaterina Szabo also took 5 medals and won 4 golds in a single Olympics, but unlike Biles took a silver for the 5th one. 

Had Biles won 6 gold medals in Rio (or maybe even 5 since no woman has done that - Vitaly Scherbo won 6 golds in 1992 for male gymnasts), I think you could at least entertain the idea that she is the greatest gymnast of all time because that would be a level of dominance that has never been seen, but Biles doesn't even have the greatest single Olympics in female gymnastics history, let alone career.  This is live by the moment type stuff without any recognition of history.  Latynina is the greatest female gymnast of all time.  Her level of dominance and accomplishment is unmatched.