Author Topic: Could the Red Sox actually be good this year?  (Read 6985 times)

Could the Red Sox actually be good this year?
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:54:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
They won again today and now stand at 7-3 in first place and tied for the best record in the American League. The middle of the lineup with Verdugo, JD Martinez, Bogaerts, Devers (he's been my boy for a while) and Vasquez should win you a lot of games. And don't sleep on Dalbec, he could blossom into quite the power hitter.

Add that to good starts by Eovaldi, Pivetta, ERod and Perez, with a hopefully returning Sale and they may have the makings of a playoff team. It sure would be nice to see happen for me, as I have been royally miffed at the team since moving Betts. I never dreamed they might be good this quickly.

But this is the Red Sox and hot starts that fizzle in the summer were a long standing tradition of the team prior to 2003, so I guess we should probably wait and see. I am getting excited though.

Re: Could the Red Sox actually be good this year?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:07:32 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
So far so good!  Go Bosox
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:26:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not a believer in the pitching staff.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Pretty crazy after their rough start. Would be quite the bounce back season. Pitching could be rough, but I suppose they could always add to it. A healthy productive Sale would be killer.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
They just keep on rolling.  I really like the scratch em out  variety of wins they’ve had the last couple of days.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:07:05 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I suspect they’re about an 85-90 win team.  Right now (which is way too early), there’s a feeling similar to the 2013 team. 

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Their 0-3 start was much closer to the team I was expecting than the 8-0 team since then. So far, at least, they're proving me wrong. It's helped tons that Martinez is having a bounceback season and that Devers got going earlier in the season than he normally does. I'm not sold on the rotation, and maybe there will be some regression, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Yes indeed!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
And Chris Sale looming...

His pitches already have velocity in the mid-90's, can't wait.

That said, man just noticed that one of our main pitching prospects got shutdown a month or so ago and had Tommy John, Thad Ward... joining Bryan Mata who also did so around April or so.

Then we have Noah Song in the Navy. So who's left Jay Groome? I was a bit excited about seeing our farm system having potential again, particularly with our pitchers, but lots of set backs sadly.

Anyways, that's not the topic... we're playing well now, but hope we peak at the right time later. I'm still very worried  about our pitching (partly why I was looking at our pitching prospects a bit), so Chris Sale will help.

Just seems, from our starters, that Eovaldi is the only one giving us anything of worth and maybe Martin Pérez as an end of rotation pitcher.  Garrett Richards has been terrible, Eduardo Rodríguez I still don't understand... he's at times brilliant other times just the worst pitcher out there. We need serious help if we want to win it all, so very worried about our rotation even with Sale coming back.

You guys anticipate any moves? Kinda think we should go after Kyle Gibson. He's pitching very well, but due to age and this season seeming as an outlier I wouldn't "pay" too much for him, but probably someone desperate enough would outbid. But it's an interesting name to look at.

Max Scherzer is pitching well, last year of his contract though and he's 36... take a risk?

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Well, we've had a very very very bad stretch of baseball since the deadline and the pitiful Yankees making a comeback with only a 2.5 games deficit from us... Chris Sale starts today, hope we turn things around.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Well, we've had a very very very bad stretch of baseball since the deadline and the pitiful Yankees making a comeback with only a 2.5 games deficit from us... Chris Sale starts today, hope we turn things around.

We have, but our schedule has also been brutal recently.   We’ve honestly probably were playing above our heads all season with leading the majors in come from behind wins, and so many close wins.  Our run differential isn’t that much.  Luckily the schedule lightens up a bit over the next week or 2 that we need take advantage of with reinforcements now here including Sale and Schwerber.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

We have, but our schedule has also been brutal recently.   We’ve honestly probably were playing above our heads all season with leading the majors in come from behind wins, and so many close wins.  Our run differential isn’t that much.  Luckily the schedule lightens up a bit over the next week or 2 that we need take advantage of with reinforcements now here including Sale and Schwerber.

I don't want to say much about the schedule because we just played plain bad, little batting and terrible pitching at the very least. Many of the games against key teams too which makes it even worse that we've been this bad. But hopefully with Houck back and Sale coming (and yes Schwarber could helps too) we improve, particularly with a tighter rotation.

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 05:07:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They won again today and now stand at 7-3 in first place and tied for the best record in the American League. The middle of the lineup with Verdugo, JD Martinez, Bogaerts, Devers (he's been my boy for a while) and Vasquez should win you a lot of games. And don't sleep on Dalbec, he could blossom into quite the power hitter.

Add that to good starts by Eovaldi, Pivetta, ERod and Perez, with a hopefully returning Sale and they may have the makings of a playoff team. It sure would be nice to see happen for me, as I have been royally miffed at the team since moving Betts. I never dreamed they might be good this quickly.

But this is the Red Sox and hot starts that fizzle in the summer were a long standing tradition of the team prior to 2003, so I guess we should probably wait and see. I am getting excited though.

Fizzle indeed. The Red Sox are such a painful team to root for....
Celtics fan for life.