Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 173158 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2021, 03:24:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Panthers traded Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 6th rounder opening up the likelihood they will be taking one of the top 5 QBs.

If(huge if) Belichick is looking for one of those QBs, he's probably going have to overpay and trade with Detroit now.

Panthers already traded quite a bit to get Darnold from the Jets. I doubt they take a QB in the first round.

They gave up a 6th this year plus a 2nd & 4th rounder next year.    I don't think that will necessarily stop them from taking a QB in the first round

I could see them having a board where if one of 3 QBs make it to them, they'll go with that guy, but maybe not any of the top 5..  They spent enough capital on Darnold to be willing to roll with him for a year and see what they've got.  If they wanted a placeholder until their 1st round QB is ready, they'd have just stuck  with Bridgewater.
Not getting your logic.

Darnold has been terrible for three years but has some potential in some people's eyes. What's so wrong about two young guys fighting it out to be the #1 guy? It's not like the Panthers are looking to compete. They'll most likely be one of the worst teams in the league.

If you see potential in a QB this year, you grab him because if Darnold flops, you have your next guy already with a year in your system rather than waiting to grab a QB next year, in a year where the QB quality won't be anywhere near as good as those in this draft class.

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2021, 03:24:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Panthers traded Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 6th rounder opening up the likelihood they will be taking one of the top 5 QBs.

If(huge if) Belichick is looking for one of those QBs, he's probably going have to overpay and trade with Detroit now.

Panthers already traded quite a bit to get Darnold from the Jets. I doubt they take a QB in the first round.

They gave up a 6th this year plus a 2nd & 4th rounder next year.    I don't think that will necessarily stop them from taking a QB in the first round

I could see them having a board where if one of 3 QBs make it to them, they'll go with that guy, but maybe not any of the top 5..  They spent enough capital on Darnold to be willing to roll with him for a year and see what they've got.  If they wanted a placeholder until their 1st round QB is ready, they'd have just stuck  with Bridgewater.

I agree with that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Been a bunch of rumors around Carolina that if they moved Bridgewater then a QB was the likely pick. Todd McShay reported he heard from a league GM and scout that the Panthers were looking at a QB. And that was before moving Bridgewater.

Was that before or after Carolina traded for Sam Darnold?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Wow, strange trade.  Bridgewater for a 6th tells me they planned on trading Bridgewater all along.  The essentially got nothing for him.  I don't see how there was any "if" to this.  They had made up their mind to trade him even if they got next to nothing and probably would have cut him if they couldn't even get a 6th round pick.  To me, this all says that Carolina is not taking a QB with their pick at 8, whether they traded Bridgewater or not.

So for the Broncos, are they going to plan to start Bridgewater?  Drew Lock as the back up?  Hard to believe that they would pick a 3rd QB so high in the draft.

To me, this makes it more likely one or two of the top 5 QBs will be available at 15 for the Pats.  I feel like the 49ers will take Mac Jones so we could end up with our pick of Lance or Fields.  I guess someone picking below 15 could trade up but I think it is looking good for the Pats to get a 1st round QB if they want one.

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Been a bunch of rumors around Carolina that if they moved Bridgewater then a QB was the likely pick. Todd McShay reported he heard from a league GM and scout that the Panthers were looking at a QB. And that was before moving Bridgewater.

Was that before or after Carolina traded for Sam Darnold?
After. And before the Bridgewater trade.

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2021, 03:42:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So they traded for Darnold who is 23 so that he can be a placeholder for a Rookie QB? Guess anything is possible, but that seems very odd.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2021, 03:48:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

So they traded for Darnold who is 23 so that he can be a placeholder for a Rookie QB? Guess anything is possible, but that seems very odd.

Darnold is still very much a wild card.  Was it the system in NY or him? I don't know if they'll necessarily go the QB route in the first round but if one of those guys fall to them, I could see them pulling the trigger.   It's not unprecedented to have multiple young QBs.   I just think there is a still a lot of uncertainty around Darnold and CAR didn't exactly mortgage their future in acquiring him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Darnold is still very much a wild card.  Was it the system in NY or him? I don't know if they'll necessarily go the QB route in the first round but if one of those guys fall to them, I could see them pulling the trigger.   It's not unprecedented to have multiple young QBs.   I just think there is a still a lot of uncertainty around Darnold and CAR didn't exactly mortgage their future in acquiring him.
And, as I said, if Darnold fails, you probably want to take a guy this year because next year the QBs available aren't being rated nearly as high as this years.

I don't think it's a for certain type thing they go QB, but moving on from a decent QB in Bridgewater, I think raises the possibility that if Belichick is thinking QB, it makes things harder to do that.

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Wow, strange trade.  Bridgewater for a 6th tells me they planned on trading Bridgewater all along.  The essentially got nothing for him.  I don't see how there was any "if" to this.  They had made up their mind to trade him even if they got next to nothing and probably would have cut him if they couldn't even get a 6th round pick.  To me, this all says that Carolina is not taking a QB with their pick at 8, whether they traded Bridgewater or not.

So for the Broncos, are they going to plan to start Bridgewater?  Drew Lock as the back up?  Hard to believe that they would pick a 3rd QB so high in the draft.

To me, this makes it more likely one or two of the top 5 QBs will be available at 15 for the Pats.  I feel like the 49ers will take Mac Jones so we could end up with our pick of Lance or Fields.  I guess someone picking below 15 could trade up but I think it is looking good for the Pats to get a 1st round QB if they want one.

As a Broncos fan, I expect that they'll go with a QB if available and try to get something for Lock, or just keep him around to fight for a job.  Lock is holding the team back.  They've invested a ton in receiving targets and also have a solid line.  They need someone to get them the ball.  Bridgewater can be a placeholder until their draftee is ready, and/or can win the job from Lock if the QBs are all off the board by 9.

Mind you, also as a Broncos fan, I really would rather they not draft Trey Lance, who they're most linked to.  I am not a fan at all, and am crossing my fingers that someone else takes him first.  I'd rather roll with Bridgewater/Lock and a late-round QB like KJ Costello, and use that 1st for something else.  But with my luck (and the Broncos history) they'll trade up to get Lance.

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

As a Broncos fan, I expect that they'll go with a QB if available and try to get something for Lock, or just keep him around to fight for a job.  Lock is holding the team back.  They've invested a ton in receiving targets and also have a solid line.  They need someone to get them the ball.  Bridgewater can be a placeholder until their draftee is ready, and/or can win the job from Lock if the QBs are all off the board by 9.

Mind you, also as a Broncos fan, I really would rather they not draft Trey Lance, who they're most linked to.  I am not a fan at all, and am crossing my fingers that someone else takes him first.  I'd rather roll with Bridgewater/Lock and a late-round QB like KJ Costello, and use that 1st for something else.  But with my luck (and the Broncos history) they'll trade up to get Lance.

Great perspective from a Broncos fan.  Thanks.  Even if the Broncos do take a QB, the 4th out of 5, I still think the 5th will be available to the Patriots if they want him.  All of the other teams picking 4-14 already have a QB that they have either traded for, recently drafted or is otherwise established.  ATL could go QB but that just doesn't make sense.  They should take Pitts.

The problem for the Pats would be if the Broncos pick the QB that they want.  The one left could be Jones, Lance, or Fields, you just never know.  But you also don't know which of these will end up the best player.  I would say that half of first round QBs end up busts.  There is an element of chance to it no matter how much scouting you do.  So maybe the Pats get "stuck with" Trey Lance and he turns out to be good in a few years, or at least better than Jones and Fields.

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2021, 10:23:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

And, as I said, if Darnold fails, you probably want to take a guy this year because next year the QBs available aren't being rated nearly as high as this years.

I don't think it's a for certain type thing they go QB, but moving on from a decent QB in Bridgewater, I think raises the possibility that if Belichick is thinking QB, it makes things harder to do that.
But if Darnold fails they might very well be the 1st pick in the draft or at least in position to take the 1st QB.  I'd say the odds are that the 1st QB taken next year will be better than the 4th or 5th QB taken this year (though Fields may be the exception to that).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2021, 10:26:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Great perspective from a Broncos fan.  Thanks.  Even if the Broncos do take a QB, the 4th out of 5, I still think the 5th will be available to the Patriots if they want him.  All of the other teams picking 4-14 already have a QB that they have either traded for, recently drafted or is otherwise established.  ATL could go QB but that just doesn't make sense.  They should take Pitts.

The problem for the Pats would be if the Broncos pick the QB that they want.  The one left could be Jones, Lance, or Fields, you just never know.  But you also don't know which of these will end up the best player.  I would say that half of first round QBs end up busts.  There is an element of chance to it no matter how much scouting you do.  So maybe the Pats get "stuck with" Trey Lance and he turns out to be good in a few years, or at least better than Jones and Fields.
I would be pretty surprised if one of the 5 QB's makes it to 15.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2021, 10:50:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Report: Patriots working on a new contract for 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.49erswebzone.com/news/amp-146559/

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2021, 11:58:02 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
My take on all the smoke is that our first priority is to trade up and take a QB, whether that be Fields, Jones, or Lance. I think that if such a plan falls through, we try to get Jimmy from the 49ers. It would makes sense in the context if both rumors have some merit behind them.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2021, 07:38:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I want Belichick to trade up and grab a QB. Of course that means he trades back and grabs a CB.

In Bill I trust, except his first round drafting. He hasn't hit on a first round pick since 2012, when he twice with Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower. Belichick needs to redeem himself tonight and really nail this pick.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:54:26 AM by nickagneta »