Author Topic: Three Forgotten Rap Stars  (Read 18392 times)

Re: Three Forgotten Rap Stars
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I know nothing about Rap...but I think you probably just listed 3 of the guys I would list in the top 5 rappers.  This is kind of like saying three forgotten Rock stars are the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Elvis.  Some people might overthink it and leave these guys out, but in the mind of the overall public, they are certainly not forgotten.

I think they are. Have you ever looked at a Lil Wayne music video on Youtube? The comments all say "Waynez TEH B3ST!!111!! Nas cant touch him"

And everyone seems to agree. I concede to you that those who are familiar with older rap always appreciate these guys. Its people who are around my age--teens and twenties--who routinely fail to appreciate my aforementioned three. Does NO ONE ELSE have this experience?

Lol, so you came to this conclusion because you're reading YouTube comments? I don't think anyone takes those seriously.

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
To make a serious post, rather than the one I made with the Skee-Lo vid, although, that was a great track way back when.  However, I'd have to say Bone Thugs-N-Harmony can definitely be considered a forgotten commodity.  They were really big around 94-99, and then after their former record label (Ruthless Records) slowly went into the ground after the death of Eazy-E (another forgotten artist, no he wasn't the most talented rapper, but his legacy goes deeper than that).  Anyways, not to get too far off topic, Bone Thugs def. are forgotten, as well. After Eazy-E died, and his record label was turned over to his wife, she basically destroyed what was once considered a powerhouse independent label, as it housed great groups such as NWA, JJ Fad during their high point, The D.O.C before his accident.  If Ruthless Records had not gone to the ground, they would be more known today.  They still do come out with music, still come out with albums, but nothing will ever compare to the music they were selling back then, with songs like Thuggish Ruggish Bone, The Crossroads, Days of Our Lives, Foe Tha Luv of $, etc.  They have the talent, they just lost the promotion, and people eventually forgot about them, except for true fans that they still have.

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »

Offline biggs1221

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
IMO, many of the rappers or groups listed here were never popular / mainstream enough to be deemed forgotten. (Except maybe Bone Thugs and Harmony - -i would agree about them)

I would say some of the most forgotten rappers were those who were positive and fun (like skelo, but he was never big enough).

Ironically, it seems that to have maintained a "positive" rap image, you must have had a "street image" and either try to be a) deep b) tough and hardcore or c) flashy and all about $ and women. Positive and clean image guys dont get any respect

Anyway, my 3 forgotten rap stars, in the sense that they are now not respected or deemed a joke, would be:

a) Kid n' Play (hugely popular for a few years both for their music and movies)
b) MC Hammer (perhaps the biggest phenomenon ever, who somehow became a laughing stock)
c) Will Smith / Jazzy Jeff (while everyone knows who they are, I dont think its because their music is still respected)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:39:10 PM by biggs1221 »

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
how can you forget

Snow

and Vanilla Ice.

Cool as Ice might have been one of the best comedies out there. Seriously, go watch that movie. It's a f-in riot.

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline biggs1221

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Upon further consideration, the most forgotten rap stars are most anyone who laid the groundwork for rap's current success.

By this I mean anyone before like 1985 / pre NWA.

If you are under 30 (or maybe even over) how many rappers can you honestly name off the top of your head from this period? Perhaps Sugar Hill Gang is the only group that remains somewhat relevant.

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
I like rap and all, but shouldn't we keep this blog focused on basketball?  That being said, in my opinion the three most underrated and underappreciated basketball players of all time are Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Wilt Chamberlain.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
What about Keith Murray?

I have to agree with Jurassic 5.

Lil Wayne? best rapper? seriously? I mean Seriously? kids today do not know rap like us Older Kids, Im 31. Kids today listen to Hip-Pop, not hip-hop or rap.

Im going to say best Rapper has to be 2Pac.

I like Keith Murray, but he kind of disappointed.  His verse in Erick Sermon's hostile hit hard, but he never really did anything as good as that verse after that.  Speaking of Erick Sermon, he is another guy who I think has been forgotten.  He did some good stuff with EPMD.

Lil Wayne has been so over hyped by everyone today.  The guy is solid, nothing less, nothing more.  Some of his songs are good, some are terrible.  

Also, for you tribe called quest fans,  Q-Tip is releasing an album on Nov 4th.  I heard one of the songs on hiphopdx.com the other day.  Seems like it could be a good album.

P.S. this is in off-topic, it's meant for things that are off-topic such as hip hop.
do it

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Or three forgotten Celtics are KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen.

Sorry johnnyrondo I see now you beat me to the joke.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 04:18:28 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Upon further consideration, the most forgotten rap stars are most anyone who laid the groundwork for rap's current success.

By this I mean anyone before like 1985 / pre NWA.

If you are under 30 (or maybe even over) how many rappers can you honestly name off the top of your head from this period? Perhaps Sugar Hill Gang is the only group that remains somewhat relevant.

Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, Run-DMC (probably the most famous of the bunch), KRS-One, MC Shan, Roxanne Shante, Slick Rick, Jimmy Spicer.  I'm 24, but I understand your point, if one really listens to one time-frame or period of hip hop, rather than listening to it as a whole, then you really don't know too much about the genre.

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
To me, Big Pun is the singular most often forgotten great rap artist. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:58:29 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

Have you heard of termanology?

He sounds like Big Pun..

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

He sounds like Big Pun..
Yeah Termanology is ill.  Have you heard his new album?  Theres a couple songs where is flow is exactly like Big Pun for some streches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCgP8-etd4
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

He sounds like Big Pun..
Yeah Termanology is ill.  Have you heard his new album?  Theres a couple songs where is flow is exactly like Big Pun for some streches.

Yup. I coped it the day it came out.
as you may know.. he's old hood politics mix tapes are way better though

Statik Selektah's new CD comes out today. I have to go pick that up after i get outta work.
Term and statik are having a cd release show in NH on the 30th.
you should check that out.

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I know nothing about Rap...but I think you probably just listed 3 of the guys I would list in the top 5 rappers.  This is kind of like saying three forgotten Rock stars are the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Elvis.  Some people might overthink it and leave these guys out, but in the mind of the overall public, they are certainly not forgotten.

I think they are. Have you ever looked at a Lil Wayne music video on Youtube? The comments all say "Waynez TEH B3ST!!111!! Nas cant touch him"

And everyone seems to agree. I concede to you that those who are familiar with older rap always appreciate these guys. Its people who are around my age--teens and twenties--who routinely fail to appreciate my aforementioned three. Does NO ONE ELSE have this experience?

Lol, so you came to this conclusion because you're reading YouTube comments? I don't think anyone takes those seriously.

I don't appreciate the condescension. I'm not basing my presumptions only off of Youtube comments. I was merely using it as an example. Every single 20-and-under person I talk to forgets the three rappers I mentioned. I guess you guys don't associate with young people, because 3/4 of time I make a reference to Nas, no one has any idea what I'm talking about.

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Eminem is the best rapper alive.

And I dont know if any of you have heard of Joell Ortiz but IMO he is the best rapper rapping at the moment, I know Em is coming back with an album though.

Joell Ortiz is better then Nas and jay-Z

Reds, Joell Ortiz is a pretty good rapper, but he's not even on the same level as Nas or Jay-z.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6