Author Topic: Three Forgotten Rap Stars  (Read 18388 times)

Three Forgotten Rap Stars
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:30:12 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
The following names are the names of three rap legends who no one ever mentions in their top five:

1. Eminem -- The best rapper of all time. His stuff is seriously incredible. The content isn't always all that deep, but his rhyme schemes, lyrics and flow are just ill.

2. Nas -- Anyone who puts out an album as amazing as Illmatic automatically deserves a spot HIGH in anyone's top five.

3. Jay-Z: He has put out a high volume of material, and a great deal of it is of high quality. The Black Album was an excellent production, and Jay-Z's emotion and flow are always present.

Does anyone else agree? Or am I alone here?

Re: Three Forgotten Rap Stars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
You're alone, man. Who doesn't have Nas and Jigga in their top 5?

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:40:16 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Forgotten?  You just named 3 of my top 5.....
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
You're alone, man. Who doesn't have Nas and Jigga in their top 5?

Like everyone I talk to. They're obsessed with semi-underground rappers like Bun-B, or they blow up rappers like Lil Wayne. Its frustrating to have someone tell you their top five is something like:

1. Lil Wayne
2. Bun B
3. Snoop Dogg
4. Dr. Dre
5. Kanye West

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
When I saw "forgotten rappers" my first thought was "Shyne".

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:49:34 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I guess I'm incredibly old school, compared to these lists. My faves are all from back in the day:

A Tribe Called Quest
Gangstaar
The Pharcyde
Hieroglyphics
Group Home
The Artifacts

etc. etc..

Anyone here ever even listened to any of those groups?

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
The following names are the names of three rap legends who no one ever mentions in their top five:

1. Eminem -- The best rapper of all time. His stuff is seriously incredible. The content isn't always all that deep, but his rhyme schemes, lyrics and flow are just ill.

2. Nas -- Anyone who puts out an album as amazing as Illmatic automatically deserves a spot HIGH in anyone's top five.

3. Jay-Z: He has put out a high volume of material, and a great deal of it is of high quality. The Black Album was an excellent production, and Jay-Z's emotion and flow are always present.

Does anyone else agree? Or am I alone here?

Those 3 are almost always considered in the top 5, lol. 

As for forgotten Rap stars/groups...Jurassic 5 is pretty outstanding.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
I guess I'm incredibly old school, compared to these lists. My faves are all from back in the day:

A Tribe Called Quest
Gangstaar
The Pharcyde
Hieroglyphics
Group Home
The Artifacts

etc. etc..

I listen to all of them. Beats, Rhymes and Life & 3rd Eye Vision are two of my favorite albums.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens

A Tribe Called Quest
Gangstaar
The Pharcyde
Hieroglyphics
Group Home
The Artifacts

etc. etc..

Yes-- and they're all good. The thing is that for me, they aren't as amazing as Eminem and Nas and Jay-Z, and when I hear people say their top five doesn't even have one of those names.... I don't know what to think. Rakim was great. Eric B. Plenty of Old School rap is good. Its just that these guys came along during a time period that was the pinnacle of innovation. Rap was still moving forward in the 90's. Today, every song sounds the same. I haven't heard a song on Jam'n 94.5 that hasn't featured either Lil Wayne, T-Pain, or some rapper and guy-with-a-voicebox combo. I don't even dislike the sound, or think today's music sucks. It's just not up there with the music produced by Em, Nas, and Jay.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:57:18 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

A Tribe Called Quest
Gangstaar
The Pharcyde
Hieroglyphics
Group Home
The Artifacts

etc. etc..

I listen to all of them. Beats, Rhymes and Life & 3rd Eye Vision are two of my favorite albums.

TPs for both of you - if you dig those bands check out People Under the Stairs if you haven't already
God bless and good night!

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I know nothing about Rap...but I think you probably just listed 3 of the guys I would list in the top 5 rappers.  This is kind of like saying three forgotten Rock stars are the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Elvis.  Some people might overthink it and leave these guys out, but in the mind of the overall public, they are certainly not forgotten.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Vibe just named Eminem the best rapper alive in a poll that had him defeating Jay-Z in the finals.  Sure I don't agree with Em being the best alive, but he's NEVER forgotten.  I'd say sometimes Nas falls out of that list for some people, but very rarely will it happen.  I'd say in terms of being forgotten, people tend to forget Andre 3000 because of the stuff he's done recently with songs like hey ya.  Then there's guys like Lupe, Common and Talib, who people know who they are, but don't realize how good they are because they aren't on the radio.
do it

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:03 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
I know nothing about Rap...but I think you probably just listed 3 of the guys I would list in the top 5 rappers.  This is kind of like saying three forgotten Rock stars are the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Elvis.  Some people might overthink it and leave these guys out, but in the mind of the overall public, they are certainly not forgotten.

I think they are. Have you ever looked at a Lil Wayne music video on Youtube? The comments all say "Waynez TEH B3ST!!111!! Nas cant touch him"

And everyone seems to agree. I concede to you that those who are familiar with older rap always appreciate these guys. Its people who are around my age--teens and twenties--who routinely fail to appreciate my aforementioned three. Does NO ONE ELSE have this experience?

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 12:07:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think they are. Have you ever looked at a Lil Wayne music video on Youtube? The comments all say "Waynez TEH B3ST!!111!! Nas cant touch him"

And everyone seems to agree. I concede to you that those who are familiar with older rap always appreciate these guys. Its people who are around my age--teens and twenties--who routinely fail to appreciate my aforementioned three. Does NO ONE ELSE have this experience?

What I am saying is those who are not familiar with Rap at all are much more likely to think of those guys than guys like Little Wayne.

It sounds to me that Little Wayne is a hot name right now.  But I guarantee you if you went out on the street and asked random people whether they think Little Wayne or Jay-Z is the better rapper, most people would say Jay-Z.  But like in any music style, people like to be different, and act like they are more knowledgeable than you.  Essentially they are music snobs.  They will likely have a completely different top 5 in 3 or 4 years, and make fun of anyone who likes Little Wayne.  But when you look at the general public, names like Nas, eminem, and Jay-Z will live on.