Eminem
12 (16.7%)
The Game
2 (2.8%)
Other
27 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 26, 2008, 07:52:26 PM

Author Topic: Best rapper  (Read 38468 times)

Re: Best rapper
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Am I the only person who doesn't like Jay-Z at all? He's got good lyrics, great rhymes and all, but there's something about his flow that is just wrong. I've tried but I just can't listen to him.

When I was in college Digable Planets' "Blowout Comb" didn't leave the CD player for months at a time. I still listen to it, even though it's a little dated, it's still better than most of the stuff out there.

Around that same time period my favorite albums were Ice Cube's "The Predator," the first Cypress Hill album, Public Enemy's "Apocalypse '91," Nas's "Illmatic" and Biggie's "Ready to Die."

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
"This is NOT hip hop:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Nada-Cambia-lyrics-Jedi-Mind-Tricks/D97F314CC8C4D87148256DAB00134ED0
"
Reggies Ghost,

Sure it is. It's just extremely insensitive and homophobic.

Offensive lyrics isn't hip hop now?

Not to me.  To me the soul of hip hop was founded on principles of liberation, it was the music of people who were poor, black and struggling to make their way through life.  It was music like rock and roll before it that challenged the mainstream, a kind of rebel music.  I'm not black, but I identified more with hip hop than any other type of music and  in it I found an outlet for my frustrations, anger, sadness and hope.  Tupac, who was incredibly "offensive" to my parents & teachers, talked a lot about inclusion, respect for  women, love for your family and friends, and the tragedy of violence in society.  People like Finkelsky above will listen to "Hit 'Em Up" and that's all he'll ever want to know about the guy.

I don't get what you're saying about Lyrics like that being the "essence of hip hop".  This is an artform here artist (who usually have little or noting to do with creating the beat they're rhyming to) literally talking in rhyme, so the only thing an MC can be exaluated on is is mind, his thoughts, what he's communicating.  Look again at those lyrics and tell me what he's saying to you?  A person of color talking about hanging his enemy to hear his neck snap.  To me he's taking an insult (rap is about scary black guys who're all going to kill you) and selling it back to us.  He might as well be spitting on you.  That's not hip hop to me.

Oh please, you are taking a couple pixels out of a giant picture and calling it ugly...

Rap is uncensored, its expressing how you feel no matter what the consequences, That is the essence my friend. Jedi is more than just Homophobic Vinnie P lyrics, Stoupe has produced some of the hottest tracks in rap History.

Tupac was schizophrenic with his flow too, tracks like "hit em up" and "Changes"... Black and white.

Your not being fair...

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
"This is NOT hip hop:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Nada-Cambia-lyrics-Jedi-Mind-Tricks/D97F314CC8C4D87148256DAB00134ED0
"
Reggies Ghost,

Sure it is. It's just extremely insensitive and homophobic.

Offensive lyrics isn't hip hop now?

Not to me.  To me the soul of hip hop was founded on principles of liberation, it was the music of people who were poor, black and struggling to make their way through life.  It was music like rock and roll before it that challenged the mainstream, a kind of rebel music.  I'm not black, but I identified more with hip hop than any other type of music and  in it I found an outlet for my frustrations, anger, sadness and hope.  Tupac, who was incredibly "offensive" to my parents & teachers, talked a lot about inclusion, respect for  women, love for your family and friends, and the tragedy of violence in society.  People like Finkelsky above will listen to "Hit 'Em Up" and that's all he'll ever want to know about the guy.

I don't get what you're saying about Lyrics like that being the "essence of hip hop".  This is an artform here artist (who usually have little or noting to do with creating the beat they're rhyming to) literally talking in rhyme, so the only thing an MC can be exaluated on is is mind, his thoughts, what he's communicating.  Look again at those lyrics and tell me what he's saying to you?  A person of color talking about hanging his enemy to hear his neck snap.  To me he's taking an insult (rap is about scary black guys who're all going to kill you) and selling it back to us.  He might as well be spitting on you.  That's not hip hop to me.

Oh please, you are taking a couple pixels out of a giant picture and calling it ugly...

Rap is uncensored, its expressing how you feel no matter what the consequences, That is the essence my friend. Jedi is more than just Homophobic Vinnie P lyrics, Stoupe has produced some of the hottest tracks in rap History.

Tupac was schizophrenic with his flow too, tracks like "hit em up" and "Changes"... Black and white.

Your not being fair...

I guess I'm not being clear, I love hip hop and don't mind songs that are totally explicit and profane as long as they are intelligent, and I'm not make sweeping statements about hip hop as awhole based on those lyrics, but when you listen to those lyrics I DO have an opinion about the individual aritst who's responsible for it.  I appreciate your explaning to me that you're sense of hip hop is that it's all about "saying whatever you want and not caring what people think" but I disagree, with all due respect.

IMO "Hit Em Up" was about something real, and communicated something that helped me to better understand the artist.  When I was done listening to that song for the first time, I felt like I could take over the world, and never let anyone stand in my way.  "Nada Cambia" is really different, to me that's just a song that insults hip hop.  Intellectually I don't see what you get out of it, or how you defend it by equating it to the work of one of the greatest MCs of all time.

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Jedi is pump your fist, heavy metal type  no doubt.

The more intelligent you are in expressing yourself the better rapper you are.

Jedi is speaking from a historical or literal perspective and has an obvious pro-muslim, homophobic thing going on. What they say in certain songs doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. Jedi's music is an interesting "movie" to watch and the underground is loudly agreeing.

Jedi in Boston come October 10th.

Go to the show, you will think differently.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:38:13 PM by wdleehi »

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It was sure nice when all rappers did was tell everyone why they were the best though. Kind of hard to justify people shouting vulgarities and obscenities and bragging about killing cops and mistreating women as being art. The term "inciting a riot" comes to mind. All those poor kids who look up to these guys and try to emulate them are going to have one sorry life. 

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
It was sure nice when all rappers did was tell everyone why they were the best though. Kind of hard to justify people shouting vulgarities and obscenities and bragging about killing cops and mistreating women as being art. The term "inciting a riot" comes to mind. All those poor kids who look up to these guys and try to emulate them are going to have one sorry life. 

EJ, It sounds like you've never heard any hip-hop outside of the mainstream. Tell me what you think of this video

Talib Kweli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvZ9aXg5Xs

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

I'm with Jsaad.  It sounds like you are hearing mainstream hip hop which is pretty "lowest common denominator" type stuff.  There are some really talented people out there.

For those who know him - Necro.  This guy goes out of his way to rap about offensive and disgusting things.  But the wordplay is intelligent.  His rhymes aren't full of social commentary.  They are just interesting to listen to. 

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I don't understand why people are trying to convert this guy to hip hop. Obviously he doesn't have an open mind, so what's the point?

Uh... maybe it's because we're at work and this sure beats workin'?

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »

Offline real hiphop

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
Wat up Cuz!!! no doubt nas is the best alive. people forgot the part about hiphop where lyrics equals longevity!!! all rappers out now!! are all gonna fade away n realize how fake they are wit the lyrics they spit dont mean anythin. people forgot about Nas cuz he speaks wats real n nobody wants to hear wat matters anymore they wanna hear about the same thing (gettin money,cars,ice,honeys,) ohh!!! n lickin lollipops...

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline Levis107

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
Why is Lil Wayne on this poll?  The guy is trash.

The best has to be Nas. Lyrically he's the best and he's been consistently great throughout his career. I don't understand the infatuation with Jay-Z either.  Jay sold out after Blueprint and it's almost embarrassing how much he's fallen off (Kingdom Come and American Gangster were garbage albums) whereas Nas is still as good as ever.  Nas also put out the greatest rap album of all-time in my opinion (Illmatic) and it's not even close.

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Why is Lil Wayne on this poll?  The guy is trash.

The best has to be Nas. Lyrically he's the best and he's been consistently great throughout his career. I don't understand the infatuation with Jay-Z either.  Jay sold out after Blueprint and it's almost embarrassing how much he's fallen off (Kingdom Come and American Gangster were garbage albums) whereas Nas is still as good as ever.  Nas also put out the greatest rap album of all-time in my opinion (Illmatic) and it's not even close.

Agreed! Thanks for saying everything I was thinking.

I think Biggie (although not on the list for being deceased) is the best of ALL TIME.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »

Offline Csfan4life

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
All these choices are SOFT!  if you are the best rapper, you have got to be hard.  There are too many rappers in love!  ALL they can rap about is GIRLS AND MONEY!  There has got to be substance there!  They've got to be affiliated!

Therefore...WC is the best rapper alive! Period!!!!!

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Haven't read this thread yet it's too long, i jumped in to late, but I've got to say Jay-Z hands down. (He's basically half the music on my ipod(4GB) I've got songs from Reasonable Doubt-American Gangster, and have all his albums)

He's a rapper anyone can listen too. For people who barely listen to rap to hardcore rap fans. In "Moment of Clarity" he said "I dumb down for my audience and doubled my dollars". He makes radio music to make money and sell albums, but lyrically he's one of the best ever. Hell even his radio music is lyrical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tueRQSgm1Z8

This is one of my favorite one of his songs "Lyrical Excercise".

"Bring your Squad. Biceps, Triceps, and Quads. We don't struggle with undeveloped muscle."

Man I love Jay  :'(

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Im not going just now but over my lifetime who ive liked most, not in any order or anything, i dont like mostm ainstream rap but there are a few that I like most of their stuff.

Big L
Biggy
Tupac
Nas
Jay-Z
Royce Da 5'9 (Gets my vote for most underrated)
Outkast
Chuck D
Lupe Fiasco
Talib Kweli
Jada and Styles
Clipse
Joe Buddens
Scarface
Raekwon
Ghostface
GZA
Redman
Chamillionaire
Bun B
Method Man
Eminem
Mobb Deep (Pre G-Unit)
Kool G
Rakim
Gangstarr
RZA
TI
Black Thought
Ludacris
The Game (He namedrops to much but dude got talent)
Fabolous
Dmx
Dr Dre
Ice Cube
WC
Kurupt
Common
Papoose (Though most of his songs sound phone recorded)
Cassidy
Tech N9ne
Immortal Technique

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
OH MY GOD!!!!

I just took a quick glance at some lists and noticed a glaring hole in most of them.

The Punisher :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRL7Wruf1I