Author Topic: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement  (Read 49013 times)

Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement
« on: October 05, 2023, 08:29:19 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Just heard on the radio that the next TV play by play guy to replace Mike Gorman will not be Sean Grande but instead Drew Carter?

Awful decision here IMO, Grande is amazing - and to be quite candid i've been enjoying his calls more than Gorman's lately. Not sure how to put it into words but I feel like he handles Scalabrine better where Gorman has more or less been tolerating him the past few seasons.

Either way this is disappointing news to hear this morning, I was really looking forward (and assumed that) Grande was the obvious next guy in line. 

Re: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 08:32:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not familiar with Drew Carter.  I agree, Grande is excellent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I was really hoping for Grande. I'm not at all a fan of naming someone as Mike's successor when they've never even called a Celtics' game.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 08:40:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 08:43:50 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
https://www.linkedin.com/in/drewcartersports

Carter seems fairly raw?

Radio speculation was that the league is gravitating towards young guys - I believe they said he is 26.. and they assumed that it was a cost savings move.

I find the latter hard to believe as I can't imagine your regional play by play guy is really breaking the bank of a multi billion dollar franchise.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 08:54:52 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I like Grande also, but Drew Carter is a rising talent in announcing.  I don’t think it’s about cost-cutting so much as it is snagging a young talent who is trending toward becoming a recognized voice on nationwide broadcasts.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 08:57:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Grande better suited for radio, as he talked way too much. Still, he was very well prepared, and genuinely liked the team.  So it is a loss.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 09:06:09 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
Grande better suited for radio, as he talked way too much. Still, he was very well prepared, and genuinely liked the team.  So it is a loss.

Maybe thats why I preferred the Grande broadcasts? He talked too much which resulted in Scalabrine talking less.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Basically, if you have Syracuse on your resume, you're on the fast track to cushy broadcasting gigs.  Newhouse is probably the best broadcasting program in the country so, whether its fair or not, that pushes this kid to the top.

Does Grande still do MMA?  I wonder if he was approached at all but his other commitments were going to be a problem and they settled on Carter or he just simply wanted to stay on radio. 

What the case is, no one can truly fill Gorman's shoes.  Its gonna suck when he's gone.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 09:18:40 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
Basically, if you have Syracuse on your resume, you're on the fast track to cushy broadcasting gigs.  Newhouse is probably the best broadcasting program in the country so, whether its fair or not, that pushes this kid to the top.

Does Grande still do MMA?  I wonder if he was approached at all but his other commitments were going to be a problem and they settled on Carter or he just simply wanted to stay on radio. 

What the case is, no one can truly fill Gorman's shoes.  Its gonna suck when he's gone.

Based on the radio reaction this morning from Jon Wallach, who has been Grande's radio fill in for Celtics play by play, there was massive disappointment. It sounded like he assumed he was getting Sean's job and Sean in return getting Mikes. At the very least I would have assumed Wallach would have known ahead of time that Grande's preference was to stay in radio so his expectation of actually getting that job would have been minimal.

Either way I did not get that feeling today based on his reaction. I can only assume that both men thought they were being promoted.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Drew Carter has been on ESPN.  He just did the commentary on the toy story NFL game.  Pending his affinity for the team he should do well.  Great voice.  Very intelligent guy.  Young and can grow into the role.  But as a Celtic fan on a Celtics broadcast I want a broadcaster who is a Celtic fan.  I love Scal but he gets a hard-on way to much sometimes for great players around the league.  I like my broadcasters being biased toward the C's. LOL. 

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 09:44:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Drew Carter has been on ESPN.  He just did the commentary on the toy story NFL game.  Pending his affinity for the team he should do well.  Great voice.  Very intelligent guy.  Young and can grow into the role.  But as a Celtic fan on a Celtics broadcast I want a broadcaster who is a Celtic fan.  I love Scal but he gets a hard-on way to much sometimes for great players around the league.  I like my broadcasters being biased toward the C's. LOL.

Haha, seriously. 

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 09:49:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I guess this could also be a case of cost-conscious NBC Sports Boston going with the cheap talent here. 

Didn't they have layoffs a couple of years ago?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2023, 09:56:55 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

Haha, seriously.

I miss Tommy
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2023, 10:16:04 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Haha, seriously.

I miss Tommy

Me too!  :'(