Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18  (Read 69232 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18
« Reply #1440 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum had a bad 17 point night

Smart 2-8 was bad

One of those games where you outscore the Cavs to win

Rozier had a bad 16 point 11 assist six rebound game as well. Shows you stats don’t tell the whole story

Yup

« Reply #1441 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Smart 2-8 was bad

in Tatum's defense, he was fouled a ton and barely got to the line.

Tatum needs to stop and pop on a night like this

« Reply #1442 on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
I'd like to see someone ask Brad about that post game.

Which part?

I'm more frustrated with the switching scheme than the staying small. I think that smaller lineup can still work against their bigger lineup if guys are hitting their shots, but that we kept up with the switching of Rozier on Bron and allowed single coverage for the vast majority of the last two games is just mind-boggling.

« Reply #1443 on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Smart 2-8 was bad

He went to the line 8 times, which was second only to LeBron this game. And then he whined for calls that weren't there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1444 on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
So we can all agree BS got out coached tonight. His rotations were trash. And he can't get his guys to play well on the road. Not the best coach in the league if you can't get a team to perform on the road against anyone.
Disagree. The Cavs were by far the better team tonight. No combination on this roster the way they were playing tonight was going to get it done.

« Reply #1445 on: May 21, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If Boston continues to get down 8 plus points after one quarter they will not win the series

Have to have a better start

« Reply #1446 on: May 21, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
The good news about this game?

We are still the athletic and more talented team.

LeBron got his 'Roid points on his bull drives to the rim. Cavs got the vast majority of the calls.

And yet it was still close.

The future is so bright... and hopefully the present, too  :)

« Reply #1447 on: May 21, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Smart 2-8 was bad

Rozier had a bad 16 point 11 assist six rebound game as well. Shows you stats don’t tell the whole story

I agree, I thought Terry wasn't as good tonight.  His stats looked good, but he was taking a lot of bad shots, getting absolutely abused on def (which prob isn't his fault as he was put in terrible positions by the refusal to stop switching) and just seemed hesitant to drive to the hoop.  TT had a good block on his one drive to the rim and he didn't seem to find seams, or just didn't want to attack the rim. 

We need our guys to be collapsing the def to give us either layups or open shots.  Terry didn't do that much tonight,

« Reply #1448 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
Let me repeat myself: Brad doesn't do adjustments! He needs three days to mull it over, because he's "cerebral". Unfortunately, an NBA game lasts 48 minutes so that's too bad for him...

I mean, that's the thing - it has clearly not been working the entire series and was amplified in game 3, yet there still was no adjustment!

It's inexcusable that we didn't make any adjustments to that for game 4 and allowed them to abuse us in mismatches due to this scheme.

« Reply #1449 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Boston continues to get down 8 plus points after one quarter they will not win the series

Have to have a better start

absolutely.  we are getting killed out of the gate for 3 games in a row.  time to make an adjustment. start Baynes.

« Reply #1450 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:46 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
'

Which part?

I'm more frustrated with the switching scheme than the staying small. I think that smaller lineup can still work against their bigger lineup if guys are hitting their shots, but that we kept up with the switching of Rozier on Bron and allowed single coverage for the vast majority of the last two games is just mind-boggling.
They asked him about it. He said the numbers say it's more effective to switch than not.

« Reply #1451 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Brad needs to seriously consider changing up the starting lineup for game 5. 

Baynes has played really well.  If they are starting Thompson, why not start baynes.  Morris has been ineffective against lebron since game 1.
Clearly adjustments mean little.  All about home court.

Huh? What adjustments have there been? We've been doing the same crap over and over again and expecting different results. Only in the latter stages of this half did we start doing anything different defensively.

You know, it's almost like Stevens wants guys who can "switch everything" so that he can more or less leave the defense on automatic without actually having to come up with any kind of overall strategy ::). Sigh.

« Reply #1452 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:29 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Smart 2-8 was bad

He went to the line 8 times, which was second only to LeBron this game. And then he whined for calls that weren't there.

Thanks for the correction, Koz.  As usual your vision and intellect far exceed mine.

« Reply #1453 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Still think we win this series, as I've thought it would be Boston in 7 all along.

Given how young we are, playing at home is such a catalyst for us that we can cover up most of our other issues with our energy that leads to made buckets and smothering D.

« Reply #1454 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
'

Let me repeat myself: Brad doesn't do adjustments! He needs three days to mull it over, because he's "cerebral". Unfortunately, an NBA game lasts 48 minutes so that's too bad for him...

I mean, that's the thing - it has clearly not been working the entire series and was amplified in game 3, yet there still was no adjustment!

It's inexcusable that we didn't make any adjustments to that for game 4 and allowed them to abuse us in mismatches due to this scheme.
Actually I think there were a lot of switches in Games 1 and 2 that worked pretty well and forced LeBron into bad shots. I don't mind the switches, just pack the paint and be ready to close out on shooters. You need effort from all 5 guys and it's going to work... except now you're perhaps getting effort from one guy. If that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."