Author Topic: Jaylen's Back Spasms  (Read 1642 times)

Jaylen's Back Spasms
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Can someone with medical or PT experience weigh in on whether this is something we should be concerned about? He is about to miss his 3rd straight game, and says the pain remains pronounced. I have experienced spasms throughout my life on occasion but they usually go away with rest and PT.

Don't want to ring the alarm bell here, just want to know our guy is going to be okay!!

Re: Jaylen's Back Spasms
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:40:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Could be extreme fatigue from overexertion. A Long season of 80 games may have caused it

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Can someone with medical or PT experience weigh in on whether this is something we should be concerned about? He is about to miss his 3rd straight game, and says the pain remains pronounced. I have experienced spasms throughout my life on occasion but they usually go away with rest and PT.

Don't want to ring the alarm bell here, just want to know our guy is going to be okay!!

It's all good in the neighborhood.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Paging RJ87??
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He needs to be stretching, lying down or walking and applying heat.  Sitting for long periods, standing in one place for long periods or running will only make things worse. Lower back pain due to muscles can take some time as the lower back is used all the time in movement so it can linger if you aren't properly taking care of it. A week or two down and not overexerting himself should do it. It's not a big deal if not compounded with disc problems.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »

Online Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He's taken two very hard falls this year, one in the upper back/neck area (March) and one in the lower back (Nov.).

You have to wonder whether that Nov. fall in particular created some trauma, in which case it could reflect a more serious issue. Spasms will sometimes flare up because the body is protecting itself from moving at all, because there's a disc/nerve issue.

You hope not, but there's a line from point A to point B there.

Edit: links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mn56vCVbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plo4BR4V0hA

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 02:24:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
He's taken two very hard falls this year, one in the upper back/neck area (March) and one in the lower back (Nov.).

You have to wonder whether that Nov. fall in particular created some trauma, in which case it could reflect a more serious issue. Spasms will sometimes flare up because the body is protecting itself from moving at all, because there's a disc/nerve issue.

You hope not, but there's a line from point A to point B there.

Edit: links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mn56vCVbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plo4BR4V0hA

The fall in Minnesota last year was scary. I was actually surprised he came back a couple weeks later and held his own in the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 04:56:21 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1399

Not a medical opinion but I've had those lower back spasms where they come from doing innocuous things like bending over to pick something up or leaning across the couch to grab the remote in an awkward position. You feel a twinge in your back and 2 mins later you can barely stand up and can barely walk and certainly can't twist. For me it would take a couple of days before I could even get out of bed without pulling myself up, another few days with plenty of anti-inflammatories before I could comfortably walk standing straight and another week or so before I was back to 80% range of motion (i.e. being able to articulate and flex my spine). I don't think he would be out too long, particularly if he's already doing basketball-related activities but I also wouldn't be surprised if they sat him till the playoffs since there will be a break between the end of the regular season and then.

He's got access to far better medical care than I did though, all I did was go to my primary care and he gave me 600mg of ibuprofen 3x a day to bring the swelling down which relieved the pain. The explanation I was given was it was either a pulled lower back muscle or a pinched nerve but who knows what it really was. I was discouraged from doing an MRI because "we might find other stuff" and just told to rest.  ::)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Thanks, all, for the comments.

Latest intel sounds like he is feeling much better and they are keeping him out tonight in an abundance of caution so that he will be full strength for the playoffs.