Author Topic: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment  (Read 16037 times)

Re: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2018, 09:08:56 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't believe you can tell anyone else what they can and can't be offended by. If someone is offended by something that you're not, it doesn't make the offended party wrong, it means that we all have different sensibilities.

Well, obviously you can't stop someone from feeling however they do, but you certainly can try to explain to them why they might be wrong for feeling the way they do.  If someone feels offended based on a misunderstanding of the intent or meaning of something, the hope would be that after explaining this they might see they were wrong.  Of course, the opposite could be true as well, and the person who feels offended was correct in their understanding of what was said.

As it pertains to the topic being discussed here, I'm just not sure how anyone could not see that there is no racial basis behind the phrase in question.  It's strictly about a mental condition (delirium) caused by the onset of heat stroke while picking cotton (something that is most certainly not exclusive to slaves).  That really isn't debatable, it is a fact that this is where the phrase came from and that it predates slavery.  Yes, different phrases that use the term "cotton picking" have been used in a racially derogatory manner, specifically towards black slaves, but the various phrases aren't the same and should not preclude the use of a specific term that doesn't inherently imply racial bias.

I think that having a conversation about intent and meaning can do a lot to bridge a gap between two people but outside of straight-up misunderstanding what was said or what happened it's hard for me to imagine someone being "wrong" for being offended.

People live different lives, have different experiences, and develop different feelings about our world. Something that offends someone else might not offend me. That doesn't make either of us wrong, it means we are different people. There are lots of words that don't offend me in the slightest but I know others take offense to so, out of politeness, I don't use those words.

As for the phrase in question: As I said, I was surprised that people were taking offense to this but I can also see how one might. If it's something that might offend someone I have no problem excising it from my vocabulary (it's not like I was using it anyway). That said, I'd still be curious to hear from someone that was actually, personally offended by its use.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I don't believe you can tell anyone else what they can and can't be offended by. If someone is offended by something that you're not, it doesn't make the offended party wrong, it means that we all have different sensibilities.

Well, obviously you can't stop someone from feeling however they do, but you certainly can try to explain to them why they might be wrong for feeling the way they do.  If someone feels offended based on a misunderstanding of the intent or meaning of something, the hope would be that after explaining this they might see they were wrong.  Of course, the opposite could be true as well, and the person who feels offended was correct in their understanding of what was said.

As it pertains to the topic being discussed here, I'm just not sure how anyone could not see that there is no racial basis behind the phrase in question.  It's strictly about a mental condition (delirium) caused by the onset of heat stroke while picking cotton (something that is most certainly not exclusive to slaves).  That really isn't debatable, it is a fact that this is where the phrase came from and that it predates slavery.  Yes, different phrases that use the term "cotton picking" have been used in a racially derogatory manner, specifically towards black slaves, but the various phrases aren't the same and should not preclude the use of a specific term that doesn't inherently imply racial bias.

I think that having a conversation about intent and meaning can do a lot to bridge a gap between two people but outside of straight-up misunderstanding what was said or what happened it's hard for me to imagine someone being "wrong" for being offended.

People live different lives, have different experiences, and develop different feelings about our world. Something that offends someone else might not offend me. That doesn't make either of us wrong, it means we are different people. There are lots of words that don't offend me in the slightest but I know others take offense to so, out of politeness, I don't use those words.

As for the phrase in question: As I said, I was surprised that people were taking offense to this but I can also see how one might. If it's something that might offend someone I have no problem excising it from my vocabulary (it's not like I was using it anyway). That said, I'd still be curious to hear from someone that was actually, personally offended by its use.
If you're going to change your vocabulary every time someone takes offense, you won't have much of a vocabulary left.  We're in an era where making mountains out of mole hills (or nothing at all) is the norm.  I'd say it was because people are too thin-skinned but I think a lot of it is people pushing their agendas. 

« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That being said, if someone calls it to our attention that maybe a particular statement is not very tactful, should we say ok and not use that term around them, or should we dig in and bring up the Constitution and other reasons why there's no negative intent, etc. etc. etc.

I don’t think anybody objects to being politely educated about an offensive phrase.

Taking away somebody’s paycheck for using a phrase in common usage is another thing entirely.

Common usage for which type of people?

I'm in my 30's and have never used this term. I get your point if you're talking to an 80 year old. We should let things slide for older people, in my opinion.

I don’t know what the age cut off is, but is there anybody who grew up in the 80s or before who hasn’t heard the phrase?

I gree up in the 80s, have definitely heard the phrase, and probably even used it.  I wouldn’t use it anymore, though, and I can completely see where it can be found offensive and in poor taste.

The phrase is old fashioned, tinged with racism, and on it’s way out of our vernacular.  I say; good riddance.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

If you're going to change your vocabulary every time someone takes offense, you won't have much of a vocabulary left.  We're in an era where making mountains out of mole hills (or nothing at all) is the norm.  I'd say it was because people are too thin-skinned but I think a lot of it is people pushing their agendas.

No, I have not found that to be the case at all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My favorite example of the Perpetual Outrage Machine:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/student-dressed-in-a-bacon-outfit-slammed-by-cnn-commentator-for-being-anti-semitic

Should this guy get a new suit to avoid offense to Jews, Muslims and vegetarians?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:19 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't understand people that are trying to defend the use of the term "cotton-picking" as a metaphor. Such a conversation crosses a line of decency.

Lol. Really? Are you going to censor terms like [d—n], For God’s Sake, Holy Cow, and “Jesus Christ” because they’re offensive to Christians? Is talking about their place in our language such an affront that it crosses a line of decency?
This forum does, so...

No one responded to this one. It's ok for the forum to have harsh language rules, but not the NBA?

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't understand people that are trying to defend the use of the term "cotton-picking" as a metaphor. Such a conversation crosses a line of decency.

Lol. Really? Are you going to censor terms like [d—n], For God’s Sake, Holy Cow, and “Jesus Christ” because they’re offensive to Christians? Is talking about their place in our language such an affront that it crosses a line of decency?
This forum does, so...

No one responded to this one. It's ok for the forum to have harsh language rules, but not the NBA?

Profanity, by its nature, is meant to be - at least in many instances - offensive.  Also, our rules are clearly laid out, so there’s notice.

Prohibitions on non-profane, non-racist language which lead to financial penalties without notice are different in kind. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:19 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

This forum does, so...

Profanity, by its nature, is meant to be - at least in many instances - offensive.  Also, our rules are clearly laid out, so there’s notice.

Prohibitions on non-profane, non-racist language which lead to financial penalties without notice are different in kind.

Is it your opinion that the word "D-A-M-N" is more offensive than "cotton-picking"?

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Westbrook: "Brian's been here for a while, I know him personally, but obviously what he said wasn't OK," Westbrook told reporters in Oklahoma City. "We all understand that."

Brian Davis: "It is with great remorse and humility that I accept this suspension for the insensitive words I used during Wednesday's broadcast," Davis said in a statement. "While unintentional, I understand and acknowledge the gravity of the situation. I offer my sincere apology and realize that, while I committed a lapse in judgment, such mistakes come with consequences. This is an appropriate consequence for my actions."

This is my take as well. Westbrook acknowledges that in 2018, it's not appropriate for a white announcer to state that a black athlete has lost his cotton-picking mind. Davis acknowledges that his words were insensitive.

I see no issues with how any of this has gone down. I'd be shocked if Brian Davis pushes further on the suspension. The optics would be worse than they are now.

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Westbrook: "Brian's been here for a while, I know him personally, but obviously what he said wasn't OK," Westbrook told reporters in Oklahoma City. "We all understand that."

Brian Davis: "It is with great remorse and humility that I accept this suspension for the insensitive words I used during Wednesday's broadcast," Davis said in a statement. "While unintentional, I understand and acknowledge the gravity of the situation. I offer my sincere apology and realize that, while I committed a lapse in judgment, such mistakes come with consequences. This is an appropriate consequence for my actions."

This is my take as well. Westbrook acknowledges that in 2018, it's not appropriate for a white announcer to state that a black athlete has lost his cotton-picking mind. Davis acknowledges that his words were insensitive.

I see no issues with how any of this has gone down. I'd be shocked if Brian Davis pushes further on the suspension. The optics would be worse than they are now.
just curious, have you ever heard of the Irish slave trade? I just fail to see how slavery is a racial issue since it affected both races

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This forum does, so...

Is it your opinion that the word "D-A-M-N" is more offensive than "cotton-picking"?

Of course it is.

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

just curious, have you ever heard of the Irish slave trade? I just fail to see how slavery is a racial issue since it affected both races

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I doubt his intention was to offend/be racist

but regardless... what does "out of his cotton picking mind" have to do with that play?  doesn't even sound cool

He should be suspended an extra game for saying something that has nothing to with anything

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html
come on... Using fake news new york times as a source? The entire article is attempting to rewrite history and calls slaves "indentured servants" in an attempt to act a if the Irish slave trade is a myth. It isn't... they didn't  even deny the Irish were slaves. Guessing you used biased Google right here ? Since its the first thing that Google comes up with.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:37:41 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

This forum does, so...

Of course it is.

I guess we will agree to disagree on this topic.