Author Topic: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment  (Read 16030 times)

Re: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That being said, if someone calls it to our attention that maybe a particular statement is not very tactful, should we say ok and not use that term around them, or should we dig in and bring up the Constitution and other reasons why there's no negative intent, etc. etc. etc.

I don’t think anybody objects to being politely educated about an offensive phrase.

Taking away somebody’s paycheck for using a phrase in common usage is another thing entirely.

Common usage for which type of people?

I'm in my 30's and have never used this term. I get your point if you're talking to an 80 year old. We should let things slide for older people, in my opinion.

I don’t know what the age cut off is, but is there anybody who grew up in the 80s or before who hasn’t heard the phrase?

I’ve def heard it, just haven’t used it. I also didn’t need to do a Google search to realize that it is a statement that a young white man should not be making.

That’s because our education system has let you down, leaving you with the impression that “cotton picking” automatically refers to blacks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
53 here and I heard and used it a lot as a way to call people crazy, nuts, etc. Used it in front of African American people, none of whom ever told me it offended them. The saying's origins may have been racial, but their conotation nowadays simply is not.

But this particular phrase doesn't have any racial origins. A different phrase with the term cotton-picking did, but that doesn't make this phrase also racist.

I mean, I would love for someone to actually try to explain how the phrase, "wait just a cotton-picking minute" could actually be racist.

It's not a term I can recall really ever using myself, but I've heard it used plenty by people older than I.

As for the topic of the thread, and the OKC announcer being suspended, I mean there's not much I can do about it, unfortunately. The people in our society that feel aggrieved by every little thing (even when there is no legitimate reason to be offended) are just much louder, more obnoxious, and more persistent than the reasonable minded people of our society that see through this outlandish behavior. I'm just not sure how to fight back against these people that should be pushed out of our society when so many people just seem to be indifferent to it all.

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2018, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
That being said, if someone calls it to our attention that maybe a particular statement is not very tactful, should we say ok and not use that term around them, or should we dig in and bring up the Constitution and other reasons why there's no negative intent, etc. etc. etc.

I don’t think anybody objects to being politely educated about an offensive phrase.

Taking away somebody’s paycheck for using a phrase in common usage is another thing entirely.

I'm in my 30's and have never used this term. I get your point if you're talking to an 80 year old. We should let things slide for older people, in my opinion.

I don’t know what the age cut off is, but is there anybody who grew up in the 80s or before who hasn’t heard the phrase?

I’ve def heard it, just haven’t used it. I also didn’t need to do a Google search to realize that it is a statement that a young white man should not be making.

That’s because our education system has let you down, leaving you with the impression that “cotton picking” automatically refers to blacks.

Nothing to do with our education system the obvious historic fact that predominantly slaves picked cotton and slaves are predominantly associated with picking cotton is all that is needed for it to automatically refer to blacks.  Seems ridiculous, to me, to give it any other meaning.  Read the full context of the earlier referenced phrase research.

I am in my late 60's and old enough to have heard and used the phrase.  I had never thought about the origin but when I think about how and when the phrase is used it has a racial undertone and I have been enlightened.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:44:19 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Nothing to do with our education system the obvious historic fact that predominantly slaves picked cotton and slaves are predominantly associated with picking cotton is all that is needed for it to automatically refer to blacks.  Seems ridiculous, to me, to give it any other meaning.  Read the full context of the earlier referenced phrase research.

I am old enough to have heard and used the phrase.  I had never thought about the origin but when I think about how and when the phrase is used it has a racial undertone and I have been enlightened.

Hooray for misinformation!

I reject everything you've said here. You are unequivocally wrong. The facts prove it so.

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

I am old enough to have heard and used the phrase.  I had never thought about the origin but when I think about how and when the phrase is used it has a racial undertone and I have been enlightened.

I reject everything you've said here. You are unequivocally wrong. The facts prove it so.

If you are referring to https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cotton-picking.html you should actually read it.
"It can come as as little surprise that the term 'cotton-picking' originated in the southern states of the USA, where it is usually pronounced cotton-pickin'. It began life in the late 1700s and differs from the 19th century Dixie term, 'cottonpicker', in that the latter was derogatory and racist, whereas 'cotton-picking' referred directly to the difficulty and harshness of gathering the crop. This didn't extend to the specific expression 'keep your cotton-picking hands off of me'. This no doubt alludes to the horny, calloused (and usually black) hands that picked cotton. "

or wait a cotton picking minute or you are out of your cotton picking mind!  Phrase is used in the same way in those expressions as it is used in the end of the paragraph.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I am in my late 60's and old enough to have heard and used the phrase.  I had never thought about the origin but when I think about how and when the phrase is used it has a racial undertone and I have been enlightened.
Since you think it is a racist phrase and you admit to using it, I think you should apologize to every black person you encounter for the next week. 

Edit:  Of course if you do so, they'll probably think that you're out of your cotton-picking mind.   ;D

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

If you are referring to https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cotton-picking.html you should actually read it.
"It can come as as little surprise that the term 'cotton-picking' originated in the southern states of the USA, where it is usually pronounced cotton-pickin'. It began life in the late 1700s and differs from the 19th century Dixie term, 'cottonpicker', in that the latter was derogatory and racist, whereas 'cotton-picking' referred directly to the difficulty and harshness of gathering the crop. This didn't extend to the specific expression 'keep your cotton-picking hands off of me'. This no doubt alludes to the horny, calloused (and usually black) hands that picked cotton. "

or wait a cotton picking minute or you are out of your cotton picking mind!  Phrase is used in the same way in those expressions as it is used in the end of the paragraph.

I know what the link says, I'm the one that originally referenced it in this thread.

Well, actually, what it said yesterday is a bit different from what it says today, as it's been updated since last night to include the now ignorant position that a previously non-racist phrase is now racist due to the uproar of a mob of ignorant fools.

Looks like the ignorant fools are winning. Good for them, I'm not impressed.

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's stop labeling some people as ignorant or fools and others as reasonable minded. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called names

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Since you think it is a racist phrase and you admit to using it, I think you should apologize to every black person you encounter for the next week. 

Edit:  Of course if you do so, they'll probably think that you're out of your cotton-picking mind.   ;D

Do you realize how childish/silly you sound?  This was something I probably used when it was a more common phrase when I was a child.  Why can't you just think about it, open your eyes like the Oklahoma Thunder and the announcer who said it and realize it is an antiquated phrase that was meant to demean people and has a racist Jim Crow derivation.

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Yes, let's also stop labeling people as racists, sexists, homophobes.....

Everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called names.

« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Do you realize how childish/silly you sound?  This was something I probably used when it was a more common phrase when I was a child.  Why can't you just think about it, open your eyes like the Oklahoma Thunder and the announcer who said it and realize it is an antiquated phrase that was meant to demean people and has a racist Jim Crow derivation.

It’s not really any of those things, though. It’s a replacement for “da—“.

The phrase “cotton picking” arose in the southern U.S. states sometime during the 1700s and was used to describe something that was unpleasant or troublesome.  Back then, cotton was a garden crop tended by white as well as black Southerners and the cotton was turned into cloth for home use in much the same that flax was turned into cloth for home use in the North.

“Cotton-picking” became part of the vernacular in the U.S. and in time, it was the phrase swapped in for unacceptable comments such as “God-[dang]” or “[dang]” when in polite society or if women were present.

The verdict:  Cotton pickin’ minute is not a racial slur but calling someone a cotton picker could be considered an insult.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/idiomation.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/cotton-pickin-minute/amp/

Definition of cotton-picking

1 : [dang]ed —used as a generalized expression of disapproval a cotton-picking hypocrite
2 : [dang]ed —used as an intensive
out of his cotton-picking mind —Irving Kristol

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cotton-picking

Every neutral site I look at suggests that it’s basically an expression of contempt / cuss word related not to race, but rather to the fact that cotton picking is grueling, painful work.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:03:29 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes, let's also stop labeling people as racists, sexists, homophobes.....

Everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called names.
That's not happening in this thread. I would suggest you desist with the kickback.

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

The phrase “cotton picking” arose in the southern U.S. states sometime during the 1700s and was used to describe something that was unpleasant or troublesome.  Back then, cotton was a garden crop tended by white as well as black Southerners and the cotton was turned into cloth for home use in much the same that flax was turned into cloth for home use in the North.

“Cotton-picking” became part of the vernacular in the U.S. and in time, it was the phrase swapped in for unacceptable comments such as “God-[dang]” or “[dang]” when in polite society or if women were present.

The verdict:  Cotton pickin’ minute is not a racial slur but calling someone a cotton picker could be considered an insult.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/idiomation.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/cotton-pickin-minute/amp/

1 : [dang]ed —used as a generalized expression of disapproval a cotton-picking hypocrite

Every neutral site I look at suggests that it’s basically an expression of contempt / cuss word related not to race, but rather to the fact that cotton picking is grueling, painful work.

The origin of the phrase is up for debate, but with the history of slavery in America the comment has been construed by people as racist. Thunder Vice President of Broadcasting Dan Mahoney told The Norman Transcript Davis' comments were "offensive and inappropriate."

The Thunder and Brian Davis (he apologized) disagree that it is not racist.  Cotton picking is and has been identified as a slave function.  Cotton Picking may be the primary purpose for slavery in the South.  On reflection I see it as likely having a racist derivation and undertone in it's use.  None of the explanations here have been definitive.  I am the first to admit that I have been wrong before.

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

The origin of the phrase is up for debate, but with the history of slavery in America the comment has been construed by people as racist. Thunder Vice President of Broadcasting Dan Mahoney told The Norman Transcript Davis' comments were "offensive and inappropriate."

The Thunder and Brian Davis (he apologized) disagree that it is not racist.  Cotton picking is and has been identified as a slave function.  Cotton Picking may be the primary purpose for slavery in the South.  On reflection I see it as likely having a racist derivation and undertone in it's use.  None of the explanations here have been definitive.  I am the first to admit that I have been wrong before.
if 5% of the population think something is racist and pipe up about it and 95% don't and keep quiet who's to be the judge? The Thunder probably wanted to head this off at the pass before it blew up - like things tend to do in the social media age.

If Davis was a racist, he sure wouldn't be making his living calling NBA games.  Again you talk off the cuff with no editing for 2 to 3 hours a night on live TV many times year (90 if he does home and away) and he's lasted 8 years.  I think he's allowed a slip up or two.

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So Brian Davis thought it was racist, but used it anyway? Odd that he was able to keep his job.

As for the Thunder, it’s easier to punish somebody without fault than it is to stand up to the SJW’s constantly claiming “offense”.  As a rule of thumb, it’s easier to say “no can do” and sell your employees down the river than it is to tell the peanut gallery of SJWs  that they’re out of their cotton-pickin’ minds.