Author Topic: Paul George Rumors (Merged)  (Read 26302 times)

Re: Realgm Celtics board PG13 to Boston (rumor)
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You have to weigh the option of would you rather build through the draft the next 3 years and around guys like Rozier and Brown...if so you will contend but when will you be able to strike?

In a way it makes sense to play it out and keep the #1s so the cavs and warriors windows shut. By the time your young team is ready...those two teams are dismantled because of cap issues

And then there may be another super team to contend with (Anthony Davis is only 23 and Demarcus Cousins is only 26, just saying...)

I have no worries about the Pelicans ever becoming a super team.  They do not have the organizational resources (management, scouting, coaching, or budget.)

I think you're right. They'll have three max players and a ton of holes. They won't be able to add the role players that, say, Cleveland added / already had in place.

They'll be fun to watch though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You have to weigh the option of would you rather build through the draft the next 3 years and around guys like Rozier and Brown...if so you will contend but when will you be able to strike?

In a way it makes sense to play it out and keep the #1s so the cavs and warriors windows shut. By the time your young team is ready...those two teams are dismantled because of cap issues

There's no guarantee whatsoever that "your young team" would contend.

We don't know that Smart - Brown - 2017 Nets - 2018 Nets is a contending core 3-4 years down the line.

We also don't know that the Warriors and Cavs will really get "dismantled" as you say.  They may not always be as deep as they are now, but the Warriors can probably keep Curry - Klay - Dray - Durant for the foreseeable future, while the Cavs can hold onto Irving - LeBron - Love for a while.

The Celts will have their own cap issues after next season when Bradley, Thomas, and Smart all hit free agency.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I like George the most of all our options, but even for him I'm not giving up Brown AND the Brooklyn first. Plus Bradley? No thanks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:25 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
For me a check on whether trade proposal is realistic is simple: does it hurt?
In this case, it does. I do not want to give up Brown or 17 Nets pick, but you have to give something of value to get value back.
Also, historically, a team that gets the best player in a trade usually wins long term.

Given all of this, I would stand behind this kind of trade.

However, if we add another non-BKN 1st to Philly and get Saric for that then the trade, from my perspective, would be much better.

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Philly makes out like a bandit in this deal.

Mike

Yeah, why wouldn't Indy just keep Bradley? He's much better than Okafor.

Okafor would be around the same age as Myles Turner and Jaylen Brown - the core could grow together. Also worth noting that AB is an FA after next season and will be looking at a huge payday. Doesn't make sense to commit big money to a role player during a rebuild.

First, I disagree that teams that grow together turn out better. Leadership is important.

More to my point, though, is that Okafor has huge flaws, while Bradley is a good starter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Philly makes out like a bandit in this deal.

Mike

Yeah, why wouldn't Indy just keep Bradley? He's much better than Okafor.

Okafor would be around the same age as Myles Turner and Jaylen Brown - the core could grow together. Also worth noting that AB is an FA after next season and will be looking at a huge payday. Doesn't make sense to commit big money to a role player during a rebuild.

First, I disagree that teams that grow together turn out better. Leadership is important.

More to my point, though, is that Okafor has huge flaws, while Bradley is a good starter.

That is precisely why I would want Saric in addition to the trade. 4 years of team control and compensates for a difference between Bradley and Okafor. If Philly thinks that difference between Okafor and Bradley is not worth Saric, then we just include another late 1st rounder.

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
For me a check on whether trade proposal is realistic is simple: does it hurt?

My test: does it originate from a RealGM "insider"? If so, it's not real.  ;)

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I just want to pause a moment and think about this:

Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Paul George, Al Horford, Marcus Smart

Forget all the other pieces and assets.

If you could get George this week and then keep those 5 guys together for the next 4-5 seasons after this one, filling out the rest of the roster with cheap young guys and vets ... they might never be the top team in the league, but they'd have a chance to go far once or twice if everything came together.

I really like the blend of skillsets with that group.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Bradley and a nets pick and memphis pick will be fine for indiana

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

If you could get George this week and then keep those 5 guys together for the next 4-5 seasons after this one, filling out the rest of the roster with cheap young guys and vets ... they might never be the top team in the league, but they'd have a chance to go far once or twice if everything came together.

If that group means 4 last place finishes but one guaranteed championship in the next 5 years.

SIGN ME UP.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I am 100% with you on that Pho. We would be a very fun team to watch. Every single one of our starting 5 could put the ball on the floor and make plays, on top of being able to score in their own unique way. We would have IT4 and PG13 as playmakers who can simultaneously play off the ball. Smart could be a defensive hound who makes plays for others and continues to slowly make his shot better (not great but better.) Horford could shoot, pass the ball and protect the rim. Crowder would just continue to be a great 3 and d guy on the best "role player" contract in the league.

I know you want to ignore the other pieces and assets, but we could bring Zizic or the BRK 18 big along slowly, or flip them for a solid rebounding big. Our team would be set, and our ability to contend would be set for years to come.

Go get PG13 Danny. It is what has to be done.
#JKJB

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would we have enough assets to go after Drummond?

I would give up Crowder, as he can play 2 and 4, but I'm not confident in him being stationed at that position entirely.

Horford/Drummond is a nice front court.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Would we have enough assets to go after Drummond?

I would give up Crowder, as he can play 2 and 4, but I'm not confident in him being stationed at that position entirely.

Horford/Drummond is a nice front court.

I'm not sure that frontcourt is fleet of foot enough for today's league.  Those guys in switches against perimeter players could be trouble.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I am 100% with you on that Pho. We would be a very fun team to watch. Every single one of our starting 5 could put the ball on the floor and make plays, on top of being able to score in their own unique way. We would have IT4 and PG13 as playmakers who can simultaneously play off the ball. Smart could be a defensive hound who makes plays for others and continues to slowly make his shot better (not great but better.) Horford could shoot, pass the ball and protect the rim. Crowder would just continue to be a great 3 and d guy on the best "role player" contract in the league.

I know you want to ignore the other pieces and assets, but we could bring Zizic or the BRK 18 big along slowly, or flip them for a solid rebounding big. Our team would be set, and our ability to contend would be set for years to come.

Go get PG13 Danny. It is what has to be done.
Stop it. Not going to be able to put my phone down today.

;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Why is Okafor worth Bradley?

He's not...