Author Topic: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?  (Read 41266 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Can I take my bow now?

Told you so

;D

Hayward and George BABY!!!!

Still doubt it happens.

Will be A LOT of luxury tax $$$ and unlike most, I'm not high on losing BOTH Bradley and Crowder for who is still going to be just a rental (for now).

If he extends and stays, WOO HOO!

If not....  >:(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 02:44:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The best part of this is we're keeping brown. Ainge promised that lol. Hope he doesn't break the promise

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Is there any benefit to (assuming Hayward gets signed) trading for George for one year and then having him leave as a free agent?  Is there any cap benefit that might help in 18-19 and beyond?

Having trouble figuring out why they'd do this without being assured he'll sign an extension.

I can't see any benefit, but I think with Hayward in the bag Danny feels an extension isn't necessary, since it'd be really difficult for PG to leave that type of superteam for LA, which most around the NBA and here also assume is true.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
although as saltover explains..idk how this is feasible

Oh, it's feasible to sign Hayward and the trade for George, which is what Woj is reporting.  It's not reasonably feasible to sign Hayward and trade for George while extending him.

I do question the finances of affording a max contract for George next year having maxed Hayward this year, especially if keeping IT to a presumably max deal.  And until such a trade happens, I will continue to question it.  But if ownership is willing to go all in, I'm all for it.

Maybe IT will take a discount and not take the full max considering his very obvious flaws on the defensive end while his offense is so dynamic, he isnt required anymore to be on hero mode all the time if PG and Hayaward is here anyways.  I know it might be an insult to IT if he isnt even offered the max but he was already onboard saying he wants to wait out and let the market dictate his price and he would rather have help and be on a winning organization than cripple the organization he is playing for just to appease his pocket...he is a multimillionaire anyway you put it.

AB did it and so did Jae, they accepted salaries that are less than what they can get in the open market so there could be a chance of doing this.

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is there any benefit to (assuming Hayward gets signed) trading for George for one year and then having him leave as a free agent?  Is there any cap benefit that might help in 18-19 and beyond?

Having trouble figuring out why they'd do this without being assured he'll sign an extension.
is there anything clearly stating one way or the other if there's an agreement to extend or not?  no extension agreement should lessen the quality of the pick going out to Indy.  still ok with moving AB and Crowder in the deal if we're getting Hayward first

Because the only way to extend George would require too much being sent out in salary to make sense.  (Either every player but Horford and the newly signed Hayward would be traded, including IT, or Horford would have to be moved with at least one other player.)

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Sources on @TheVertical: Boston working to sequence the acquisitions of Gordon Hayward and Paul George.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/879766343867912193
I can't open twitter at work.  can someone recap it for me for a TP?

Woj simply stated that Ainge's plan is to trade for George after they sign Hayward, which is contingent on whether or not they can get a handshake agreement with Gordon before hand, so they can make the trade easily after FA.

Woj reports that the only issue is that Pacers may or may not want to wait, and may go ahead and trade for someone else, or that Hayward simply flakes. Which then Woj reports, Griffin may also be a second option just incase Hayward doesn't work out, and that George may stay if involved in a championship caliber kind of team.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Oh, it's feasible to sign Hayward and the trade for George, which is what Woj is reporting.  It's not reasonably feasible to sign Hayward and trade for George while extending him.

I do question the finances of affording a max contract for George next year having maxed Hayward this year, especially if keeping IT to a presumably max deal.  And until such a trade happens, I will continue to question it.  But if ownership is willing to go all in, I'm all for it.

Thanks Saltover. This is exactly what I thought you've been saying. Not impossible to get both, but impossible to sign Hayward AND get George with an extension.

As long as DA doesn't sacrifice the future for one year with Hayward-George it sounds OK to me.  But why would Hayward sign here if George is not likely to stay?  C's would release players to pick up GH and then trade players and assets to get PG -- and then PG leaves after a year?  This would leave GH holding the bag with IT about to sign a max, Al another year older, and no $$ to sign another FA.   This is why I've suggested that GH MUST be communicating with PG.   PG would have to give Hayward some assurance that he'll stay beyond a year.  Otherwise, GH may be better off staying in Utah or listening to Pat Riley's plan in Miami.

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

I can't see any benefit, but I think with Hayward in the bag Danny feels an extension isn't necessary, since it'd be really difficult for PG to leave that type of superteam for LA, which most around the NBA and here also assume is true.
The 2018 LA pick just increased in value!!!

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I don't buy the narrative "George to LA", at least not for his next contract.
I believe this is all smoke screen so George can be traded without the team being fleeced.
It has been reported that George wants to play with Hayward and that he likes IT a lot.
Don't tell me George will run away from a great big 4 team contender with bright future (3 top 5 picks).
Also Danny has probably work his PR with his agent to get a feel of an extension next season.

Here we go, Zaren is working his magic.

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Can the cs extend and trade players in exchange for for pg? Sign Hayward, then go over the cap to extend Bradley, Smart and/or IT deals, then trade for pg. Even doing so with IT's deal make sense for the celtics as a lineup core of Bradley, Smart, Pg, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, horford would probably be better set for now and later than IT, PG, Hayward, AL and one of Brown and Tatum but no cap to sign quality role players.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

because ainge is panicking
Or maybe, just maybe, because he wants to get two of the best available players?

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

It's very feasible if Ainge is willing to send out the requisite salaries in trade.

sorry i meant more the luxury tax implications once both are in the fold than the ability to trade for PG

Wyc would have to be down with picking up the largest luxury tax bill ever for a team that wouldn't even be the favorite to win it all...oof.

We'd be favorite to win ECF IMO.  And compete with GSW. Depending on chemistry of course.

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

No benefit whatsoever.

Ainge would be betting that by offering George a title-contending team, as well as the increased money/years with Bird rights, that George would resign.
I suppose it would make sense if you have Tatum and Brown ready to step in. But I still wouldn't overpay for George and whatever they'd be offering would be better than Clarkson & Randle.  Pacers can apparently have that deal if they want it.

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
It could make the bench thin, but if we could just keep Rozier OR Smart, we should be ok.

IT
Jaylen
Hayward
George
Horford
---------
Rozier or Smart
Tatum
Zizic

Would need to try and pickup a PF with whatever exception we have to use.  Keeping Smart would obviously make that 2nd unit very strong, but he is up for an extension soon. So might need to part with him for luxury tax purposes. Paying 4 players a max contract is gonna make it costly for Wyc to extend Smart. Might be better to keep Rozier instead. (Trade AB, Smart, Crowder all to Indiana)

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

I'm assuming that Ainge doesn't do this trade unless he's convinced that PG13 isn't necessarily leaving.

I want to believe that this will happen. I really, really want to believe. But I've been hurt so many times in the past that I'm reluctant to get into a relationship with another "almost there" trade idea.

Mike