Author Topic: 28, 8, and 5  (Read 4987 times)

Re: 28, 8, and 5
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 11:59:11 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Thomas averaged 29/6/3 last year.

Gaudy stats aren't as impressive when you only bring it on one side of the ball and your scoring is inflated by oversized usage.

Yes, and last year we didn't have Hayward and his 22ppg (at the slowest pace in the league), Jaylen was 19, no Tatum, no Morris who averaged 14 last year, and last year Bradley missed half the year. ITs stats last year are irrelevant in this comparison.

Your second paragraph is blatantly referring to IT (worse on D, higher usage rate) and not Kyrie, so there's that...
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:20 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
27, 7, 4

I think that is pretty on-point.

Thomas averaged 29 PPG here last year, but he never really had a true #2 scoring option (i.e. a guy good enough to consistently carry the offense any time he sits).  AB, Crowder and Horford took this on by committee, but IT4 was kind of always options #1 and #2 - everything went through him.

Now we have Hayward, who has proven he can be a consistent go-to guy, and is a legit #2 option.  Because of that, Kyrie probably isn't going to get quite as much usage as Thomas did here last year - which is why I think 29 PPG (while certainly not out of the question) probably won't happen.  I think 27 PPG is more likely.

One great thing about this team is that although out big 3 isn't necessarily the best or most talented big 3 in the league, they are quote perfect in terms of fit. 

Kyrie wants the spotlight, wants the ball in his hands, and wants to have the keys to the team - and he will have it.

Hayward has proven he's very capable of being a #1 guy on a nightly basis, but from comments he's made so far it seems he'd actually kinda prefer not to have that responsibility on his shoulders.  It seems he's happiest in a role where he can play his game and make an impact without the pressure of having to take leadership and put everybody on his shoulders - and that makes him pretty much the perfect #2 guy, because it means he's not going to be wanting to compete with Kyrie for that #1 role.

Horford doesn't seem like he really wants to be a #1 or #2, because last year he could have been our #2 but seemed more comfortable making plays and deferring to teammates.  He's a nice fit as our #3 guy who can make open baskets when he gets them, help take some of the playmaking responsibilities off Kyrie, and occasionally step up with big games when he's needed.
Agree with everything except Horford. I think he had some lingering effects from his injury and when he came back he was in a terrible slump. But come the playoffs, he was the obvious #2 and looked for his shot a lot more. Horford's game in the playoffs is what I would love to see this year all year long. It would make him one of the better #3 options in the league.

I like your optimism, but looking at Horford's stats the last 3 or so seasons I am sadly not convinced.

He just didn't look hungry, at all, on the offensive end.  Played with very little aggressiveness.  Seemed to make shots when he took them, but just didn't seem to take them very often.  Disappeared from games completely far more often then I'd have liked to see for a former All-Star and $27m man. 

I really do hope he is more aggressive this year - if he plays all year the way he played in the playoffs last year, I would be stoked.  But I'm not holding my hopes up on that.

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 01:59:37 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
27, 7, 4

I think that is pretty on-point.

Thomas averaged 29 PPG here last year, but he never really had a true #2 scoring option (i.e. a guy good enough to consistently carry the offense any time he sits).  AB, Crowder and Horford took this on by committee, but IT4 was kind of always options #1 and #2 - everything went through him.

Now we have Hayward, who has proven he can be a consistent go-to guy, and is a legit #2 option.  Because of that, Kyrie probably isn't going to get quite as much usage as Thomas did here last year - which is why I think 29 PPG (while certainly not out of the question) probably won't happen.  I think 27 PPG is more likely.

One great thing about this team is that although out big 3 isn't necessarily the best or most talented big 3 in the league, they are quote perfect in terms of fit. 

Kyrie wants the spotlight, wants the ball in his hands, and wants to have the keys to the team - and he will have it.

Hayward has proven he's very capable of being a #1 guy on a nightly basis, but from comments he's made so far it seems he'd actually kinda prefer not to have that responsibility on his shoulders.  It seems he's happiest in a role where he can play his game and make an impact without the pressure of having to take leadership and put everybody on his shoulders - and that makes him pretty much the perfect #2 guy, because it means he's not going to be wanting to compete with Kyrie for that #1 role.

Horford doesn't seem like he really wants to be a #1 or #2, because last year he could have been our #2 but seemed more comfortable making plays and deferring to teammates.  He's a nice fit as our #3 guy who can make open baskets when he gets them, help take some of the playmaking responsibilities off Kyrie, and occasionally step up with big games when he's needed.
Agree with everything except Horford. I think he had some lingering effects from his injury and when he came back he was in a terrible slump. But come the playoffs, he was the obvious #2 and looked for his shot a lot more. Horford's game in the playoffs is what I would love to see this year all year long. It would make him one of the better #3 options in the league.

I like your optimism, but looking at Horford's stats the last 3 or so seasons I am sadly not convinced.

He just didn't look hungry, at all, on the offensive end.  Played with very little aggressiveness.  Seemed to make shots when he took them, but just didn't seem to take them very often.  Disappeared from games completely far more often then I'd have liked to see for a former All-Star and $27m man. 

I really do hope he is more aggressive this year - if he plays all year the way he played in the playoffs last year, I would be stoked.  But I'm not holding my hopes up on that.
Horford was fine. Was he perfect? No. But look at this way. He isn't lamarcus Aldridge who gets benches for sucking hard. Or deandre jordan who can't play or shouldn't in 4th quarters because he can't hit a free throw. I like who we got

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 03:37:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Irving isn't going to average 8 assists next year.  Yes he played with Lebron, but that was a half court offense where Lebron or Irving held the ball and created everything.  The C's offense has much more ball movement.  Hopefully Irving won't get to pound the ball like he is used to.