Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38943 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
But, here is the point. If this team is not going to make the playoffs, it makes more sense to finish as low as possible than to make wins. 

However, what does "as possible" mean?  No one really argues with trading away high priced-vets or not adding big salaries if you get into a season and realize you're going to suck.  Some did argue when Ainge came into a mid-level team and blew it up because he didn't think it was ever going to get any better, but at least he didn't just strip mine the Celtics and get nothing in return.

What Philly is doing, engaging in a multi-year plan to have as little talent as possible on the roster and refusing to do anything to improve other than suck their way into high draft picks, is not something that really anyone has tried before.

Mike
Sonics/Thunder

June 28, 2007 trade Ray Allen, 2nd for Green, West, corpse of Wally, future 2nd
July 11, 2007 trade Rashard Lewis for protected 2nd and trade exception
February 20, 2008 trade Kurt Thomas for Elson, protected 1st, contract of Brent Barry (who was immediately waived)
February 21, 2008 trade Wally, West for Newble, Marshall, Griffin (cost saving trade)
August 13, 2008 trade Ridnour, Griffin for Smith, Mason (lateral move)
August 14, 2008 lose Elson to free agency (thus solidifying the sell off of Thomas)
August 20, 2008 waive Marshall
September 29 & 30, 2008 sign a bunch of d-leaguers 3 of which are waived 1 month later (thus solidifying the only free agency move as re-signing Swift on Sept 11)
January 7, 2009 trade Petro, 2nd for Atkins, cash, protected 1st
February 17, 2009 - first real win now move by trading for Chandler, but trade is rescinded when Chandler fails physical
February 19, 2009 trade the January 7th acquired 1st for Sefolosha (win now move)
but follow that up on the same day by trading Wilcox for Malike Rose and cash (back to selling off)
July 27, 2009 trade Atkins, Wilkins for Thomas, 2nd, conditional 2nd (acquiring assets again)
Only real free agent signed in 2009 is Kevin Ollie (team re-signed Sefolosha)
December 22, 2009 this is when they start making win now moves by trading Peter Fehse for Harpring, Maynor
June 23, 2010 trade 2nd for Cook, 1st (to help Heat clear cap room for James and co.)
though they then turn around and trade the 1st the next day for a future 1st (the first they traded was Bledsoe, the 1st they acquired was Fab Melo)

From that point on they pretty much are more in the win now mold of trades, but for basically a 3 year period the Thunder were selling off as much as they could to acquire assets and tank for draft position.  No one thinks of them in the Philly mold because Durant, Westbrook, and Harden (and Ibaka to a lesser extent) were pretty darn good players from their first game in the league, but this Philly strategy has been done a lot more than people think, the difference of course is Philly took some players that had injuries or were overseas (but Noel is probably going to be the best player from his draft, Embiid certainly could be the best player from his, and Saric is one of the best players in Europe).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
But, here is the point. If this team is not going to make the playoffs, it makes more sense to finish as low as possible than to make wins. 

However, what does "as possible" mean?  No one really argues with trading away high priced-vets or not adding big salaries if you get into a season and realize you're going to suck.  Some did argue when Ainge came into a mid-level team and blew it up because he didn't think it was ever going to get any better, but at least he didn't just strip mine the Celtics and get nothing in return.

What Philly is doing, engaging in a multi-year plan to have as little talent as possible on the roster and refusing to do anything to improve other than suck their way into high draft picks, is not something that really anyone has tried before.

Mike

Did they trade away the best veteran players for nothing after getting Durant?  Did they trade away an all-star player for a draft pick who wouldn't even play for a year?  After drafting Durant and Westbrook, did they then trade away their best remaining veteran player for nothing?

Again, NO ONE has really done what Philly is doing.

Mike

Mike

« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think you'll find Moranis's post explains the situation pretty well, but yes, they did trade away their best veteran players after drafting Durant, as a matter of fact.

“It was tough for me especially coming in as a young player,” Durant said of his rookie season.  “I thought I was going to play with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis when they were All-Star every year.”
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/Durant-recalls-tanking-gives-Sixers-advice.html#j8O3Ps4EWiWx42mg.99
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sure, in a vacuum, it does makes more sense to finish as low as possible if you're not going to make the playoffs. 

However, that doesn't appear to be the direction this organization is going to go.  Rather than try the Philly route,  Boston seems to be focused on developing young talent, asset collection, and getting themselves roster flexibility.   Build things back up through trades, drafting, and utilizing cap space.   If done right, they don't need to bottom out.  If done wrong, they're lingering in Lotto Land and/or low playoff seeding.    They're still in the strip mining/asset acquisition/develop youth phase of this rebuild.  We haven't seen them go for broke or try to cash in yet.   

It's just another way to try & approach a rebuild.
Well said, TP. And let's also add that the lottery has shown that you do not have to have the absolute worst record in the league to improve your draft positioning. The lottery is filled with teams that finished with the 5th through 14th worst records that improved their draft position by winning one of the top three draft slots.

« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I am not sure how the conversation on Bynum fits in, but the front office had clearly decided not to keep him before they made the trade with Anthony.
As for the 15 that they kept in the roster, they certainly did not wait until the last week before the beginning of the season to make this decision.
This has nothing to do with tanking, just saving some money.

« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The "tanking" votes went up by 1.
We are 23 now  ;D
I think it moved, Jerry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsTnfqTfPg

« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Btw, since we are into 'semantics' for a team to tank it does not matter what the  fans want, but what the front office does.

« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I haven't read this thread, but I'll insert..."No, and we weren't tanking last year, either."

« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I haven't read this thread, but I'll insert..."No, and we weren't tanking last year, either."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

;D
Tanking is the thing they do in Philly. In Boston we prefer to feel genuinely surprised with every single game loss.

« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2014, 09:22:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Really p---ed off with the way we lost at Houston: low 3% + the star calls.
I am afraid that if we perform poorly in the first twenty or so games, then Danny will pull the trigger and we ll go tanking big time. I am trying to enjoy this team while its playing at the max of its abilities and having the refs messing with it really gives me the creeps.

« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I am afraid that if we perform poorly in the first twenty or so games, then Danny will pull the trigger and we ll go tanking big time. I am trying to enjoy this team while its playing at the max of its abilities and having the refs messing with it really gives me the creeps.

everyone can blame the refs all they like. but by now everyone should know they're horrible and should expect the bad officiating. specifically the players and coaches.

that's why you don't put the game in their hands.

« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
also, last night was a good example of why tanking is a better option than making an 8 seed.

« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

everyone can blame the refs all they like. but by now everyone should know they're horrible and should expect the bad officiating. specifically the players and coaches.

that's why you don't put the game in their hands.

Two top ten or so players are going to get calls.  Not surprising.  We could have had this be a closer game.  I don't think the refs are the number one complaint.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
also, last night was a good example of why tanking is a better option than making an 8 seed.

The funny thing is that Houston never tanked, was a consistent low playoff seed, collected assets, and traded for and signed their stars in free agency.