Author Topic: Rockets Are Shopping Capela  (Read 22226 times)

Re: Rockets Are Shopping Capela
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/01/clint-capela-expected-to-miss-more-time-with-heel-contusion/

Maybe this is why the Rockets are so eager to deal him

Yeah I was also going to bring this up, but Capela is currently hurt. Doris Burke in yesterday's broadcast also basically hinted he's out at least through the All-Star game, so...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I do not think Houston makes just the deal with the Celtics. Think they take what Boston sends to them and moves it out for a wing

Yup

The Theis and Covington to Rockets idea has been flown around already

Will the Wolves co operate is the question

If Rockets are willing to take Poirier, Theis, Langford  and a future 1st (non grizz) for Capela

I wouldn't think twice

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=wkkpzz9

Could possibly get away with not giving up Theis or Kanter but would have to gut the bench. Sign a bunch of buyout guys to replace them I guess.

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2020, 04:07:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/01/clint-capela-expected-to-miss-more-time-with-heel-contusion/

Maybe this is why the Rockets are so eager to deal him

Yeah I was also going to bring this up, but Capela is currently hurt. Doris Burke in yesterday's broadcast also basically hinted he's out at least through the All-Star game, so...

Will it require surgery? 

If he can't jump, explode off the ground

Capela value drops below basement

Danny has to be mindful of this as Capela is signed up for the next 3 years or so

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Could possibly get away with not giving up Theis or Kanter but would have to gut the bench. Sign a bunch of buyout guys to replace them I guess.

won't work

Rockets want a 3 and D vet

The best the Celts could offer is Langford and Semi.  Not Edwards

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
What worries me is Boston already has at least one or two rotation player hurt every game. If you give up Theis then you are counting on Kanter to stay healthy which he seems he can't. If Capela is also hurt, that is a big risk.

Theis has at least stayed healthy this season.

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I do not think Houston makes just the deal with the Celtics. Think they take what Boston sends to them and moves it out for a wing

Hayward is not getting traded. Houston has nothing to match his 32 million contract. Smart is too important to the team to be moved.

Which begs the question .... why wouldn't the C's just trade those pieces for that wing?

Most of the Cs losses this year have been due to our wing / guard scoring off the bench being non-existent.   In those few games where we've had two of our 'core 4' get struck by cold shooting or out injured or caught by early foul trouble, we've had no one able to come off the bench and make up the scoring.  That's been a much bigger issue than the center position.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Hayward is not getting traded. Houston has nothing to match his 32 million contract. Smart is too important to the team to be moved.

Which begs the question .... why wouldn't the C's just trade those pieces for that wing?

Most of the Cs losses this year have been due to our wing / guard scoring off the bench being non-existent.   In those few games where we've had two of our 'core 4' get struck by cold shooting or out injured or caught by early foul trouble, we've had no one able to come off the bench and make up the scoring.  That's been a much bigger issue than the center position.
Because that deal would involve Theis, and it would leave us with no frontcourt depth whatsoever.

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I think Danny is anticipating going up against the Pacers, Sixers, Bucks, etc. in the playoffs where you need physical bigs. But I would rather add bench scoring at the wing if it were up to me.

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2020, 04:15:48 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I think Danny is anticipating going up against the Pacers, Sixers, Bucks, etc. in the playoffs where you need physical bigs. But I would rather add bench scoring at the wing if it were up to me.

The Cs literally have more/better wings than any team in the NBA right now. Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Hayward give you four high level wings. Ojeleye and Grant Williams can play the corner wing spot pretty well. Even Green gives you good production in limited minutes.

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

If you are acquiring Capela you might as well give up either Theis or kanter since you can't realistically get enough minutes for all three. Capela plays about 30 a game himself.

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Probably because any wing we acquire won't be in the closing lineup, and Capella probably would. That somewhat caps the useful of getting a guy like say Covington over Capela for the C's even if in a vacuum a wing  has more value around the league.

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
3 years left on contract, injury prone, just a bit small. I’d give up Kanter, 2 end of bench guys and a pick. But it could come back to bite us bad. Especially if Rob Will remains unavailable. Plus, I don’t think Capela is even playing right now, so our big depth would tank for a good bit.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Probably because any wing we acquire won't be in the closing lineup, and Capella probably would. That somewhat caps the useful of getting a guy like say Covington over Capela for the C's even if in a vacuum a wing  has more value around the league.

If our concern is over a closing lineup, then I'd rather have Theis at the 5 than Capela.   HOU agrees - they go with Tucker at the 5 a ton in clutch situations.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

If our concern is over a closing lineup, then I'd rather have Theis at the 5 than Capela.   HOU agrees - they go with Tucker at the 5 a ton in clutch situations.

Ehhhh, maybe against the warriors they do. But the old warriors are kind of not a thing right now, I dont see a team in the eats Capella cant play against this year. And HOUS does that too get shooting on the floor, in a Kemba, Hayward, Brown, Tatum ending unit thats less important. Capella would close a lot, Smart is some situations.

Also a quick check shows Capela plays almost 8 minutes a game this year in the 4th quarte, pretty much exactly what Tatum and Brown play which would seem to indicate he's not being played off the floor. I dont now how to check how much he plays the last five minutes specifically tho.

I'm not saying Theis for Capela I a home run or anything, but I get why the Celtics would look hard at it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:24:44 PM by keevsnick »