Author Topic: Rockets Are Shopping Capela  (Read 22110 times)

Re: Rockets Are Shopping Capela
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 01:45:44 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It could be something like:

Minny receives: Langford, Poirier, Memphis 1st
Houston receives: Covington, Theis
Celtics receive: Capella

Keeps the Celtics core while upgrading the center position.

Problem with this trade is that, if the Wolves could get Capela for Covington, I'd guess they'd want to keep him under some silly idea of making a win-now move. Maybe they would do the smart thing and keep building slowly, but I doubt it.

Theis is too good to do that trade, making both Minny and Houston come out on top.  For Celtics take out Memphis pick.  Minny gets a second round pick from Houston.  And maybe a second from Boston depending on Langford's value in Boston's eyes.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 03:06:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Have there been actual rumours that the Celtics want Capela? From what I've read it seems like most of the rumours are coming from the Rockets, and I sure hope that is the case (don't think Capela is a meaningful upgrade over Theis with the defensive system we play).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:12:45 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 05:36:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Surprising that they are
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:38 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Problem with this trade is that, if the Wolves could get Capela for Covington, I'd guess they'd want to keep him under some silly idea of making a win-now move. Maybe they would do the smart thing and keep building slowly, but I doubt it.
Nah, I bet they view KAT as a Center. If I were the Wolves, I wouldn't want to play KAT out of position.

This is a great idea! I already gave you a TP in the trade deadline thread. Here's one more!

Not sure whether it would be worth it to sacrifice the Memphis pick. According to Marc Stein, the asking price for Covington is 2 firsts. Hopefully, the Wolves like Langford and they settle for just one first (the C's 2020 first).

rotation come playoff time

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)
Hayward (36) - Smart (12)
Tatum (36) - Semi/G. Williams (12)
Capela (32) - Kanter (16)

If you ask me, this is a championship-caliber team. Not to mention, we'd have 2 roster spots available to strengthen the roster via the buyout market.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:49:34 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 07:56:12 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Nah, I bet they view KAT as a Center. If I were the Wolves, I wouldn't want to play KAT out of position.

This is a great idea! I already gave you a TP in the trade deadline thread. Here's one more!

Not sure whether it would be worth it to sacrifice the Memphis pick. According to Marc Stein, the asking price for Covington is 2 firsts. Hopefully, the Wolves like Langford and they settle for just one first (the C's 2020 first).

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)

If you ask me, this is a championship-caliber team. Not to mention, we'd have 2 roster spots available to strengthen the roster via the buyout market.

I dont see much difference from our current team. Our primary need isnt addressed (bench scoring/shooting). We gained a little D but we lose on offense. Plus it cost us basically 2 late lottery picks.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 08:13:48 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Theis is too good to do that trade, making both Minny and Houston come out on top.  For Celtics take out Memphis pick.  Minny gets a second round pick from Houston.  And maybe a second from Boston depending on Langford's value in Boston's eyes.

We have firsts. They are a late firsts (other than the Memphis pick). I think we can sacrifice them to get a high level starting center and rim runner.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 08:15:02 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)

I dont see much difference from our current team. Our primary need isnt addressed (bench scoring/shooting). We gained a little D but we lose on offense. Plus it cost us basically 2 late lottery picks.

I guess you and I disagree with what our primary need is.

With Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Walker, I think we have enough shot creators for the playoffs. We are also a pretty good shooting team that generates a lot of good looks.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)

Imo, our primary need is to upgrade the C position. We already have enough firepower in Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Kanter (+Edwards). No need for a scorer off the bench. At least one of these guys is always on the court to carry the offensive load.

We could use a shooter, I give you that. Hopefully, we could sign one via the buyout market.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 08:47:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)

Imo, our primary need is to upgrade the C position. We already have enough firepower in Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Kanter (+Edwards). No need for a scorer off the bench. At least one of these guys is always on the court to carry the offensive load.

We could use a shooter, I give you that. Hopefully, we could sign one via the buyout market.

Defintely not the biggest need. Our three man rotation at Center will suffice. Capela isn't enough improvement to warrant that trade. Most of our losses stemmed from the bench failing to provide firepower when our starters arent scoring, and not because we were destroyed inside.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Our three man rotation at Center will suffice.
There won't be a 3-man rotation come playoff time. Timelord-Poirier aren't good enough. Not yet anyway. We'd be basically replacing Theis with Capela. That's a significant upgrade to say the least.

Most of our losses stemmed from the bench failing to provide firepower when our starters arent scoring, and not because we were destroyed inside.
If you ask me, most of our losses stemmed from the fact that we resemble a hospital rather than a basketball team. :P

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
There won't be a 3-man rotation come playoff time. Timelord-Poirier aren't good enough. Not yet anyway. We'd be basically replacing Theis with Capela. That's a significant upgrade to say the least.

Most of our losses stemmed from the bench failing to provide firepower when our starters arent scoring, and not because we were destroyed inside.
If you ask me, most of our losses stemmed from the fact that we resemble a hospital rather than a basketball team. :P

****. The casting crew last game said Stevens mentioned that he would like Williams back for his 3 man rotation for the playoffs. You clearly are talking out of your behind.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

****. The casting crew last game said Stevens mentioned that he would like Williams back for his 3 man rotation for the playoffs. You clearly are talking out of your behind.
What would you expect him to say? It's only logical that he speaks highly of his players.

Depth is important in the regular season, but it means way less in the post season. It's usual for teams to go with an 8-man rotation. The idea is to use your best players as much as possible. I really don't think R. Williams will be part of the rotation come playoff time (unless of course we face injury problems).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:40:19 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I like Wiiliams to be a better player eventually , especially in the CBS system  .  The question is will / can his body ever allow his brain to rule the day ...stay on the court ?

I rather not spend assets on Capela , if Time lord can ever stay on the court.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just don't understand the love affair for Capela or why he's considered that much of an upgrade over Theis.

Theis has been balling this season and really improving over the last month.  He's no slouch and seems to be really underrated by the "I want a big center" crowd.  He has the ability to hit 3's which extends the D and opens lanes for our wings and guards to drive to the basket.   

Capela doesn't offer that.  in fact, he'd clog the lane on offense or Brad would have him standing out by the 3 line basically useless.  He's not Kanter around the basket where you can feed him in the post and he can go to work nor is he as deadly finishing around the basket on offensive rebounds. 

I'll go along with Capela being a better defender and rebounder than Theis but as far as their overall games, I don't think Capela offers enough of an upgrade to ship out 2-3 good assets to get him -- especially if one of those assets had to be Theis or Kanter.  As has been mentioned, the biggest obstacle to the C's when they're struggling is having someone off the bench that can score -- particularly when the starters are laying bricks.  I'm hoping that next year, Langford and possibly Edwards and Waters can be those guys.  I just don't see the need to add another Center that is a slight upgrade over who we already have and would not address the primary problem faced by this team

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I just don't understand the love affair for Capela or why he's considered that much of an upgrade over Theis.

Theis has been balling this season and really improving over the last month.  He's no slouch and seems to be really underrated by the "I want a big center" crowd.  He has the ability to hit 3's which extends the D and opens lanes for our wings and guards to drive to the basket.   

Capela doesn't offer that.  in fact, he'd clog the lane on offense or Brad would have him standing out by the 3 line basically useless.  He's not Kanter around the basket where you can feed him in the post and he can go to work nor is he as deadly finishing around the basket on offensive rebounds. 

I'll go along with Capela being a better defender and rebounder than Theis but as far as their overall games, I don't think Capela offers enough of an upgrade to ship out 2-3 good assets to get him -- especially if one of those assets had to be Theis or Kanter.  As has been mentioned, the biggest obstacle to the C's when they're struggling is having someone off the bench that can score -- particularly when the starters are laying bricks.  I'm hoping that next year, Langford and possibly Edwards and Waters can be those guys.  I just don't see the need to add another Center that is a slight upgrade over who we already have and would not address the primary problem faced by this team
TP for the sensible post. I'd like to add that Capela gets run off the floor pretty badly when opposing teams play 5 out offences (see Golden State the past few years) while Theis is versatile enough to hang with those offences. I don't see much of a defensive upgrade (if at all) with Capela when our defensive system depends on a mobile centre who can defend in space well.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA