Author Topic: Possible Way to Get KAT Without Upsetting Hayward/Stevens  (Read 3597 times)

Possible Way to Get KAT Without Upsetting Hayward/Stevens
« on: February 02, 2020, 05:13:15 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
KAT surely wants out and could be the piece that gets us past the Bucks and Lakers/Clippers. It will require moving Hayward’s salary, though, so how do we move him without upsetting him such that it upsets Stevens? Add the Jazz to make it a three-team trade, so Hayward gets to return to his first NBA home (in a city his family reportedly enjoyed living in):

Celtics receive:

KAT

Jazz receive:

Hayward
Napier
(4) 2nd round picks from the Celtics

Timberwolves receive:

Conley
Grant Williams (his stock is high after last night)
(3) 1st round picks from the Celtics

https://tradenba.com/trades/X2kDsBzM0
Our core is complete: Tatum, Brown, KAT, and Smart for the next ten years with Kemba at PG however long his career lasts. Build our bench with resurrection projects by CBS, future draft picks, Euro gems like Tice, etc.

Another option would be waiting until the off-season to trade Jaylen, Williams, filler and picks for KAT while retaining Hayward instead. Obviously my preference would be the above, but I do see that as a move that gets us to a championship level too. Going to be difficult to get past Giannis without someone elite at PF/C.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:21:31 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Possible Way to Get KAT Without Upsetting Hayward/Stevens
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:17:35 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
KAT is not getting traded for 3 late firsts. Grant may turn into a nice role player, and Conley may still be decent, but you don’t trade legit superstars for that.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
This is the first non-ridiculous Hayward trade yet.

I think the Jazz might say no tho. Also, Minny will want guaranteed lottery picks, not mid/late firsts.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Possible Way to Get KAT Without Upsetting Hayward/Stevens look
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
KAT is not getting traded for 3 late firsts. Grant may turn into a nice role player, and Conley may still be decent, but you don’t trade legit superstars for that.

Probably right. Sadly, my dream of Tatum, Brown and KAT probably has no chance. We’ll probably have to give up Brown in the offseason in order to get KAT. So long as we keep Kemba, Tatum and Smart, especially if we can retain Hayward, that’s still one heck of a core the next 3-4 years.

BTW, I think G. Williams may become elite. He showed flashes of brilliance last night when you consider this is his rookie campaign. If Minnesota agreed, that’s probably the only way this happens.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I laughed out loud at “his stock is high after last night”

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

His stat line is not reflective of the hustle and skills he displayed last night. Anybody who watched the game can see how Williams may  become a Marcus Smart-esque gem in the future.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Ditto.  I’m a big Grant fan, but the thought that anyone would be willing to trade a superstar on account of seeing him play 19 minutes in a single game is, as you determined, laughable.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:55:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
KAT surely wants out and could be the piece that gets us past the Bucks and Lakers/Clippers. It will require moving Hayward’s salary, though, so how do we move him without upsetting him such that it upsets Stevens? Add the Jazz to make it a three-team trade, so Hayward gets to return to his first NBA home (in a city his family reportedly enjoyed living in):

Celtics receive:

KAT

Jazz receive:

Hayward
Napier
(4) 2nd round picks from the Celtics

Timberwolves receive:

Conley
Grant Williams (his stock is high after last night)
(3) 1st round picks from the Celtics

https://tradenba.com/trades/X2kDsBzM0
Our core is complete: Tatum, Brown, KAT, and Smart for the next ten years with Kemba at PG however long his career lasts. Build our bench with resurrection projects by CBS, future draft picks, Euro gems like Tice, etc.

Another option would be waiting until the off-season to trade Jaylen, Williams, filler and picks for KAT while retaining Hayward instead. Obviously my preference would be the above, but I do see that as a move that gets us to a championship level too. Going to be difficult to get past Giannis without someone elite at PF/C.
Sounds like a plan. I want Luka as well. Maybe we send Dallas Semi + fillers. Semi's stock is high after last night. :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:06:23 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:56:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Awful trade for Minny. Conley has been garbage this year.

Also not sure about KAT. His offensive prowess is undeniable, but his team is garbage and he is not a good team defender at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 05:57:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I can't emphasize enough that I really don't want to trade Hayward, but as a thought exercise...

My favorite idea is a three-team trade with the Nuggets and Wolves.

Boston receives: KAT, Beasley
Denver receives: Hayward, Covington
Wolves receive: Milsap, Porter Jr., Robert Williams, Langford, 2020 Memphis pick, 2020 Celtics pick, 2022 Celtics pick

Wolves get three exciting, high upside prospects and a host of future pics to pair with Culver and Wiggins moving forward. Their coach can form the team's fundamentals with them as young players and build the Wolves from the ground up.

Denver gets much, much better. Hayward would play off of Jokic so, so very well. Covington spreads the floor and gives them a rangy defender to go against Leonard, George, and James. Jokic-Grant-Hayward-Covington-Murray with Barton, Harris, and Plumlee is a really, really good top 8.

Celtics get KAT. Beasley is a good rotation guy depending on what kind of contract he thinks he deserves in the off-season. Kat-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Walker with Theis, Kanter, Williams, Beasley, Wanamaker is a good top 10. Ideally, they could get one more veteran for playoff minutes like Andre Igoudala.

This also is a good move for Hayward, sending him to a contending team in the west where he can thrive and where he will likely get a max extension offer (Denver does that with their players).

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 06:12:13 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
KAT has to be intrigued by what the move to the Celtics did for Kemba. He also must want to top the big men who are regarded more highly than him, all of whom are top Celtics rivals right now: Giannis, Embiiid and, of course, the Lakers’ AD. (On reflection, Jokic is better than KAT, too, and probably Gobbert overall).

If KAT demanded to be traded to the Celtics, maybe we somehow fleece the T-wolves? Can KG call KAT to get the ball rolling? LOL

I firmly believe KAT can improve his defensive abilities with the right coaching. He’s the dominant big man that, paired with Tatum and Kemba, makes us top championship contenders for years. The other big men referenced in the first paragraph have virtually no chance of landing here (although it would be hilarious to see AD switch from Lakers to Celtics in free agency if LeBron melts down, AD decides he’ll never be regarded as a Laker great on par with Kobe because of LeBron, etc.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:17:49 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
KAT has to be intrigued by what the move to the Celtics did for Kemba. He also must want to top the big men who are regarded more highly than him, all of whom are top Celtics rivals right now: Giannis, Embiiid and, of course, the Lakers’ AD.

If KAT demanded to be traded to the Celtics, maybe we somehow fleece the T-wolves? Can KG call KAT to get the ball rolling? LOL

I firmly believe KAT can improve his defensive abilities with the right coaching. He’s the dominant big man that, paired with Tatum and Kemba, makes us top championship contenders for years.
Considering how long his contract is, KAT has no leverage to force a trade to anywhere in particular. He’d simply go to the highest bidder, which would probably not be us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
KAT has to be intrigued by what the move to the Celtics did for Kemba. He also must want to top the big men who are regarded more highly than him, all of whom are top Celtics rivals right now: Giannis, Embiiid and, of course, the Lakers’ AD.

I firmly believe KAT can improve his defensive abilities with the right coaching. He’s the dominant big man that, paired with Tatum and Kemba, makes us top championship contenders for years.
Considering how long his contract is, KAT has no leverage to force a trade to anywhere in particular. He’d simply go to the highest bidder, which would probably not be us

Come the off-season, could we possibly become the highest bidder by offering Jaylen and his long contract as part of the deal? I would almost prefer sticking with Jaylen and Tatum, but not if we need a big to truly win a championship. Then again, the Warriors dominated without a true big, so maybe I need to be more open-minded (I was one of the idiots advocating for changing Brown for peanuts last summer, so I can be very wrong at times).

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 06:20:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I can't emphasize enough that I really don't want to trade Hayward, but as a thought exercise...

Wolves receive: Milsap, Porter Jr., Robert Williams, Langford, 2020 Memphis pick, 2020 Celtics pick, 2022 Celtics pick

Wolves get three exciting, high upside prospects and a host of future pics to pair with Culver and Wiggins moving forward. Their coach can form the team's fundamentals with them as young players and build the Wolves from the ground up.

Denver gets much, much better. Hayward would play off of Jokic so, so very well. Covington spreads the floor and gives them a rangy defender to go against Leonard, George, and James. Jokic-Grant-Hayward-Covington-Murray with Barton, Harris, and Plumlee is a really, really good top 8.

Celtics get KAT. Beasley is a good rotation guy depending on what kind of contract he thinks he deserves in the off-season. Kat-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Walker with Theis, Kanter, Williams, Beasley, Wanamaker is a good top 10. Ideally, they could get one more veteran for playoff minutes like Andre Igoudala.

This also is a good move for Hayward, sending him to a contending team in the west where he can thrive and where he will likely get a max extension offer (Denver does that with their players).

TP for a well thought out idea.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
 :angel:

TP for a well thought out idea.

I love this, too. My only reservation with trading Hayward anywhere but the Jazz is the prospect of that upsetting CBS to such an extent that he leaves the Celtics when his contract is up (e.g., the Lakers would be willing to throw all of the money in the world at him).