Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76827 times)

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think I'd rather go fo a beverly or a rubio and spend more on a center like vuc, adams, capella, cousins, etc.  I think a goal of the top defensive team is alot more likely to go far in the playoffs and have good chemistry than scoring first players who get unhappy if they don't get enough touches.

« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Danny is not just going to add Kemba and no frontline guy. He will get them both somehow.

Exactly, which I why I'm in favor of signing Kemba.  Ainge wont make the signing without a solid plan for the front court.

So who can we get if we sign Kemba?  There are also rumors that we are looking to trade for Steve Adams, so could we do that without giving up much?  Supposedly OKC is looking for a salary dump and ownership has said they would be willing to go over the cap and pay the tax.

I'm thinking if we could we'd look something like:

PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jason Tatum
PF: Grant Williams  (given all the hype hes been getting on this board maybe he should start)
C: Steve Adams

Bench

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Romeo Langford
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Robert Williams
C: Vincent Poirier (French Euro league Big we've been linked to)

Back end of the bench towel swingers

Carson Edwards
Tacko Fall
Aaron Harrison

I think Smart starts, no question. The Draymond Green type intangibles need to be on the floor at all times. He’s too valuable, and even more so if you have an offensive firepower next to him like Walker.

I truly believe that Brown is on the chopping block.  Too much of a logjam at that position and they know full well that the front court needs more talent.

I think Ainge gets someone who isn’t even being talked about on this board. Who will it be ? It’s wide open. Who knows.

« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Danny is not just going to add Kemba and no frontline guy. He will get them both somehow.

Exactly, which I why I'm in favor of signing Kemba.  Ainge wont make the signing without a solid plan for the front court.

So who can we get if we sign Kemba?  There are also rumors that we are looking to trade for Steve Adams, so could we do that without giving up much?  Supposedly OKC is looking for a salary dump and ownership has said they would be willing to go over the cap and pay the tax.

PF: Grant Williams  (given all the hype hes been getting on this board maybe he should start)

Bench

Carson Edwards
Tacko Fall
Aaron Harrison

I think Smart starts, no question. The Draymond Green type intangibles need to be on the floor at all times. He’s too valuable, and even more so if you have an offensive firepower next to him like Walker.

I truly believe that Brown is on the chopping block.  Too much of a logjam at that position and they know full well that the front court needs more talent.

I think Ainge gets someone who isn’t even being talked about on this board. Who will it be ? It’s wide open. Who knows.

there are only a couple of centers in the league that allow for a SF to be fulltime PF.

Adams is one.

so you would look at

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Adams

bench of
Edwards
Langford
Hayward
Williams
Williams

« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I'd much prefer Cousins than any other free agent available.  By far the highest upside and greatest need on the team.
since his injury his defense has dropped significantly. particularly in trying to defend the pick and roll and perimeter. and in the nba today those are important skills.

last season his 3 point shooting dropped significantly, though that may be a one-season fluke.

i trust ainge if he signs him, but i am not sure he is the best option out there.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd much prefer Cousins than any other free agent available.  By far the highest upside and greatest need on the team.

He plays the game the right way. That excites me.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If we sign Kemba then I hope we end up trading Brown for a legit big like a Capella or Adams or Drummond or something who can cover up Tatum’s weak rebounding. Do we still have MLE if we have cap space? I haven’t checked any salaries but assuming it’s someone like Adams, then we’d have

Kemba-Smart-Hayward-Tatum-Adams

That’s a fairly strong team imo. We have one star prospect in Tatum instead of 2 so we know the future of our franchise. We have current stars both mature enough to sacrifice in Walker and Hayward. And we have amazing, nitty gritty role players that every contender needs in Smart and Adams.
- LilRip

« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Bench

Carson Edwards
Tacko Fall
Aaron Harrison

That team is impossible as it can't acquire Adams in a salary dump after it uses the cap space to sign Walker.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I’d be pretty happy with a Cousins signing too (assuming for a fair price). His stint in GSW convinced me he’s not a locker room cancer.
- LilRip

« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
This is where I wish we had that full MLE available. Imagine if we could sign Kemba to the max, then offer Cousins that full MLE (close to 10M AAV) and then maybe just sign another cheap depth big.

Cousins would also see that as an opportunity since he'd obviously get good minutes here and he can really rebuild his value too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I’d be pretty happy with a Cousins signing too (assuming for a fair price). His stint in GSW convinced me he’s not a locker room cancer.
Yes, he is not a bad guy, just a crater on defense.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2019, 11:54:06 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No thanks on Walker.  He takes up too much cap space and our backcourt is fine.

I think I'd rather go for a beverly or a rubio and spend more on a center like vuc, adams, capella, cousins, etc.  I think a goal of the top defensive team is alot more likely to go far in the playoffs and have good chemistry than scoring first players who get unhappy if they don't get enough touches.
TP for that thought.  Bevery or Rubio would only be if Rozier is out, which is far from decided at this point.

Need a big man, maybe two.

« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Bench

Carson Edwards
Tacko Fall
Aaron Harrison

there are only a couple of centers in the league that allow for a SF to be fulltime PF.

Adams is one.

so you would look at

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Adams

bench of
Edwards
Langford
Hayward
Williams
Williams

Silky, that team looks very nice. TP. I'd love it if this is where we land.

« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2019, 12:01:24 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
It's interesting that Ainge is "linked" to walker discussions.

If Ainge wants him, I take it seriously.

Anyway, I am still grumpy after a season with a volume shooting point guard. I suppose, because it didn't work at all.  With Walker it might work really well and thus, I remain on the fence. Have to be happy get him as NBA teams need points.

Interested that Ainge, an Auerbach disciple, would again, go spend a ton of money on a point guard. I saw the reason for taking Irving from the Cavs and accepting the risk.

Wondering about front court and lack of same. In the playoffs, point guards can and do get shut down. This year's playoffs showed us a few examples of this phenomena.

I'll pass on Walker for now, but, Ainge doesn't return my texts and how could a Celtic fan not be happy to get a great scorer.

« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm gonna be honest, I think there is a functionally zero percent chance Kemba comes here. If he want the most money, he goes to Charlotte. If he wants to go home or be the guy maybe the Knicks. If he wants a title or yo be part of history the Lakers. If he wants to join an up and comer he can go to Dallas.

The argument for Boston is they have young talent, and he is a good fit. But he be joining a team that got stomped in the second round WITH Horford. I just dont see why he'd choose Boston, I get why he would listen but I can't see it.

Now of course I'm not Kemba Walker, so who knows. But I think this is one if those things where ya, Boston is interested. But its gonna be the classic "Boston was soooooo close."