Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 200035 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #1650 on: March 11, 2018, 11:27:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hey, alright, the Not-Cavs won tonight against the Cavs!

« Reply #1651 on: March 11, 2018, 11:46:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Randle went batty tonight, but IT was right behind him at +18.  Do you like apples, LBJ?

They can't taste good this evenjng

« Reply #1652 on: March 11, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Cavs are really not very good. Lebron and the pips at this point

Even though I hate them, the Lakeshow's energy and youth make them a very fun team to watch. Even if they don't get Lebron/PG13 next season, they should be in the playoff mix. That is of course if they keep the guys who are going to be free agents.
I really don't think they will. Even if they don't get a max guy or 2 this summer, I think they'll save that space for 2019 and go for it again next year. That's basically what Magic has said they are going to do. I think all or most of IT, Randle, Lopez, and Caldwell Pope are gone next season.

So what's to stop them from giving big one year deals (like what they gave KCP) to those guys sans Randle in case they miss out on those max guys? Lakers are one of the few teams that have cap room to do that. I could also see them re-signing Randle and then just trading him in case a superstar does sign with them. The cap crunch benefits them a lot with restricted free agency and he's been phenomenal for them lately.

I could also see them trading Deng along with the Cavs pick this year to a team like Sacramento for Iman Shumpert and Kosta Koufos to open up even more cap room next season.

The Lakers have a lot of options at their disposal. If it weren't for the Celtics being in a much better position than them going forward, I'd be kinda jealous.
I don't think those guys are looking for 1 year deals. Maybe Lopez, but not Randle, IT, and KCP.

You do know about cap crunch, right? That practically nobody has money this off-season to spend, which hurts every free agent this year that's not a star?

Yes, those guys would prefer not to sign 1 year deals, but their market is pretty tiny because again, hardly anyone in the league has the money to give them what they would want, and the ones that have the cap room won't want to pay top dollar for IT, KCP, or Lopez. The most they can look forward to on the open market is 6-8 million per. The Lakers are one of the few teams that can offer a high salary even if its one year.

And I already said sans Randle, who I think the Lakers should re-sign if they miss out on their primary targets. The cap crunch screws over restricted free agents the most. Randle, despite how well he's played, is no exception.

I think it would be hard not to accept a one-year deal worth 16-20 million in this market. That way, you can prove that you are worth a bigger deal in the future and better teams will probably work to have the open cap room for next season.

« Reply #1653 on: March 12, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I can see the Lakers going 13-3 down the stretch of their remaining games.

43-39 Probably doesn't get them in though. Nuggs, Clips and Jazz would all have to play .500 or worse for that to happen.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #1654 on: March 12, 2018, 12:13:40 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Even though I hate them, the Lakeshow's energy and youth make them a very fun team to watch. Even if they don't get Lebron/PG13 next season, they should be in the playoff mix. That is of course if they keep the guys who are going to be free agents.
I really don't think they will. Even if they don't get a max guy or 2 this summer, I think they'll save that space for 2019 and go for it again next year. That's basically what Magic has said they are going to do. I think all or most of IT, Randle, Lopez, and Caldwell Pope are gone next season.

So what's to stop them from giving big one year deals (like what they gave KCP) to those guys sans Randle in case they miss out on those max guys? Lakers are one of the few teams that have cap room to do that. I could also see them re-signing Randle and then just trading him in case a superstar does sign with them. The cap crunch benefits them a lot with restricted free agency and he's been phenomenal for them lately.

I could also see them trading Deng along with the Cavs pick this year to a team like Sacramento for Iman Shumpert and Kosta Koufos to open up even more cap room next season.

The Lakers have a lot of options at their disposal. If it weren't for the Celtics being in a much better position than them going forward, I'd be kinda jealous.
I don't think those guys are looking for 1 year deals. Maybe Lopez, but not Randle, IT, and KCP.

You do know about cap crunch, right? That practically nobody has money this off-season to spend, which hurts every free agent this year that's not a star?

Yes, those guys would prefer not to sign 1 year deals, but their market is pretty tiny because again, hardly anyone in the league has the money to give them what they would want, and the ones that have the cap room won't want to pay top dollar for IT, KCP, or Lopez. The most they can look forward to on the open market is 6-8 million per. The Lakers are one of the few teams that can offer a high salary even if its one year.

And I already said sans Randle, who I think the Lakers should re-sign if they miss out on their primary targets. The cap crunch screws over restricted free agents the most. Randle, despite how well he's played, is no exception.

I think it would be hard not to accept a one-year deal worth 16-20 million in this market. That way, you can prove that you are worth a bigger deal in the future and better teams will probably work to have the open cap room for next season.
There are plenty of teams with money to spend. IT, KCP, and Randle will all have a market, plus the Lakers are going to be busy going after Lebron and Paul George. If the Lakers miss out, they will probably sign a couple guys of 1 year, high money deals, but it won't be with those guys.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #1655 on: March 12, 2018, 12:14:36 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Are the Lakers finally becoming relevant again? The Celtics/Lakers rivalry about to heat up once more, step aside wannabes aka Warriors/Rockets/OKC/Pelicans/Blazers/Wolves  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1656 on: March 12, 2018, 12:34:48 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

There are plenty of teams with money to spend. IT, KCP, and Randle will all have a market, plus the Lakers are going to be busy going after Lebron and Paul George. If the Lakers miss out, they will probably sign a couple guys of 1 year, high money deals, but it won't be with those guys.

No, there aren't. Read this.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22263630/nba-financial-crunch-coming

"With half the league in the tax or in danger of going into the tax, many teams won't spend the full $8.8 million and instead will opt for the "taxpayer midlevel" of $5.4 million."

The only teams that will have significant cap room are Atlanta, Brooklyn, Chicago, Dallas, Lakers, Philly, and Phoenix. I anticipate Indiana will also be in the mix when they opt out of Al Jefferson's contract and will possibly do the same with Lance Stephenson.

Only Philly, LA, and Indiana are teams that should be players in free agency. The others are rebuilding, so they won't spend money on any of the Lakers free agents because they'll get in the way.

I'm not saying those guys don't deserve long-term contracts worth 10-15 million per. I'm just saying it won't happen. Would you rather sign a 2-3 year deal worth 5 million per or sign a 1 year deal worth 15-20 million and get more money when everyone else in the league has the cap room to hand out large contracts?

« Reply #1657 on: March 12, 2018, 01:26:15 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

"With half the league in the tax or in danger of going into the tax, many teams won't spend the full $8.8 million and instead will opt for the "taxpayer midlevel" of $5.4 million."

The only teams that will have significant cap room are Atlanta, Brooklyn, Chicago, Dallas, Lakers, Philly, and Phoenix. I anticipate Indiana will also be in the mix when they opt out of Al Jefferson's contract and will possibly do the same with Lance Stephenson.

Only Philly, LA, and Indiana are teams that should be players in free agency. The others are rebuilding, so they won't spend money on any of the Lakers free agents because they'll get in the way.

I'm not saying those guys don't deserve long-term contracts worth 10-15 million per. I'm just saying it won't happen. Would you rather sign a 2-3 year deal worth 5 million per or sign a 1 year deal worth 15-20 million and get more money when everyone else in the league has the cap room to hand out large contracts?
That's several teams. Not only is it possible, but I would expect those bottom teams to chase guys like IT and Randle and give them solid deals. That's exactly what I would expect from a bad team who has money to spend, but can't attract a star.

« Reply #1658 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:03 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

That's several teams. Not only is it possible, but I would expect those bottom teams to chase guys like IT and Randle and give them solid deals. That's exactly what I would expect from a bad team who has money to spend, but can't attract a star.

So.... the league's bottom dwellers want to use their cap room on guys who are just going to make them mediocre at best? That makes no sense. If you can't lure a star via free agency, then the better strategy would be to try to find one in the draft lottery by tanking. Adding a guy like IT or Randle only gets in the way of that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:59:53 AM by MJohnnyboy »

« Reply #1659 on: March 12, 2018, 04:29:00 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

So.... the league's bottom dwellers want to use their cap room on guys who are just going to make them mediocre at best? That makes no sense. If you can't lure a star via free agency, then the better strategy would be to try to find one in the draft lottery by tanking. Adding a guy like IT or Randle only gets in the way of that.
And yet, every year we see that happen. We can just wait until the offseason and then you'll be proven wrong. What else are those bottom teams going to spend their money on?

« Reply #1660 on: March 12, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

And yet, every year we see that happen. We can just wait until the offseason and then you'll be proven wrong. What else are those bottom teams going to spend their money on?

Still got to sell tickets. Like we did in IT's career season. Teams will want that. He could get a short deal for more than mid level, but 1-2 years only. Nobody's committing their future cap to IT.

« Reply #1661 on: March 12, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

I look forward to being proven wrong when bad teams splurge on rotation players, and I'm looking forward to being proven right when that turns out to be the worst strategy in running a franchise. Orlando stupidly invested in the wrong guys and look where it got them.

To answer your question, instead of splurging on guys who only get in the way of re-building, it's more likely that bad teams with cap space will absorb bad contracts from another team looking to avoid the tax as long as they get first rounders back. Philly did that for years, and it helped them stay bad. Now their patience is beginning to pay off. Teams will see that and incorporate the same strategy.

« Reply #1662 on: March 12, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

I look forward to being proven wrong when bad teams splurge on rotation players, and I'm looking forward to being proven right when that turns out to be the worst strategy in running a franchise. Orlando stupidly invested in the wrong guys and look where it got them.

To answer your question, instead of splurging on guys who only get in the way of re-building, it's more likely that bad teams with cap space will absorb bad contracts from another team looking to avoid the tax as long as they get first rounders back. Philly did that for years, and it helped them stay bad. Now their patience is beginning to pay off. Teams will see that and incorporate the same strategy.
Ok, so you agree with me. And I never said it was a good idea. I just said it's what always happens. Bad teams will chase those free agents with their money because they don't have anything else to spend it on. But that doesn't mean I think it's a good move, it just means the Lakers won't be able to bring all those guys back on 1 year deals.

« Reply #1663 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Ok, so you agree with me. And I never said it was a good idea. I just said it's what always happens. Bad teams will chase those free agents with their money because they don't have anything else to spend it on. But that doesn't mean I think it's a good move, it just means the Lakers won't be able to bring all those guys back on 1 year deals.

It's not that I necessarily agree with you. It's that even if they prove me wrong, they're proving that they're stupid if they do.

Here's the thing, the franchises that are both tanking and have money to spend aren't as stupid as New York and Sacramento. Those teams splurged on guys that they didn't need to spend excess money on last summer, but neither team has cap room this summer. The teams that do have cap room I believe won't be as careless.

As I alluded to earlier, I think it's more likely that they'll take on bad contracts so they can absorb picks while tanking in the near future. I believe this because that's what Philly did and it looks like it's working out. Giving long-term money to any of those Lakers free agents only hurts their tanking game and I think they know that, but I don't speak for them.

We'll just have to see.

« Reply #1664 on: March 13, 2018, 12:27:39 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Spurs are washed-up. They're done. Get blown out by Rockets tonight, fall to #10 seed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)