Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 167356 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #465 on: August 31, 2021, 05:42:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vYrgEXcbvds

Please let this one live up to its potential.
Pretty bold. Could be a lot of fun. Anyone in their 30's right now who watched those Raimi Spider-man movies (like me) is probably feeling a little more excited than they/I want to admit.

I have trouble keeping up with what's going on with the Marvel movies, but I watched this trailer with no prior knowledge and the Alfred Molina Doc Ock (and that was Willem Dafoe's voice, right?) got me big time. Just watched the Raimi films with my kids like month ago so they'll be excited for this too.
It was indeed those villains from the Raimi films. We will also be getting an appearance from prior Spider-Men
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #466 on: September 07, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Pretty bold. Could be a lot of fun. Anyone in their 30's right now who watched those Raimi Spider-man movies (like me) is probably feeling a little more excited than they/I want to admit.

I have trouble keeping up with what's going on with the Marvel movies, but I watched this trailer with no prior knowledge and the Alfred Molina Doc Ock (and that was Willem Dafoe's voice, right?) got me big time. Just watched the Raimi films with my kids like month ago so they'll be excited for this too.
It was indeed those villains from the Raimi films. We will also be getting an appearance from prior Spider-Men
Someone going to let Tobey Maguire out of movie jail?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #467 on: September 07, 2021, 08:18:33 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I liked Shang-Chi. It don’t generally like comic book movies . I liked the Snyder ones because they were very different. But wow, did that make people legit mad and / or nasty. I had dorks in two separate occasions coming out of a Dunkin donuts make fun of a tee shirt I was wearing to support the release of “ the Snyder cut”. Strangers. Weirdos. It reminded me a lot of Red Sox fans who loved making fun of the Celts for years . No sense at all. Don’t get it.

« Reply #468 on: September 07, 2021, 08:25:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

That is one of the things that has so much speculation.  There are rumors that both Maguire and Garfield are in it because their villains are (Jamie Foxx is back as Electro from the Garfield movies, along with Molina and supposedly Dafoe from the Maguire ones).  I would imagine there will be a bunch of surprises and all sorts of appearances (perhaps all the aunt may's, MJ's, stacy's, etc.), wouldn't shock me if they had Miles Morales make an appearance as well (the Spiderman from the animated movies making a live action appearance).   

There are so many ways they could take a multiverse story, I just can't wait for this movie. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #469 on: September 07, 2021, 10:05:06 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

That is one of the things that has so much speculation.  There are rumors that both Maguire and Garfield are in it because their villains are (Jamie Foxx is back as Electro from the Garfield movies, along with Molina and supposedly Dafoe from the Maguire ones).  I would imagine there will be a bunch of surprises and all sorts of appearances (perhaps all the aunt may's, MJ's, stacy's, etc.), wouldn't shock me if they had Miles Morales make an appearance as well (the Spiderman from the animated movies making a live action appearance).   

There are so many ways they could take a multiverse story, I just can't wait for this movie.

I really liked Into the Spider-verse. This would essentially be the same idea with Miles coming into the Tom Holland universe I guess.

« Reply #470 on: November 11, 2022, 10:10:51 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Saw "Wakanda Forever" last night.

I loved Namor, they really captured his grumpiness quite well.

The action scenes were tight, the cinematography beautiful,  and the soundtrack was excellent.

But this movie is SLOW, way too many extraneous scenes that bog down the pace. And the main character, Shuri, has an unsatisfying arc. We are told that she's full of grief and rage but it doesn't feel earned. She's a bit wooden here, and doesn't deliver the emotional punch the movie needed.

« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The action scenes were tight, the cinematography beautiful,  and the soundtrack was excellent.

But this movie is SLOW, way too many extraneous scenes that bog down the pace. And the main character, Shuri, has an unsatisfying arc. We are told that she's full of grief and rage but it doesn't feel earned. She's a bit wooden here, and doesn't deliver the emotional punch the movie needed.

I think this is a fair assessment.  It’s a long movie that easily could have been edited down.  I think that ideally they would have turned the first 100 minutes or so into a bridge series on Disney+, and then expanded on the rest of it into Black Panther 2.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #472 on: November 11, 2022, 05:03:50 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

I think this is a fair assessment.  It’s a long movie that easily could have been edited down.  I think that ideally they would have turned the first 100 minutes or so into a bridge series on Disney+, and then expanded on the rest of it into Black Panther 2.

Yeah, my friends and I were discussing it last night abd thought it would have made a fine Disney+ series.

Coogler pretty clearly wanted to flesh out the story, and understandably so, but it came at the expense of a more energetic pace.

Lately I'm finding myself more satisfied with the longer-form stories we've been seeing in the various streaming/TV series than in the movies. 2 hours just isn't enough time to do these stories justice.

« Reply #473 on: November 14, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw Black Panther: Wakander Forever on Saturday, and was massively disappointed. Easily in my bottom 5 of the MCU. I will add this with The Eternals as the only MCU movies that I will not buy on blu ray/4K. If you have Disney+ already, I would suggest waiting until it hits streaming.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:32:29 AM by johnnygreen »

« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2022, 01:13:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw Black Adam last weekend.  wasn't bad.   didn't think it was as bad as the critics made it out to be although there was an overkill of Rock glaring in various scenes.   my wife was totally thrown with the whole Shazam thing so that took away from her ability to just get into the story as it was presented

« Reply #475 on: November 14, 2022, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
saw Black Adam last weekend.  wasn't bad.   didn't think it was as bad as the critics made it out to be although there was an overkill of Rock glaring in various scenes.   my wife was totally thrown with the whole Shazam thing so that took away from her ability to just get into the story as it was presented

I had a blast watching Black Adam, and can't wait to get it on 4K.

« Reply #476 on: November 14, 2022, 02:30:56 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Anyone watched New Black Panther movie yet? How was it?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #477 on: November 14, 2022, 06:09:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Felt it was better than the first movie. A good villain, a hero arc, and world building makes it a good watch. Namor was somewhere between Thanos and Killmonger solid performance. Half the cast were absolutely superb. Some say it's long but it had to tell a lot of stories. Only a few things story and acting wise bothered me but I'd overlook them due to the quality as a whole.

4 out of 5 movie.

« Reply #478 on: November 14, 2022, 06:28:38 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
Felt it was better than the first movie. A good villain, a hero arc, and world building makes it a good watch. Namor was somewhere between Thanos and Killmonger solid performance. Half the cast were absolutely superb. Some say it's long but it had to tell a lot of stories. Only a few things story and acting wise bothered me but I'd overlook them due to the quality as a whole.

4 out of 5 movie.
I don't know that I would say it was better than the first movie but I pretty much agree with the rest of your thoughts.

I get why people say it was a bit long and that many parts could have been a Disney+ show and that but really that was just not an option. This was always going to be a sequel and with the untimely passing of Chadwick Boseman they had a lot to try to accomplish in one movie.

I will add that I thought they did a great job honoring Chadwick Boseman from the opening Marvel credits to the scene where Shuri flashed back to memories of him. It was really well done.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #479 on: November 14, 2022, 06:31:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

4 out of 5 movie.

What did you find lacking about the original?  The first Black Panther was easily one of my favorite Marvel movies.  As noted above, I thought there was a lot of good stuff in the sequel, but I didn’t think it worked well as a self-contained movie arc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes