Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 167493 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #435 on: August 06, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Like both He-Man & New Suicide Squad..didn’t love it but it was good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #436 on: August 08, 2021, 12:51:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I enjoyed this Suicide Squad a lot more than the prior one.  I do like the portrayal of Harley through all the movies (yes even Birds of Prey).  Glad to see Starro make the big screen.  I also liked all of the stars that had small roles in the movie.  That was pretty fun.  The cameo by Pom Klementieff was a nice touch tying Gunn's other big franchise into this one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #437 on: August 08, 2021, 01:25:13 AM »

Kiorrik

I enjoyed this Suicide Squad a lot more than the prior one.  I do like the portrayal of Harley through all the movies (yes even Birds of Prey).  Glad to see Starro make the big screen.  I also liked all of the stars that had small roles in the movie.  That was pretty fun.  The cameo by Pom Klementieff was a nice touch tying Gunn's other big franchise into this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I

^ SUPERB video about why the editing in the original Suicide Squad is so terrible.

Explains it ridiculously well.

« Reply #438 on: August 08, 2021, 03:50:27 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Question for those of you who follow the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm up to date up to Avengers Endgame (I guess end of Phase 3?). Apparently the next series/films I need to watch in chronological order are:

WandaVision
Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Loki

Then the first film in the Phase 4 which is Black Widow. Question is, if I go straight to Black Widow and miss the 3 TV series will I ruin the viewing experience for myself or miss out on key details of the plot?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #439 on: August 08, 2021, 04:18:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Question for those of you who follow the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm up to date up to Avengers Endgame (I guess end of Phase 3?). Apparently the next series/films I need to watch in chronological order are:

WandaVision
Loki

Then the first film in the Phase 4 which is Black Widow. Question is, if I go straight to Black Widow and miss the 3 TV series will I ruin the viewing experience for myself or miss out on key details of the plot?

Nope.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #440 on: August 08, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

WandaVision
Loki

Nope.
Yeah Black Widow is set earlier in time, though does start setting up a villain for later movies.  And I don't think it matters at all which order you watch the 3 Marvel shows on Disney + as nothing happens in any that relates to the others (they all set up various movie points going forward though).

« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2021, 12:39:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

WandaVision
Loki

Nope.
Yeah Black Widow is set earlier in time, though does start setting up a villain for later movies.  And I don't think it matters at all which order you watch the 3 Marvel shows on Disney + as nothing happens in any that relates to the others (they all set up various movie points going forward though).

What was your opinion of the three?  I liked Loki and WandaVision a lot, although the latter might turn some folks off.  I thought the production of Falcon / Winter Soldier was lesser.  It still wasn’t terrible and had some high points, but I saw it closer to Agents of Shield than I did “prestige television”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #442 on: August 08, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Like WandaVision & Falcon but didn’t like Loki..boring
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #443 on: August 08, 2021, 06:50:55 PM »

Kiorrik

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier series was weird. Just all-round weird.

They had to gut the series. The main plotline was originally that the Flagsmashers were trying to infect and kill half the world. It's why the final scene suddenly has that gas outta nowhere. They obviously cut it out due to Covid. Wish they'd let it in. Especially due to Covid.

It had a couple good moments, I thought. But in general suffered from generic/boring villains, and perhaps they could've played around more with the whole ambiguity around US Agent.

I think Wandavision could've been better if they'd leaned in to the premise more. Art direction was okay, would've been perfect if they'd mimicked the time-periods better - everything being 4k quality nowadays drops a lot of the "feel" of the oldschool series. They could've artificially dropped the quality to make that look far more period-accurate, which I think would've contributed greatly to it. Apart from that, I would've liked to see less (none) of the real world in between the Wandavision episodes, and more "glitches" and weird stuff happening during the TV episodes.

I think my main dig against most of these series is that they're just not on the same budget as the movies. Which is kind of a dumb issue, since that's just 99% expectation management on my side.

I think I wanted it to be more weird and creepy. More ... Hitchcock/King. More Outer Limits.

However, I thought Loki was really good. Could've been slightly more clever, but overall really well acted as well as having some real, real cool character development. Going into the series I wasn't a huge fan of Tom Hiddleston but I'm getting on board now. Also, I really loved the implications of the final episode, once it was all wrapped up.

Loki, as a setup/lead-in to the movies is kinda superb. Hope the baddie ends up dictating all of Phase 4. He's not only potentially Thanos levels of cool; he's also got potentially by far the most story development of all time.

That's also the part I want to see leveraged even more. The fact that "it all ties together". Allows for some insane set-up and pay-off stuff.

Black Widow was the most mediocre/forgettable movie I've seen in the MCU since probably the original Antman, only Antman at least was the first time meeting that character. Black Widow was just throw-away. Did dig her sister. She was kinda cool.

As for the future:
 - HELLA keen for Moon Knight, love Oscar Isaac as the main lad (Moon Knight the character is kinda a mix between Deadpool and Batman)
 - Ironheart (Riri Williams!) has a lot to live up to, sort of 'taking the torch' from Robert Downey Jr
 - She-Hulk is kinda a blank sheet for me, not expecting anything, feels a bit Iron-Fist-ey (probs gonna be mediocre)
 - Thor: Love & Thunder might be fun, kinda keen to see what kinda vibe it'll have, how weird it'll get
 - I love Benedict, am keen to see what the new Dr Strange will bring. Hope it gets WEIRD

The other announced stuff falls into two camps for me;
 - Movies with all new casts that have the potential to be fun, but are unknowns atm
 - Movies with known characters where I'm expecting "more of the same", which doesn't interest me too much
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 07:06:14 PM by Kiorrik »

« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2021, 06:57:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
- I love Benedict, am keen to see what the new Dr Strange will bring. Hope it gets WEIRD

It be plenty WEIRD from what I read.

« Reply #445 on: August 08, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »

Kiorrik

It be plenty WEIRD from what I read.

Good. I didn't mention it but I'm stoked about the multi-dimensional stuff they can pull.

There's nothing cooler than seeing 20 different versions of main characters.

(did a bunch of edits to my original post btw :D)

« Reply #446 on: August 08, 2021, 08:19:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

WandaVision
Loki

Nope.

What was your opinion of the three?  I liked Loki and WandaVision a lot, although the latter might turn some folks off.  I thought the production of Falcon / Winter Soldier was lesser.  It still wasn’t terrible and had some high points, but I saw it closer to Agents of Shield than I did “prestige television”.
WandaVision, Loki, then Falcon/Winter Soldier.  I really loved WandaVision once I got past the first few episodes which were just weird.  The back half of the show was fantastic and some of the best tv I've seen in a while period.  Loki had nice solid pacing and was well done all the way throughout.  I liked Sam and Bucky's banter, but thought the action stuff was a bit much.

« Reply #447 on: August 08, 2021, 10:24:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Watched Suicide Squad last night.  I enjoyed it.  It was pretty much a Guardians of the Galaxy type thing but on earth. 
Yup

« Reply #448 on: August 08, 2021, 10:27:26 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Watched Suicide Squad last night.  I enjoyed it.  It was pretty much a Guardians of the Galaxy type thing but on earth.

Hopefully that means better than the first one, which sucked massively.

« Reply #449 on: August 09, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am old enough to remember Superhero movies like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l06G0BYBOg

So grateful for modern special effects and superhero movies they sure as heck beat a guy crawling on the floor to look like a wall