Author Topic: Banners Not Hanging for NCAA's  (Read 3552 times)

Banners Not Hanging for NCAA's
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I heard this on WEEI today.  The NCAA does not allow any NBA stuff at their tournament sanctioned games, so all of the banners and the parquet floor have been removed in favor of a generic NCAA floor and a whole lot of nuthin' for the experience of playing in Boston.

It's very silly I think.  OK, change the floor if you need to have the "sanctity" of your association there for all to behold, but jeez why take the heart out of the venue? 
Yup

Re: Banners Not Hanging for NCAA's
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
stupid....i hate the NCAA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
When I went to the first and second round I remember the banners being gone and all of the concourse stuff being covered up, but I'm pretty sure they kept the floor.  I hate this stupid NCAA floor, going to make it a lot harder to distinguish these games in the coming years.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I agree, pretty silly.  I would think that one of the coolest things for these college guys is coming into a place like Boston and looking up at all the banners; that has to be somewhat awe-inspiring.  I think forcing the team to take down the banners takes something away from that experience.

It's sort of like if they held a baseball tournament at Yankees Stadium, but made them cover up Monument Park before hand.  Stupid.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I agree, pretty silly.  I would think that one of the coolest things for these college guys is coming into a place like Boston and looking up at all the banners; that has to be somewhat awe-inspiring.  I think forcing the team to take down the banners takes something away from that experience.

It's sort of like if they held a baseball tournament at Yankees Stadium, but made them cover up Monument Park before hand.  Stupid.

They mentioned it might have been cool for Gerald Henderson to play under his Dad's 81 & 84 banners.

And good point Ma...I hadn't thought about that aspect.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
On a happier note the announcers just gave Tommy some major props.
Yup