Author Topic: Radical idea, start 'Sheed, make Pierce all Q4.  (Read 16295 times)

Radical idea, start 'Sheed, make Pierce all Q4.
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I believe that given our roster, it's a waste to use up all of Paul Pierce during the first two quarters.

If we start 'Sheed, at the 3, and then make Pierce, his backup, then we get maximum efficacy. Here's why...

During the first two quarters, 'Sheed will be the *insider* but mostly mid-range shooter for the frontline, allowing Perks and KG to handle more of the rebounding activities beneath the boards while not losing out on what Pierce did as a 3 but without a full time slasher to the rim.

The key here is to bring in Pierce for 4-6 mins, each quarter, till the final one, adding variety to the game but without the sort of bang up game which takes its toll, after the first two quarters of jaw boning/head butting. When the fourth begins, that's when Pierce will play the entire 12 mins w/o break. All and all, save the best for last. Really, the best starting five is the best when Pierce is having his Mr Q4 moments and to save all that charge for the end, while using normal substitutions for the other players, will make this squad virtually unbeatable by even the best teams out there.

Re: Radical idea, start 'Sheed, make Pierce all Q4.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why not just start Daniels instead of Sheed?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
what?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Rasheed had some difficulties on defense last year with fours and fives; I can't imagine him guarding small forwards.

Also, that idea would leave us with only BBD as the primary backup at both power forward and center.

Plus, I think that getting out to a big lead early is beneficial psychologically, both because it bolsters your team and puts the opposing team in a hole.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Why not just start Daniels instead of Sheed?

I can't imagine him guarding small forwards.

Well for one, in the beginning, Daniels won't be delivering the type of scoring threat which 'Sheed imposes upon any team. Next, even if his one-on-one coverage is a bit weaker, the point is that few small forwards will be able to cover him without him drawing 'em out, to create a lane for someone else.

And finally, Pierce will be coming in periodically which will increase, in mins, until the fourth quarter where 'Sheed can backup either Perks or KG full time.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
with only BBD as the primary backup at both power forward and center

Actually, with 'Sheed around, having Perks-Scals or BBD-KG around, as key substitution patterns, won't leave us too exposed.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
with only BBD as the primary backup at both power forward and center

Actually, with 'Sheed around, having Perks-Scals or BBD-KG around, as key substitution patterns, won't leave us too exposed.

So you are either gonna play scal or KG at the Center?  Thats not a good idea at all
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:49 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
play scal or KG at the Center

I think only BBD is center, during the *Pierce fill-ins* w/ 'Sheed, other times, it's all Perkins. For the most part, Scals only plays the 4.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't want to mess with Pierce's role.

This guy is still our best playmaker and better at creating his own shot than anyone else here. Sheed can shoot but he can't create anywhere on the same level as Pierce. You can't sacrafice a skillset like that, IMO.  Also, Pierce is much better equiped to guard the opposing teams' 2s, 3s, and even some 4s when required.  Pierce has too much value to leave him on the bench, even early in the game.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Pierce has too much value to leave him on the bench, even early in the game.

I don't think you get it, a rested Pierce is more dangerous than most teams out there. The reason why he isn't thought of as a *LeBron* is that the guy's never had enough rest, to be that fresh for a closer. In contrast, the rest of the starting four are great teammates and all but they just can't take over a game in the final quarter like Paul can.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I don't think you get it, a rested Pierce is more dangerous than most teams out there. The reason why he isn't thought of as a *LeBron* is that the guy's never had enough rest, to be that fresh for a closer. In contrast, the rest of the starting four are great teammates and all but they just can't take over a game in the final quarter like Paul can.

KG and Ray did it before they got here.  KG led the team in fourth quarter playoff scoring during the championship run.  If anything Sheed is gonna start over KG this year because KG doesnt appear to be 100% yet. 

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

The reason he's not thought of as a *Lebron* is because he's not as good as Lebron.  No one is.  Rest isn't the thing that's separating Pierce from Lebron, its skillset.  Lebron is one of those rare, unique talents.  

Pierce has had a fine time in the past taking over the game in the 4th quarter after playing tons of minutes earlier in the game.  I know he's older but I don't think it takes something as drastic as your plan is going to ensure that he'll have energy in the 4th quarter.  Remember, these guys are professional athletes with superior conditioning for the most part.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
The reason he's not thought of as a *Lebron* is because he's not as good as Lebron.

Perhaps it's that LeBron was crowned... best combination of Magic's passing and Jordan's finishing at the rim, on the day of his election. Let's face it, he was given a franchise promise which was suppose to be *built around him*, from the get-go.

Pierce, on the other foot, was given Pitino, a slophouse of malcontents, and a near death experience, in contrast, during his formative years in the league. And when Shaq named him "the Truth", he was being guided by the Jim O'Brien 3 point party marathoners but was surprisingly, beating up everyone else in the league. This is clearly one of the greatest players with the worst NBA upbringing of any star.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
The reason he's not thought of as a *Lebron* is because he's not as good as Lebron.

Perhaps it's that LeBron was crowned... best combination of Magic's passing and Jordan's finishing at the rim, on the day of his election. Let's face it, he was given a franchise promise which was suppose to be *built around him*, from the get-go.

Pierce, on the other foot, was given Pitino, a slophouse of malcontents, and a near death experience, in contrast, during his formative years in the league. And when Shaq named him "the Truth", he was being guided by the Jim O'Brien 3 point party marathoners but was surprisingly, beating up everyone else in the league. This is clearly one of the greatest players with the worst NBA upbringing of any star.

It has nothing to do with upbringing.  Lebron is simply the better player.  All I have to do is watch the guy play to realize he's one of the special talents to come into this game. 

Pierce is heckuva player but he's not on the same level as Lebron.  I'm a diehard Celtics (and Pierce) fan and even I realize this.