Author Topic: Jontay Porter  (Read 4890 times)

Re: Jontay Porter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 02:20:13 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25048530/missouri-jontay-porter-miss-season-tearing-acl-mcl

Knee problems have been an issue for the Porter siblings in recent years. Bri Porter, Jontay and Michael's sister, retired from basketball before last season at Missouri after suffering her fifth ACL tear. Cierra, another sister who played at Missouri, medically retired in June -- with one year of eligibility left -- because of ongoing knee problems.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 04:02:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25048530/missouri-jontay-porter-miss-season-tearing-acl-mcl

Knee problems have been an issue for the Porter siblings in recent years. Bri Porter, Jontay and Michael's sister, retired from basketball before last season at Missouri after suffering her fifth ACL tear. Cierra, another sister who played at Missouri, medically retired in June -- with one year of eligibility left -- because of ongoing knee problems.
Sadly, their genetics seemingly are not conducive to health. All this physical ability in one family, and all cruelled by injury in one way or another.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 06:30:39 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I like Porter's potential.  He's very skilled.  His problem was that he wasn't in good shape.  He wasn't very muscular and had a high % of body fat. He was young for his year though as he reclassed going to college early to play with his brother.  I think he's an interesting guy to potentially use a pick on if either the Memphis or Clippers pick conveys this year.
Even after tearing his ACL and MCL? I feel as if the MEM pick would be way too high to be gambled on a guy like Porter

Yeah, guys recover from that well now.  We're talking about a late lottery to mid first round pick for a skilled near 7 footer who can shoot.

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I like Porter's potential.  He's very skilled.  His problem was that he wasn't in good shape.  He wasn't very muscular and had a high % of body fat. He was young for his year though as he reclassed going to college early to play with his brother.  I think he's an interesting guy to potentially use a pick on if either the Memphis or Clippers pick conveys this year.
Even after tearing his ACL and MCL? I feel as if the MEM pick would be way too high to be gambled on a guy like Porter

Yeah, guys recover from that well now.  We're talking about a late lottery to mid first round pick for a skilled near 7 footer who can shoot.
They do, but there's still a risk. Before the season kicked off a few people had the Memphis pick around the 9-13 range. I don't think I'd take Porter there if he was healthy ahead of guys like Doumbouya, Gafford, Bassey, Garland or Tre Jones

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 06:45:51 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

They do, but there's still a risk. Before the season kicked off a few people had the Memphis pick around the 9-13 range. I don't think I'd take Porter there if he was healthy ahead of guys like Doumbouya, Gafford, Bassey, Garland or Tre Jones

I'm honestly not familiar with those guys.  The couple of mock drafts I've seen have him in that range and I liked what I saw from Porter last year.   Looking forward to the college season.  With so many potential first round picks, it will be fun to watch.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 06:58:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm honestly not familiar with those guys.  The couple of mock drafts I've seen have him in that range and I liked what I saw from Porter last year.   Looking forward to the college season.  With so many potential first round picks, it will be fun to watch.
Of the guys I listed, I like Doumbouya, Gafford and Bassey the most. Gafford and Bassey are both long big men (both are 6'10"-6'11" with 7'2" or so wingspans), and I liked what I saw from Gafford at Arkansas a bit more than what I saw from Porter.
Doumbouya is a gamble, as the competition he's been up against isn't as elite as the guys Doncic was torching at the same age, but he's a long athletic wing, and is 17 until Christmas or so.
Hopefully the debates are more focused around who we'll take at #2 ;)