Author Topic: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread  (Read 61612 times)

Re: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2023, 03:18:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
Dabo responded to an angry fan the way that I think a lot of these coaches and players want to sometimes  :police:

Amid his worst season in more than a decade, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney lambasted a caller to his radio show on Monday after being asked to defend his team's performance given his status as one of the highest-paid coaches in the country.

"You're part of the problem," Swinney told the caller, who introduced himself only as "Tyler in Spartanburg." "The appreciation, the expectation is greater than the appreciation. That's the problem. We've won 12 10-plus-win seasons in a row. That's happened three times in 150 years. Clemson ain't sniff a national championship for 35 years; we've won two in seven years. And there's only two other teams that can say that: Georgia and Alabama.

"Is this a bad year? Yeah, and it's my responsibility. Take 100 percent responsibility for it. But all this bull crap you're thinking, all these narratives you read. Listen, man, you can have your opinion all you want, and you can apply for the job. And good luck to you."

Monday's tirade was the latest -- and most aggressive -- response from Swinney amid growing criticism of his handling of the Clemson program, which will miss the College Football Playoff for the third straight year after a 4-4 start to the season.

In a radio show appearance two weeks ago, Swinney lamented the Clemson "bandwagon" fans and suggested that a few losses might help get rid of bad fans who have lost an appreciation for winning. The Tigers then lost in overtime to Miami and, last week, by a touchdown to NC State.

Swinney went on Monday to defend his salary, noting that upon his hiring in 2009, he was among the lowest-paid coaches at a major program.

"I started as the lowest-paid coach in this business [and] I worked my ass off," Swinney said. "I'm not going to let this smart-ass kid get on the phone and tell me how to do my job."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38783508/clemson-dabo-swinney-rips-caller-appreciation
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2023, 05:20:20 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 560
Dabo responded to an angry fan the way that I think a lot of these coaches and players want to sometimes  :police:

Amid his worst season in more than a decade, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney lambasted a caller to his radio show on Monday after being asked to defend his team's performance given his status as one of the highest-paid coaches in the country.

"You're part of the problem," Swinney told the caller, who introduced himself only as "Tyler in Spartanburg." "The appreciation, the expectation is greater than the appreciation. That's the problem. We've won 12 10-plus-win seasons in a row. That's happened three times in 150 years. Clemson ain't sniff a national championship for 35 years; we've won two in seven years. And there's only two other teams that can say that: Georgia and Alabama.

"Is this a bad year? Yeah, and it's my responsibility. Take 100 percent responsibility for it. But all this bull crap you're thinking, all these narratives you read. Listen, man, you can have your opinion all you want, and you can apply for the job. And good luck to you."

Monday's tirade was the latest -- and most aggressive -- response from Swinney amid growing criticism of his handling of the Clemson program, which will miss the College Football Playoff for the third straight year after a 4-4 start to the season.

In a radio show appearance two weeks ago, Swinney lamented the Clemson "bandwagon" fans and suggested that a few losses might help get rid of bad fans who have lost an appreciation for winning. The Tigers then lost in overtime to Miami and, last week, by a touchdown to NC State.

Swinney went on Monday to defend his salary, noting that upon his hiring in 2009, he was among the lowest-paid coaches at a major program.

"I started as the lowest-paid coach in this business [and] I worked my ass off," Swinney said. "I'm not going to let this smart-ass kid get on the phone and tell me how to do my job."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38783508/clemson-dabo-swinney-rips-caller-appreciation
Not a Dabo fan but I don't mind his response at all.  He took Clemson to unprecedented level.  Their fans ought to be grateful.  However, it does sound like the pressure may be getting to him. 

« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2023, 05:30:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
The original question from Tyler and Dabo's full response is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs4cxRVByns

Honestly I'm surprised none of them respond more like this to the often unreasonable expectations from fans and media...I guess what really set him off was the caller telling him Dabo didn't know what he was doing with his coach hires and then saying "why are we paying you $10.5m to go 4-4", as if it was his money that was personally paying Dabo  :police:

I guess college football's big business now, with an entire ecosystem of commenters, sports journalists, talking heads and media to get stuck into coaches and players if they don't play well. And there's always the "you're only as good as your last game" mentality these days, with everyone's attention span being so short.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 05:45:32 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2023, 07:47:44 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
First rankings are out:

I'm fine with it for the most part. Not sure how Oklahoma is still Top-10 after that loss to Kansas, and USC should not even be 20 (should be lower or unranked IMO). But whatever, they'll lose to Washington and Oregon anyways.

Personally I'd have Michigan ahead of Georgia, but tbh I think the Michigan-Ohio State game late in the season will determine who is in and out anyways (unless Michigan loses to Penn State in which case it's likely a moot point). I think if all of Florida State, Washington and Georgia win out, those 3 will be in almost guaranteed, and basically the winner of Ohio State/Michigan is in, loser is out. But of course, it's college football, upsets can happen every week
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2023, 08:04:06 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
First rankings are out:

I'm fine with it for the most part. Not sure how Oklahoma is still Top-10 after that loss to Kansas, and USC should not even be 20 (should be lower or unranked IMO). But whatever, they'll lose to Washington and Oregon anyways.

Personally I'd have Michigan ahead of Georgia, but tbh I think the Michigan-Ohio State game late in the season will determine who is in and out anyways (unless Michigan loses to Penn State in which case it's likely a moot point). I think if all of Florida State, Washington and Georgia win out, those 3 will be in almost guaranteed, and basically the winner of Ohio State/Michigan is in, loser is out. But of course, it's college football, upsets can happen every week
Oklahoma beat Texas the #7 team.  Losing close to Kansas, the #21 team, on the road isn't that bad of a loss.  Maybe Oklahoma should be behind Ole Miss but I certainly wouldn't put them behind Penn State, who hasn't beaten any good team. 

« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2023, 08:07:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
Tulane and Air Force fighting it out for the New Years 6 invite.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2023, 09:55:20 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Idk what games specifically (maybe LSU-Alabama, ND-Clemson?), but I'm feeling some upsets today.

Lot of awesome games coming up.

Call me crazy but I also think Missouri could give Georgia a huge fight. If the game was played @Missouri I probably would have even picked them. Alas, it's at Sanford Stadium

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2023, 10:16:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you told me a month & half ago that BC would manage to salvage their season and become bowl eligible, I would’ve said “pour me one of those manhattans”.

A 5 game winning streak later & they’re 6-3.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2023, 10:24:34 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
If you told me a month & half ago that BC would manage to salvage their season and become bowl eligible, I would’ve said “pour me one of those manhattans”.

A 5 game winning streak later & they’re 6-3.

Oh yeah good for them! They might have something with Castellanos.

Funny enough they aren't completely out of the ACC Title Game hunt yet lol. If they win out + Louisville loses 1 more and tiebreakers get involved, they could make it and face Florida State haha

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2023, 01:06:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Anyone see that “fake QB sneak” by Rutgers just now?!?

WOW!  :o

« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2023, 01:41:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

Rutgers leading Ohio State at halftime too

« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2023, 02:02:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Rutgers leading Ohio State at halftime too
9-7 with Rutgers kicking 3 field goals inside the OSU 5.  No elite teams this season but OSU is definitely not the best team. 

« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2023, 02:03:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Embarrassing 1st half for the Buckeyes. Have no real concern they will lose yet, but the longer this goes like this the more concern will build.

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2023, 02:13:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Rutgers came out and drove down the field, but then threw a pick 6.  Be curious to see if they can continue to move the ball or if the INT ignites the Buckeyes

« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2023, 02:22:23 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Rutgers came out and drove down the field, but then threw a pick 6.  Be curious to see if they can continue to move the ball or if the INT ignites the Buckeyes
Rutgers will implode.  Their 6-2 record is fools gold.