Poll

Which would you prefer?

Rasheed comes back and plays for at least one more season
19 (24.4%)
Rasheed agrees to retire and we trade his contract
59 (75.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Hold that thought: Rasheed might not retire after all?  (Read 22428 times)

Hold that thought: Rasheed might not retire after all?
« on: July 03, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67805/20100703/rasheed_might_rethink_retirement/

Rasheed Wallace may re-think his decision to retire, according to a source.

Because Wallace had two years and $13 million (including $6.32 million next season) remaining on his deal when he retired, the Celtics have been looking into moving his contract to another team, which would then get the savings from Wallace's cap number, in exchange for assets.

Well that would certainly stink... but if our best bet is a washed up scrub like Brad miller... guess it doesn't matter much anyways.

Hold that thought: Rasheed might not retire after all?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
With Doc Rivers deciding to return to the Celtics next season, and Boston close to re-signing Paul Pierce to a four-year deal, a source said Saturday night that there is a "possibility" that veteran forward Rasheed Wallace could re-think his decision last month to retire after 15 NBA seasons. The Celtics believed Wallace would retire after the team's seven-game Finals loss to the Lakers, and he appeared to make the decision final a week or so later.

Because Wallace had two years and $13 million (including $6.32 million next season) remaining on his deal when he retired, the Celtics have been looking into moving his contract to another team, which would then get the savings from Wallace's cap number, in exchange for assets. But obviously, if Wallace decides to play next season, that team wouldn't get the money off of its cap.

Link.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I like what Rasheed brings to the table when he's healthy and motivated.  On the other hand, I'm fairly excited with the possibilities of having up to $9.9 million in cap flexibility (assuming a retiring Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette could be included in a trade.)

Maybe we'll get the best case scenario:  Rasheed says he's retiring, moves to another team where he's bought out for nothing (ala Derek Fisher), and then he decides to come back for the playoffs.  (Although one wonders what type of shape Rasheed would be in after taking the regular season off.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Hold that thought: Rasheed might not retire after all?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
This is bad.
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

Maybe we'll get the best case scenario:  Rasheed says he's retiring, moves to another team where he's bought out for nothing (ala Derek Fisher), and then he decides to come back for the playoffs.  (Although one wonders what type of shape Rasheed would be in after taking the regular season off.)
I think that's most likely, something like he gets traded with 2 million for a buyout. If the receiving team takes him to clear salary, then they use our money to pay the buyout and don't care. If they trade for cap space - then they still can clear 8-9 million anyways, which at this point could be critical.

If he did come back - we'll need him early more than late with Perk rehabbing, but I could see him being an extra big on the playoffs and really helping (I mean we had to play Sheldon in the finals.)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
How about we trade him, don't use the MLE, agrees to the minimum buyout, then after the waiting period we sign him for 2 years with our MLE!

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
How about we trade him, don't use the MLE, agrees to the minimum buyout, then after the waiting period we sign him for 2 years with our MLE!
How about 1 year and vet. min.?
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
well, don't like to hear this at all.  He's done and he needs to go.  We NEED that money to improve this team via trade. 

I'll say this...  If he decides to change his mind and come back, we are a weaker team and this is THE ONE decision that could screw this team...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sheed needs to make up his mind one or another and do so quickly.

This indecision is making Danny's attempts in free agency + summer planning a lot more difficult.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 11:38:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
well, don't like to hear this at all.  He's done and he needs to go.  We NEED that money to improve this team via trade. 

I'll say this...  If he decides to change his mind and come back, we are a weaker team and this is THE ONE decision that could screw this team...

We have the MLE and possibly Sheed's contract and we clearly need a center. If we can't get one through a trade it will probably cost us the MLE for someone worse than Sheed (like Brad Miller). This would give us a center and leave us the full MLE to use on a younger (or at least better) backup wing.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
I'd take Miller over 'Sheed any day. He didn't do anything for us this season except miss a bunch of 3's and make stupid fouls.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
With Doc Rivers deciding to return to the Celtics next season, and Boston close to re-signing Paul Pierce to a four-year deal, a source said Saturday night that there is a "possibility" that veteran forward Rasheed Wallace could re-think his decision last month to retire after 15 NBA seasons. The Celtics believed Wallace would retire after the team's seven-game Finals loss to the Lakers, and he appeared to make the decision final a week or so later.

Because Wallace had two years and $13 million (including $6.32 million next season) remaining on his deal when he retired, the Celtics have been looking into moving his contract to another team, which would then get the savings from Wallace's cap number, in exchange for assets. But obviously, if Wallace decides to play next season, that team wouldn't get the money off of its cap.

Link.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I like what Rasheed brings to the table when he's healthy and motivated.  On the other hand, I'm fairly excited with the possibilities of having up to $9.9 million in cap flexibility (assuming a retiring Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette could be included in a trade.)

By the way, that story doesn't make a ton of sense to me because I heard that Sheed was talking about retiring before the playoffs began. I don't think his leaving was linked to the thought that Paul and/or Doc might not be back.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 11:43:20 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42

Maybe we'll get the best case scenario:  Rasheed says he's retiring, moves to another team where he's bought out for nothing (ala Derek Fisher), and then he decides to come back for the playoffs.
It could be the best of both worlds.  Trade him, let him retire, then resign him in February or so.  Maybe if we send him to a crappy team with no shot at the playoffs it would be an incentive for him to retire.  Maybe we can pick up a guy like Troy Murphy or Nocioni.

(Although one wonders what type of shape Rasheed would be in after taking the regular season off.)

Well, we basically saw that in 2010, didn't we?  ;)
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 11:48:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I'd take Miller over 'Sheed any day. He didn't do anything for us this season except miss a bunch of 3's and make stupid fouls.

Miller's three point shooting wasn't any better. And Wallace stepped it up in the playoffs, providing us with good defense. I don't think you'll get that from Miller at this stage in his career.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

Well, didn't Rasheed play pretty well in the playoffs despite taking the 09-10 regular season off?  ;)

In all seriousness, I think the safest bet is to have Rasheed play one more year with us.  He can play 25 minutes a game as a starter until Perk gets back, then play 10 a game the rest of the regular season behind BBD on the bench.

As nice as it would be to get a David Lee, is he really a good fit to be our starting center?

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Sheed is better then Miller. The two are similar in what they can give offensively, but Sheed is superior defensively. It would be great though if Sheed retires now so we can trade him and then comes back in February for one more run.