Poll

Which would you prefer?

Rasheed comes back and plays for at least one more season
19 (24.4%)
Rasheed agrees to retire and we trade his contract
59 (75.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Hold that thought: Rasheed might not retire after all?  (Read 22493 times)

Re: Hold that thought: Rasheed might not retire after all?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2010, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Guys, I think Sheed is coming back.
You need to remember how upset he was with the officiating in Game 7. He stormed the refs locker room and was ejected by security, disallowed to even change back into street clothes !
His decision to retire was nothing more than an emotional knee-jerk reaction to the dissapointment the whole team experienced and the uncertainties concerning what the Celtics would be next year. Sheed is very fussy at his age about what coach and players surround him. He's built a bond with the KG, Doc, Ray and Paul. Did you see KG hugging him in Game 6 ? I bet you that KG is talking him into playing again.
Sheed will be back now that it looks like everyone he wants back is also. He knew what he was doing with the 3-yr contract. Expect the announcement after the Ray deal.

All reports I read was that Sheed wanted to say goodbye to the refs. He was not storming into their locker room. Security would not let him in. He didnt get ejected.

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
all timely radio reports on WEEI and other stations reported that he was ejected from the stadium still dressed in his Celtic uniform. The later written reports were a coverup.

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Guys, I think Sheed is coming back.
You need to remember how upset he was with the officiating in Game 7. He stormed the refs locker room and was ejected by security, disallowed to even change back into street clothes !
His decision to retire was nothing more than an emotional knee-jerk reaction to the dissapointment the whole team experienced and the uncertainties concerning what the Celtics would be next year. Sheed is very fussy at his age about what coach and players surround him. He's built a bond with the KG, Doc, Ray and Paul. Did you see KG hugging him in Game 6 ? I bet you that KG is talking him into playing again.
Sheed will be back now that it looks like everyone he wants back is also. He knew what he was doing with the 3-yr contract. Expect the announcement after the Ray deal

although I think you are right and that he will come back, I don't think he stormed the refs' locker room to complain. It sounded like he wanted to bury the hatchet and say goodbye to them before retiring. He did tell the guy at the door that it was nothing bad.

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
all timely radio reports on WEEI and other stations reported that he was ejected from the stadium still dressed in his Celtic uniform. The later written reports were a coverup.

I don't think they were coverups. I think the initial reports were wrong and reflect the initial reaction people have to Sheed from his reputation. If he really did storm the locker room to argue, I'm sure Stern would have loved to take the opportunity to fine him. He is still under contract, a fine and suspension would have been very easy and quick to dish out. No action by the league indicates Wallace didn't do anything wrong.

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
So, the Sheed might not retire??? Good, get your fat azz in shape and contribute something before Game 7 of the NBA finals. I don't want no Fatione style performances during the regular season.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The best situation for us would be we trade him. He gets bought out then he signs with us for the second half of the season PJ Brown style.

I'm not sure his body could handle an entire season. Especially because he'd probably be starting for the first half of the year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm having Brett Favre flashbacks.

I just want Sheed to make up his mind, if he's wavering then it's likely making things difficult as far as a trade is concerned.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
We shouldn't even be surprised though, really. For true clarity, it's best for a player to give it a couple weeks after wrapping up the season and then make a decision on future.

His announcement was emotion based and made prior to stepping away from the grind.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
come back sheed!
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm having Brett Favre flashbacks.

I just want Sheed to make up his mind, if he's wavering then it's likely making things difficult as far as a trade is concerned.
It's not as if he ever made a public announcement.

If you sign someone like him for 3 years, this is part of the bargain.

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
http://celticshub.com/2010/07/04/other-july-4th-nuggets-sheeds-future-the-great-wall-of-turkey/

His performance in Game 7 aside, all of the evidence we have suggests that Rasheed Wallace is close to washed up. None of that evidence suggests he would show up in shape next season if he does decide to continue with Boston. And while his performance in the post-season was better than his work in the regular season, it was not as good as people think. His PER was an awful 10.4, he made fewer than one three-pointer per game and his defense was solid in the post but very shaky on the screen/roll.

His value now lies in his contract, not his play.

So true...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So word out this morning from people a lot closer to Rasheed Wallace than David Aldridge is that Aldridge's report was wrong and that Rasheed is actually holding off on retirement for the purpose of assisting the Celtics in trading his contract and helping out the team.

Link

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Rasheed Wallace is taking his time in officially announcing his retirement. That's just fine with the Boston Celtics.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Monday that Wallace is assisting the team by not filing retirement papers any time soon.

"He's trying to help us out by waiting, which is good,'' Rivers said of Wallace, due to make $6.32 million next season and $6.79 million in 2011-12. "He's still our property so we can use that in a trade or something. He's doing a great thing for us.''

While there has been some speculation Wallace might not retire now that Rivers has assured that he will return to the Celtics and star forward Paul Pierce is on the verge of signing a new contract, Rivers said the chances are "very little or none'' the forward will play next season.

Another link

Despite published reports to the contrary, the #Celtics still anticipate Rasheed Wallace retiring.

As I said earlier in the thread, this is all BS on David Aldridge's part to fill column space and is completely wrong and as can be seen from the tone of the above article and Tweet, Rasheed is retiring, he is not awaiting a buyout. he is giving up all his money and the only reason he hasn't done so yet is to help out the Celtics.

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Good to hear that Nick!

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://celticshub.com/2010/07/04/other-july-4th-nuggets-sheeds-future-the-great-wall-of-turkey/

His performance in Game 7 aside, all of the evidence we have suggests that Rasheed Wallace is close to washed up. None of that evidence suggests he would show up in shape next season if he does decide to continue with Boston. And while his performance in the post-season was better than his work in the regular season, it was not as good as people think. His PER was an awful 10.4, he made fewer than one three-pointer per game and his defense was solid in the post but very shaky on the screen/roll.

His value now lies in his contract, not his play.

So true...

Haha. Let's all get excited about the playoff PERs of possible replacements Brad Miller (4.14) or Erick Dampier (3.68).

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
So word out this morning from people a lot closer to Rasheed Wallace than David Aldridge is that Aldridge's report was wrong and that Rasheed is actually holding off on retirement for the purpose of assisting the Celtics in trading his contract and helping out the team.

Link

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Rasheed Wallace is taking his time in officially announcing his retirement. That's just fine with the Boston Celtics.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Monday that Wallace is assisting the team by not filing retirement papers any time soon.

"He's trying to help us out by waiting, which is good,'' Rivers said of Wallace, due to make $6.32 million next season and $6.79 million in 2011-12. "He's still our property so we can use that in a trade or something. He's doing a great thing for us.''

While there has been some speculation Wallace might not retire now that Rivers has assured that he will return to the Celtics and star forward Paul Pierce is on the verge of signing a new contract, Rivers said the chances are "very little or none'' the forward will play next season.

Another link

Despite published reports to the contrary, the #Celtics still anticipate Rasheed Wallace retiring.

As I said earlier in the thread, this is all BS on David Aldridge's part to fill column space and is completely wrong and as can be seen from the tone of the above article and Tweet, Rasheed is retiring, he is not awaiting a buyout. he is giving up all his money and the only reason he hasn't done so yet is to help out the Celtics.

Or maybe the story was meant for Aldridge to pick up to continue the facade that he might not be retiring for..

cough <stern> cough.

I have to believe there is some obscure rule if you knowingly trade a player ( it's done all the time ) who's going to retire the second he sets foot in his new city ( probably won't even do that ) that the league can fine or reject the trade.

Just my .02.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10