Author Topic: This looks like a lotto squad to me  (Read 36632 times)

Re: This looks like a lotto squad to me
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Trivia....name all the players drafted by the Orlando Magic since 1994 that have become all stars and that never played a minute in the NBA. There is one of each.

Is Dario Saric one of them?  How about Fran Vazquez?

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Trivia....name all the players drafted by the Orlando Magic since 1994 that have become all stars and that never played a minute in the NBA. There is one of each.

Is Dario Saric one of them?  How about Fran Vazquez?
You got Fran right

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
-deleted-

« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Trivia...name all the all stars drafted by the Lakers since 1995 that have become all stars. There are two.

Trivia: The Celtics should still tank.

Just because a team doesnt draft a star doesnt mean the pick and assets they got tanking didnt help them in trades for instance to acquire new ones.

It sure doesn't look like tanking is the plan for the 2016 Celtics. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I can sum up the original post and the replies in two sentences -- Glass Half Empty.  Glass Half Full.

Honestly, I don't know what's going to happen.  But I like our roster now better than what we had last season.  I find it difficult to believe that NONE of our youngsters will improve a single iota.  I find it hard to believe that Brad Stevens is not going to build on prior success, and build these guys to compete even better now that the 'system' is established.  These are just based on rational assumptions.  A basketball team doesn't exist in a vacuum, it is built going forward.

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2015, 05:16:54 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
One thing that you might want to consider about our young players: individually none of them look particularly likely to break out this year, but there are a lot of them. When you have so many young guys, It's not impossible or even improbable that one of them discovers some hitherto unknown upside.

Rolling five six sided and having one of them come up six is more likely than flipping one coin and having it come up  heads.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
One thing that you might want to consider about our young players: individually none of them look particularly likely to break out this year, but there are a lot of them. When you have so many young guys, It's not impossible or even improbable that one of them discovers some hitherto unknown upside.

Rolling five six sided and having one of them come up six is more likely than flipping one coin and having it come up  heads.

Well 3 of them still need to get a long look. That's why I loved this years draft. You have 4 solid opportunities (really just 3 as Thornton takes the Colton Iverson Euro route).

What if just one breaks out ? Rozier, Hunter, and Mickey all do a ton of things well. So who knows. You hit on just one of these three and you're a lot better than last year.

Then there's Young. Whose still younger than all of your picks.

« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
i don't get the point of going back and forth on this anymore.  it started before free agency and has continued to here.  evvvvvverybody believed we would make a big trade up in the draft and make a huge splash.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

evvvvvverybody believed boston would be a destination for at least one elite level free agent, and that the idea that elite free agents have never come here before was simply because the C's never have had cap room, and not because Boston isn't an appealing city or team.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

and now evvvvverbody seems to think we're a lock for a playoff team and we have all these players that are just going to develop into assets and that despite not having a single superstar, that chemistry, team play, and development will rule the day and carry Boston to (i've seen as many as) 52 wins, or at least a marked improvement over last year. there's been a small, vocal group of others who believe otherwise and are battled every step of the way for their belief as to why..........wonder what'll happen

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
i don't get the point of going back and forth on this anymore.  it started before free agency and has continued to here.  evvvvvverybody believed we would make a big trade up in the draft and make a huge splash.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

evvvvvverybody believed boston would be a destination for at least one elite level free agent, and that the idea that elite free agents have never come here before was simply because the C's never have had cap room, and not because Boston isn't an appealing city or team.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

and now evvvvverbody seems to think we're a lock for a playoff team and we have all these players that are just going to develop into assets and that despite not having a single superstar, that chemistry, team play, and development will rule the day and carry Boston to (i've seen as many as) 52 wins, or at least a marked improvement over last year. there's been a small, vocal group of others who believe otherwise and are battled every step of the way for their belief as to why..........wonder what'll happen

52 wins? These people boggle the mind. We just had a 5-year run where we only contended because we had three HOFers and people still dismiss stars like no big deal. As if role players raised all those banners.

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thanks for helping to illustrate the point how unlikely it is that these scrubs we took in the draft this year will amount to squat. 

Like I said, we swapped out Bass with Amir and added some depth to the Red Claws.  Unless we get some major progress from the mediocre youth, or pull off a miracle trade, I see this is a lotto squad.   Lots of teams behind us have made progress.  Is that to say that every... single... team... will improve?  No, of course not.   But Boston made the playoffs with a losing record.  I'm skeptical it happens again.

« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm going with 50 wins.

« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Thanks for helping to illustrate the point how unlikely it is that these scrubs we took in the draft this year will amount to squat. 

Like I said, we swapped out Bass with Amir and added some depth to the Red Claws.  Unless we get some major progress from the mediocre youth, or pull off a miracle trade, I see this is a lotto squad.   Lots of teams behind us have made progress.  Is that to say that every... single... team... will improve?  No, of course not.   But Boston made the playoffs with a losing record.  I'm skeptical it happens again.

Well to he fair Danny has gotten good value later in the draft before but no one that has really moved the needle. Which is what you expect in the mid first. Tank or expect mediocrity for years to come

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Wizards, Hawks, Heat, Cavs, Bulls, Bucks, Pacers, Raptors are all much better on paper than the Celtics.

Nets, Hornets, Magic are on the Celtics level and could either finish above or below them.

Sixers, Pistons, and Knicks are the only teams we should finish infront of in the east. Right now I'd peg the Celtics to land anywhere between 8-12 in the lotto.

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Right, but it's unlikely for any scrubs in any draft to amount to all star status.

I'll take scrubs drafted by Ainge and coached by CBS over the scrubs drafted by and coached by anyone else any day of the week. 

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Wizards, Hawks, Heat, Cavs, Bulls, Bucks, Pacers, Raptors are all much better on paper than the Celtics.

Nets, Hornets, Magic are on the Celtics level and could either finish above or below them.

Sixers, Pistons, and Knicks are the only teams we should finish infront of in the east. Right now I'd peg the Celtics to land anywhere between 8-12 in the lotto.
In the next two years we'll have a better pg than all of those teams not named the Wizards.