Author Topic: Bulpett: Bulls wanted #3 pick, two rotation players, and Nets 2017 pick  (Read 7171 times)

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
For those crucifying Ainge for trying to 'win' a trade on draft night, apparently the asking price for Butler was insane. The Bulls wanted the #3 pick, the Nets 2017 pick, and two rotation players that were likely Bradley and Crowder.

"The initial key for the Bulls was the third overall pick from last month’s draft and the ability to select Providence guard Kris Dunn. The aforementioned sources added that the Celtics were willing to add one player from their rotation when Chicago wanted a second.

Another sticking point in that and in other deals Boston is talking about is that pick from the Nets next year,” said one of these sources. “Danny will make it available in the right situation, but he’s not going to give it up with core players, too. That’s going to be a good draft, and that’s going to be a high pick."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/bulpett_celtics_working_the_nba_room_but_no_deals_pending

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Lol, butler is not worth that much. It sounds like danny wasnt necessarily trying to win the trade, more that he was trying to get off the barrell the bulls were putting him over.
#JKJB

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Okay, so, clearly, the Bulls did not really want to trade Butler.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
If that was really the asking price for Butler there is no way DA should make that deal.  Given that as a starting point, what would be reasonable counter offer? 

#3, Crowder and Memphis 2019?

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
lawl. thatd be a terrible deal for the c's. butler isnt that crazy of an upgrade over crowder anyway.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Too much.

But Ainge messed up the 3rd pick as well. Should have drafted Kris Dunn and traded a guard.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If that was really the asking price for Butler there is no way DA should make that deal.  Given that as a starting point, what would be reasonable counter offer? 

#3, Crowder and Memphis 2019?

Maybe it wasnt the starting point. Maybe that was their final offer and danny thought they couldnt even be reasoned with.
#JKJB

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Glad Ainge stayed true

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
For those crucifying Ainge for trying to 'win' a trade on draft night, apparently the asking price for Butler was insane. The Bulls wanted the #3 pick, the Nets 2017 pick, and two rotation players that were likely Bradley and Crowder.

I was very disappointed we didn't pick up Butler pre-draft but if this was the deal then Ainge did the right thing in walking away. I'd have given #3, one of AB or JC, and a young guy (Rozier/Hunter/Mickey/Young) but I wouldn't have even parted with two. There is no way I give away the Net's swap in addition to those guys, even before the Nets struck out on FA.

If true, another example of Danny being good at his job.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Not really buying this. It would explain Wyc's anger I suppose.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Glad Danny didn't make the trade. It's a bit much but that's a fair asking price from the Bulls in my eyes. Basically saying we aren't trading Butler unless we get the moon and I respect that.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If this was actually the price of Butler then it was pretty irresponsible of them to say "Butler is available."

The next time they make someone available Danny needs to not call them. They can call us.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Whatever the news, Danny's haters still remain the same.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
To me, it is pretty natural that any GM who has a star in his team should ask the moon from Danny.
That's exactly what Danny did with Rondo during all these years.

Again, Danny is far from being desperate, even after drafting all those players.
The fact is, we might have a chance at another stud in the draft and we might have a good chance to sign an allstar next summer.

Who cares about trading for Butler, Griffin, Wes. Let's finalize our roster with smart moves (role players). Make a playoff run and get better next year.
I'm all for it.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This was the rumor on draft night except the rotation players were named as Crowder and Bradley.  Yeah, Butler's a fine player but that's a hard pass.  Glad we didn't bite.