Author Topic: The Abdel Nader Positivity Thread!  (Read 4709 times)

Re: The Abdel Nader Positivity Thread!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I was laughing when Nader and every other guy on our SL roster blew by Bender last night like he was in quicksand.  Elite athlete.  Excellent lateral quickness.  Can guard all 5 positions.  HAHAHAH!  Every time I watch Bender play will be like Christmas, and watching Kris Dunn tear up the league is going to be torture for McDonagh.

Also, Chriss's play style and body type screams "season-ending injury".

Yeah, I broke my general prohibition against watching summer league, after hearing how awful the Euromistake has looked.

He's even more undeveloped that I thought. Poor Phoenix.

They might have hit a home run with Chriss though. If Chriss hits his ceiling and they whiff on Bender, it's still a good draft.
I don't know how you eval these things.  If your #4 never becomes a rotation player but your #8 is an all-star, maybe it's a wash?  Sacramento is the real loser, right?  Papagiannis and Labissierre for Chriss is... questionable.

They went for 2 really raw, but high ceiling picks. I think realistically, if you can end up with one All-Star in your draft it was a good one. Bender was a gamble and nobody will tell you he was a sure thing, so they took a risk hoping that one of the two would pan out into something special.

That is how I look at it. It's entirely subjective, so I'm not saying my view is right.

You weren't on this board before the draft, were you? There were plenty of people turning Bender into the Second Coming.

I've been a member since 2007, but I only started posting after a bunch of years off back in like April (The Bruins do not deserve my time anymore). I only have the time to follow one Boston team at a time.... I am aware that some people thought he was the next great big man, but nobody here has seen anything outside of a few YouTube highlights. I had no opinion on him.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Just a tidbit on Abdel Nader:

Nader played small forward during his time at Iowa State. He averaged 12.9 points, five rebounds and 1.5 assists in 35 games for the Cyclones. He shot 48.7 percent from the field, including 37 percent from three-point range.

He's 6'6" 230 with a 7'1" wingspan.
Shot 21% from 3 pt range his junior year - first year at Iowa State.  That's why I wouldn't get to hyped up about Brown's 3 pt shooting.

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I was laughing when Nader and every other guy on our SL roster blew by Bender last night like he was in quicksand.  Elite athlete.  Excellent lateral quickness.  Can guard all 5 positions.  HAHAHAH!  Every time I watch Bender play will be like Christmas, and watching Kris Dunn tear up the league is going to be torture for McDonagh.

Yeah, I broke my general prohibition against watching summer league, after hearing how awful the Euromistake has looked.

They might have hit a home run with Chriss though. If Chriss hits his ceiling and they whiff on Bender, it's still a good draft.
I don't know how you eval these things.  If your #4 never becomes a rotation player but your #8 is an all-star, maybe it's a wash?  Sacramento is the real loser, right?  Papagiannis and Labissierre for Chriss is... questionable.

They went for 2 really raw, but high ceiling picks. I think realistically, if you can end up with one All-Star in your draft it was a good one. Bender was a gamble and nobody will tell you he was a sure thing, so they took a risk hoping that one of the two would pan out into something special.

That is how I look at it. It's entirely subjective, so I'm not saying my view is right.

You weren't on this board before the draft, were you? There were plenty of people turning Bender into the Second Coming.

I've been a member since 2007, but I only started posting after a bunch of years off back in like April (The Bruins do not deserve my time anymore). I only have the time to follow one Boston team at a time.... I am aware that some people thought he was the next great big man, but nobody here has seen anything outside of a few YouTube highlights. I had no opinion on him.

It's hard to have a legitimate opinion on him based on You Tube - unless you've got a scout you've respected and coached against for three decades telling you two things:

1 He's exactly the kind of "I know something no one else does" draft pick Danny Ainge loves to make.

and

2. He'll never play a meaningful minute in the NBA.

Chilling stuff.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

It's hard to have a legitimate opinion on him based on You Tube - unless you've got a scout you've respected and coached against for three decades telling you two things:

1 He's exactly the kind of "I know something no one else does" draft pick Danny Ainge loves to make.

and

Chilling stuff.

That was scary, because IMO he is not an NBA caliber player.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

But wait a minute, summer league doesn't mean a thing......or does it? Which is it Bo?

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

And celticsblog voted a marginal % as the best player to take at #3.  Oh boy the brain trust around here :o
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:00:58 PM by cltc5 »

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

and

Chilling stuff.

Oh.

Your friend who is a scout told you that huh? Cool. And you've previously said he's never been wrong on anything before. Why doesn't he join us on this forum? Perhaps he can enlighten us here.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

and

Chilling stuff.

Confirmed.  Half of celticsblog doesn't  have a clue

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 03:25:01 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

and

Chilling stuff.
and such definitive judgements are based upon.......youtube videos and a few summer league game? time to turn in your scout uniform if this is how you are assessing players' future careers.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

and

Chilling stuff.

Confirmed.  Half of celticsblog doesn't  have a clue
clearly, as demonstrated by this post, right?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

and

Chilling stuff.

Can't help laughing looking at this. Crazy how everyone wanted him with the #3 pick.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

But wait a minute, summer league doesn't mean a thing......or does it? Which is it Bo?

The only thing I know for sure about Summer League is that it means as little or as much as each individual person needs it to for the purposes of whatever argument they're making about a player they like or dislike.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

and

Chilling stuff.

Can't help laughing looking at this. Crazy how everyone wanted him with the #3 pick.
I think its a bit misleading because iirc that poll was in an article which was basically a Dragan Bender puff piece (someone correct me if I am wrong. I well could be). So you have the duel factors of a) Bender fans being more likely to read the article and b) it being able to convince some people who didnt remember to look at the other players and realize similar puff pieces could be written about them. I dont believe half the blog wanted Bender at 3. My take on him all along was that I couldnt scout him accurately but I liked his skillset and I trusted Ainge to only pick him if that skillset was legit.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If I hadn't looked it up, I would've sworn Nader was at least 6'8".  He plays big.
He measured 6'5 barefoot at the Portsmouth Invitational, so not even close to 6'8.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If I hadn't looked it up, I would've sworn Nader was at least 6'8".  He plays big.
He measured 6'5 barefoot at the Portsmouth Invitational, so not even close to 6'8.
he does look big out there tho.

FWIW Winslow who is listed at 6'7" is actually a half inch shorter than Nader. Crazy how much these guys play with their heights.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.