Author Topic: Would you be happy if we only added Butler + Horford (but no KD) this summer?  (Read 8924 times)

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Throw the house at Bird for Paul George...sign Horford and Pau Gasol.

2017, sign Durant.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This might sound odd, but it might make sense to trade BOTH guys. Bradley, Crowder, #16, #23 for Butler and a future 1st? At least in that scenario you're definitely getting the best player in the deal. Regardless of HOW much better he is than Crowder or Bradley, I think most would agree he IS better and will help attract other players.

But think about what it sets up. Chicago gets two players and 2 firsts. Now we unload anything and everything for Cousins. Let's say we offer #3 pick, Smart, KO, BRK picks, MEM pick. Sacramento could end up with the equivalent of 3-5 high lottery picks on top of their own the next few years to rebuild while everyone else chases the insane salary cap.

So now where are we? We've got a "Big 3" of IT, Butler and Cousins for a paltry $40M. Which means we could still sign a max free agent like KD and fill out the roster. For simplicity say we just bring back all "our" guys (Jerebko, Turner, Sully).

IT / Butler / Durant / Sully / Cousins
bench: Jerebko, Turner, Mickey, Rozier, Young, Hunter, some vets

Yeah I know, I turned this into a Durant thing. But the point is- trading both Bradley and Crowder for Butler and keeping the #3 opens some interesting doors.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The Butler trade is reasonable so I'm fine with that. Save the cap space from Horford though. Go and get someone on an Amir style contract and look to trade them to a team trying to clear cap space in 2017. I don't see Horford as a lure for Durant and even worse what if Durant doesn't come? You've crippled your cap space for Al Horford?!

Just steer clear from Horford. Get a cheaper center on a shorter contract. Someone like Pachulia or Noah or Mahinmi

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It is certainly a better team than we put on the floor last season, but I don't think Horford signs here for a slight improvement on the floor.

And no, it isn't a serious threat to Cleveland.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Let's say the Butler trade is Crowder, JJ, Rozier, and number 3 for something like Butler and Dunleavy. And let's also say that Durant signs a 1+1 in OKC. Would you be happy with the following lineup, and how far could we go with this lineup?

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Bradley, Dunleavy
SF: Butler, Turner (resigned)
PF: Amir, Mickey
C: Horfore, KO

Does this team challenge Cleveland in the East with improved scoring and defense?

I would rather we pursue other avenues than horford as I see a sharper decline in his future and don't want to max that out and get the Joe Johnson contract 2.0.  However love the butler trade and I'd be all for that aspect.

Maybe kick the tires on Whiteside and feel out his attitude. Check out a WCS trade. Very cautious abou5 horford
#JKJB

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not in love with Butler and that offer IMO is an overpay also I thought Butler mostly played SG? I would think about Bradly and #3 for him that way we have IT, Butler, Crowder. I'll take Horford but not on a max deal and no this team doesn't compete with Cleveland.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm not in love with Butler and that offer IMO is an overpay also I thought Butler mostly played SG? I would think about Bradly and #3 for him that way we have IT, Butler, Crowder. I'll take Horford but not on a max deal and no this team doesn't compete with Cleveland.
I agree, and to answer the OP, no I would not be happy.  Per DA, you need "special" player(s)  :o

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd be fine with that as long as the trade for Butler wasn't an overpay (which I think the suggested one was)

It would put is in a good position for next season and set us up to make a big splash in the 2017 offseason (especially if the 2017 Nets pick is a good one)
I'm bitter.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Let's say the Butler trade is Crowder, JJ, Rozier, and number 3 for something like Butler and Dunleavy. And let's also say that Durant signs a 1+1 in OKC. Would you be happy with the following lineup, and how far could we go with this lineup?

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Bradley, Dunleavy
SF: Butler, Turner (resigned)
PF: Amir, Mickey
C: Horfore, KO

Does this team challenge Cleveland in the East with improved scoring and defense?
I'd be happy if we add Horford and Butler but this is an overpay for Butler

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think we have to be somewhat careful adding players only to be left at the alter.  Crowder shouldn't be traded either for those guys. We want to keep our flexibility somewhat.   Having a young player on a rookie deal and developing that player is sometimes more valuable. Like Stevens was saying it has to be something substantial where we are going to put ourselves in a very good position.  I would be wary of adding players in hopes of Durant though.  It depends on who it is and for what price.

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I like the idea but I think you switch out Smart for Crowder in the trade. In this scenario I think you also let Amir walk.
So Smart, Rozier and #3 for Butler
The only think lacking in this scenario is our outside shooter. At this point we trade the Mavs pick for Dano

IT/Hunter
Butler/Bradley
Crowder
Gallinari/Mickey
Horford/KO

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I can't support a Butler trade that involves Crowder.

I have a hard time finding any trade that involves Crowder palatable. His production/contract ratio is through the roof and you get him for four more years at that price. It's incredible, really.

As for Butler, I wouldn't love giving up #3, Bradley, and RJ/Young, but that would be my best offer (they can have one of our later 2nds, too). I don't like the idea of giving up Rozier when we are trading Bradley away. His potential to be an amazing on-ball defender is too much to give up as a throw-in at this point.

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Depends on who we are giving away for Butler. Personally, I wouldn't like to include Bradley in the deal.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Crowder is like 70% of Butler at 33% of the cost. Generally I'm keeping Crowder separate from the Butler stuff

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Only added Jimmy Butler + Horford?

We're talking two of the top 25 players in the league. That would be awesome.