Author Topic: Would you be happy if we only added Butler + Horford (but no KD) this summer?  (Read 8925 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Let's say the Butler trade is Crowder, JJ, Rozier, and number 3 for something like Butler and Dunleavy. And let's also say that Durant signs a 1+1 in OKC. Would you be happy with the following lineup, and how far could we go with this lineup?

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Bradley, Dunleavy
SF: Butler, Turner (resigned)
PF: Amir, Mickey
C: Horfore, KO

Does this team challenge Cleveland in the East with improved scoring and defense?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Yes if we keep Crowder, Smart, Nets 17, Nets 18 and the Memphis pick.  I think we'd be better than Toronto but worse than Cleveland.  Still probably only like the 5th or 6th best team instead of the 7th or 8th best, but with high lotto picks incoming and at least the ability to upset a good team.

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I'd be thrilled if Boston could swing Jimmy Butler + Al Horford in the same offseason, but at what cost?

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Let's say the Butler trade is Crowder, JJ, Rozier, and number 3 for something like Butler and Dunleavy. And let's also say that Durant signs a 1+1 in OKC. Would you be happy with the following lineup, and how far could we go with this lineup?

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Bradley, Dunleavy
SF: Butler, Turner (resigned)
PF: Amir, Mickey
C: Horfore, KO

Does this team challenge Cleveland in the East with improved scoring and defense?

No amir. Get Noah!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
No because we would undoubtably give up too much and Horford and Butler don't make us contenders so what is the point?  Horford and Conley might be better.  It would seem more attractive to Durant I'd think.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
No. Ur Butler trade is really dumb.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
No. Ur Butler trade is really dumb.

Such an enlightening comment.  ::)

That's essentially the basic framework that everyone proposes for a Butler trade - Crowder, Rozier, number 3 pick for Butler.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I can't support a Butler trade that involves Crowder.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

I don't believe Butler would either since he is best friends with Crowder. I'd imagine they would want to be on the best team.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Butler is pretty overrated.  I wouldn't mind getting him, but not for the price it will take.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Would you rather give up Smart? I don't think Bradley gets it done, though I'd rather replace Crowder with Bradley.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Butler is pretty overrated.  I wouldn't mind getting him, but not for the price it will take.

Would you do Bradley, Rozier, and number three for Butler?

I only worry about the shooting you lose with Bradley, though a lineup of IT, Butler, Crowder, Amir, and Horford is just as imposing, if not more, than replacing Crowder with Bradley.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Butler isn't worth the "upgrade" price of #3 and a big cap hit over Crowder or Bradley. You don't give up top 5 picks and $$ for incremental upgrades.

Think about what we traded for Ray Allen: a lesser pick (#5), and a lesser player (Delonte)... and even that would have been overpay EXCEPT we followed it with KG.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Would you do Bradley, Rozier, and number three for Butler?
Is Butler really that much of an improvement over Bradley?   Is there really no chance the guy we take 3rd will be better?

I just don't think Butler will move the needle as much as people think. 

I don't have much of a first-hand opinion of this draft.  I just know what people who follow this draft had said.  They seem to be pretty down on the options available at #3.  Even so, I'm not sure I'd be that thrilled about moving the pick + Bradley for a bit of an upgrade over Bradley.  So right now, I'm leaning towards no.  That and also doing such a deal I think prevents Boston from having double-max cap space.  We'd have to include even more salary to preserve our double-max possibility.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Butler isn't worth the "upgrade" price of #3 and a big cap hit over Crowder or Bradley. You don't give up top 5 picks and $$ for incremental upgrades.

Think about what we traded for Ray Allen: a lesser pick (#5), and a lesser player (Delonte)... and even that would have been overpay EXCEPT we followed it with KG.
It's the homer in me, but I think Bradley and Crowder are both a bit underrated.  They both made believers out of me this season.  I don't look at either of them as throw-ins.  If I'm giving up one of those guys + the #3 pick, it better be for a superstar.   Ricky Butler isn't a superstar.