Author Topic: Does this team make any sense to anyone?  (Read 8725 times)

Does this team make any sense to anyone?
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm a pessimist.  Sometimes it's good to hear a different perspective.  Is there anyone out there who looks at this team and thinks, "yeah... that makes sense" or... "I see what Danny is doing"?

Our team right now...

POINT GUARDS

Rondo -  Ball-dominating PG.  Former star.  Definitely a PG.
Bradley -  He pretends to be a SG, but he's actually a defensive role playing PG without PG ability.
... Backing those 2 up:  Smart - another ball-dominating PG. 
Dregs of the bench:  Pressey.  Another PG.
... The player we reportedly made our top free agent target?... a 5'9 PG.

Every single one of those guys is 6'2 and under without shoes.

POWER FORWARDS

Brandon Bass - longtime starting PF still under contract
Oly - He showed promise in the irrelevant part of the season.  Everyone agrees he's a stretch PF... too slow for SF and way too much of a defensive liability at center.
Sully - Fat kid has some game.  Long term future probably a back-up PF, but he might have a future as a starting PF.   Nobody realistically thinks he's anything other than a PF.
Humph - another PF.  Apparently we want to re-sign him.

SMALL FORWARDS
Green's natural spot is SF
Wallace is a backup SF
We just drafted an 18 year old who is apparently a SF.

DOes any of the above make sense?  We passed on bringing in Asik... we clearly had an expendable 1st rounder to get him if he wanted.  We passed on bringing in Afflalo even though it would have merely cost us a marginal young talent.

Clearly this is a team that has to make a trade at some point, right?  It looks like a bunch of "stuff" that we undoubtedly wanted to send for Kevin Love... but if that falls through we're just stuck with a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit together.   Does anyone actually look at that collection of "stuff" and say to themselves, "Yeah, that works.  Faverani can play center.  Lack of size doesn't matter.  Two ball-dominating PG's who can't shoot totally fits Brad's vision."   ... or do we all just agree that we're waiting for the other shoe (or shoes) to drop?

Re: Does this team make any sense to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not sure what you're trying to illustrate... we're all quite aware, even Ainge as he's mentioned the need to consolidate, that there's a roster imbalance. And we're 3 days into the NBA Moratorium... what's the issue?

Does Ainge need to make a trade? Sure. Does he need to find a center? Sure. Will he be able to? I'm sure he'll try without compromising anymore next year's free-agency.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We're not even into day 4 (as of this post) in the FA season. Once Lebron and Melo lands then things will get moving with other teams and pieces will start to move.

DA's waiting to see what other teams are doing and wanting. He can't do much right now because of the cap.

DA wasn't going to give up a first for Asik. He would have waited till he could use the TE, but that pasted. Affalo is good, but we would need to know if you're bringing in a Love type player to make a move for him. It wouldn't make sense to bring in Affalo, or Asik if you're just going to try not to make the playoffs next year.

Things will happen, DA just needs to know if he an get a contender started sooner, or if he's going to move some Vet pieces like Rondo and get real young for the next couple seasons.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Oh yeah, you forgot about FAV. So we DO have a center....Kinda....  ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
So you're saying this team makes no sense... but you're continuing to have patience while the free agent market dries up?

I'm not disagreeing with this.  You both more or less have the same opinion "this team is whack, we will inevitably make a trade".  I was more curious if anyone looked at that roster and said to themselves, "yeah... that fits... no problem". 

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So you're saying this team makes no sense... but you're continuing to have patience while the free agent market dries up?

The only thing that "doesn't make sense" it's that we've yet to acquire a center. Doesn't mean that the other pieces, the "core" pieces, don't make sense.

I love the idea behind the 3-guard rotation of Rondo-Bradley-Smart. I like Jeff Green at the 3 (we need a better back up), I like Olynyk and Sully as PF both of them capable of sliding to the center as needed in a 3 man rotation.

The ONLY real issue we have right now is the lack of a true center with a semblance of talent. Guess what... all teams have wholes in their roster.

X Factor? Wallace, I'm not sure what he has left... I don't mind him as a back-up SF/PF type. But if we could get rid of him he would be gone. Not a big issue.

Bass, I'm sure Ainge is trying to trade him. He's an expiring deal, not an issue.

So, what's your REAL issue with the roster? As far as I'm concerned we have a pretty [dang] good roster 1-4 with a nice mixture of talent, youth, and experience. We need to solidify the 5th spot. We still have the trade exception (not sure if we're going to use it). We still have the full mid level... etc., etc.

All that said, you can't compromise next year's free-agency much more by spending more than a one-year contract if the player you're acquiring isn't a big impact type. You're better off just waiting it out.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'd rather not bother getting a center if there's nothing worth getting out there.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

We have two centers, Faverani and Anthony.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm with you lar.  Very disappointed in what I've seen so far.  It's like we're just collecting "stuff" as you say, just for the sake of it and it appears there's no real attempt to do anything.  I think people expect Danny to make this big splash based on what he's done before but honestly, I'm having my doubts.  If we keep this crew and tank next year maybe in 2015 the roster will start to make sense.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:11 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
i'd rather not bother getting a center if there's nothing worth getting out there.

The next draft is supposed to be center heavy.
Maybe we will have another tank year and draft a center.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

It never makes sense to me when 2 of a team's 5 best players are forced to come off the bench for positional needs.  Faverani might start, but at best he's the 7th best player on the team... that seems like a problem.  I look at this team and can't help but think a trade is absolutely necessary at some point.  It just doesn't make any sense on paper.

Reminds me of when I use to look at Seattle/Oklahoma and see Jeff Green playing out of position at PF.  As much as they talked about how it "Worked"... it just didn't.  Green was too talented to bring off the bench, but they were playing him at PF because of Durant.  You always knew a trade was inevitable.  In-fact, a couple years before we traded Perk for him, I even brought up the possibility on this forum.   At some point they had to fix that roster.  Once they did, they made it to the finals.  A broken roster that had to be fixed.  That's Boston right now... this roster makes no sense.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Couldn't agree more with LarBrd33.

I do not think this team will be worked out until at most next draft.

I actually think James young will be a shooting guard , that only makes our sf spot weaker, but its in the best interest for him and the team. I think because of James Youngs excellent length he will be more than decent defending the 2(imagine marcus and James beating up the other teams backcourt)

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
(imagine marcus and James beating up the other teams backcourt)

I have.

I am so sick of us being the 98 lb weakling.
At least now we have a PG and a SG with some size.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 11:52:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
When I look at this roster, I am not convinced that Sullinger fits with the rest of the roster and I wonder if he's the guy that Ainge would like to move in a deal to put together a roster that makes more sense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 11:53:36 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

It never makes sense to me when 2 of a team's 5 best players are forced to come off the bench for positional needs.  Faverani might start, but at best he's the 7th best player on the team... that seems like a problem.  I look at this team and can't help but think a trade is absolutely necessary at some point.  It just doesn't make any sense on paper.

Reminds me of when I use to look at Seattle/Oklahoma and see Jeff Green playing out of position at PF.  As much as they talked about how it "Worked"... it just didn't.  Green was too talented to bring off the bench, but they were playing him at PF because of Durant.  You always knew a trade was inevitable.  In-fact, a couple years before we traded Perk for him, I even brought up the possibility on this forum.   At some point they had to fix that roster.  Once they did, they made it to the finals.  A broken roster that had to be fixed.  That's Boston right now... this roster makes no sense.
In your analogy Marcus Smart would be jeff Green (for analogy purposes only!). He is and will be too talented to push over at the 2 or backup Avery(maybe not right away but soon i think). After signing Avery to that deal it looks like someone is out. So I agree, there will be a trade.