Author Topic: What's so good about james young?  (Read 9096 times)

What's so good about james young?
« on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Just watched his scouting video
he is a solid rebounder, good size at SG and solid at SF, he is young
and that's it
bad dribble, no right hand, inconsistent shot, bad defense, no explosive, no good finish

I don't really know what to expect from him, even as a project
can someone explain why you are happy with Him?

Re: What's so good about james young?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I was puzzled and disappointed at first too.

Having tried to learn more about him I think he's a classic Danny "one elite skill" guy: he projects as a good shooter at the pro level.

But yeah, the other flaws are troubling, especially his seeming lack of effort and IQ on the defensive end.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I was puzzled and disappointed at first too.

Having tried to learn more about him I think he's a classic Danny "one elite skill" guy: he projects as a good shooter at the pro level.

But yeah, the other flaws are troubling, especially his seeming lack of effort and IQ on the defensive end.

shooter off the bench? Danny Green?

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
imo has a bit of shiftiness, unlike Jeff Green. Change of speed. Can go half gear and troll in the paint, making better use of his length.

Also kind of has an in between game.

Wingspan.

Good looking stroke. Was a down year for him this year shooting, apparently.

That's what I've gotten so far.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Its more of a stash pick... just too young right now.. i think youngest in the draft ... He shot will improve he has good mechanics with size... Its all about taking something totally raw and hoping it works out... it reminds me of drafting Gerald Green, even though they are polar opposite players.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I hope puberty isn't done with him yet and end up a 6'10" or 6'11" guy.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Honestly all the guys I wanted go picked right before the Celtics. I think Young was the best available on the board.

His stroke looked good even though he didn't shoot at a great percentage. The same thing happened to Bradley Beal, he didn't shoot well in college but is now in the NBA. I feel like he's going to end up being a 40%+ 3 point shooter, as well as adding a dribble drive to his game. I think he will space the floor exactly in the way this team needs.

The pick is all about upside. He was considered an elite scorer coming out of high school, then he didn't take a ton of shots at Kentucky and his stock went down. I think he has the shooting touch, and length to end up being a very good scorer.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »

Offline mloyko

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Young consistently improved over the course of the season and played his best in big games. I don't see a one dimensional player at all. He can stroke it from the outside, but he is also one of the best slashers from the perimeter in the draft. He can get to the rim and has very good range from the outside. He's one of the youngest players in the draft and provides some much needed scoring from the wing.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Young reminds me of Alex English.

A smooth scorer with an in between game.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I hope puberty isn't done with him yet and end up a 6'10" or 6'11" guy.

Or a solid 6'8 to 6'9

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Young has the all around game, and a very good body for a 2 guard. He can score on the drive and as a 3 point shooter. He has the athleticism and wingspan to be a good defender.

Kentucky was a mess of a team last year, and Young didn't get the ball enough to shine. I really look forward to seeing what he does playing with a real point guard.

He has some young Joe Johnson to him. He also has a little jeff Green float in and out of games to him. But he is very young, and very moldable and a gamble.

This is the kind of prospect that should show just how well Brad Stevens can coach and develop the young guys.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Don't forget he may have been limited being on Kentucky. Sacrificed his game for the team kind of thing.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
His stroke looked good even though he didn't shoot at a great percentage.

That's because he shot as many threes a game as twos.  He shoots something like 47% from 2 and 34% from 3.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
He had inconsistent shot because of low assist rate at Kentucky. He will thrive off a past fiyrdt point guard.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Young has the all around game, and a very good body for a 2 guard. He can score on the drive and as a 3 point shooter. He has the athleticism and wingspan to be a good defender.

Kentucky was a mess of a team last year, and Young didn't get the ball enough to shine. I really look forward to seeing what he does playing with a real point guard.

He has some young Joe Johnson to him. He also has a little jeff Green float in and out of games to him. But he is very young, and very moldable and a gamble.

This is the kind of prospect that should show just how well Brad Stevens can coach and develop the young guys.

This exactly. 

He's an 18 year old who, last year, was asked to play off the ball for the first time.  He struggled at times - understandably so.  But the talent and physical tools are clearly there.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do next to an actual playmaker instead of the Harrison twins.  He still needs to learn how to impact games when he's not handling the ball, but everything I've heard and seen points to him being coachable and an unselfish player.  I'm optimistic.