Author Topic: Why Didn't We Extend Crawford?  (Read 7260 times)

Why Didn't We Extend Crawford?
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Was it because at the time Danny didn't think he was worth it?  Did the sides try to work something out and they couldn't come to terms?  Does anyone know?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Why Didn't We Extend Crawford?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Probably because we didnt really want him or expect to play as well as he has been.

Or maybe Danny thought the if he didnt extend him then he would play out of his mind like most guys in their contract year do, and he would be a more valuable trade piece for us in the process.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Because there's absolutely no rush to extend a rotation guard this year.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Because Ainge isn't an idiot.

There was (and probably still is) too much uncertainty in committing to Crawford long-term.  The potential reward combined with the likeliness of that reward made it a poor idea to commit cap space beyond this season to Crawford.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Because he's never played this well before and we had no reason to bank on his improvement.

Not only that but we really shouldn't expect him to play this well going forward. He's a career 31% shooter from deep, he's unlikely to maintain shooting 40% as he has so far. Same with his 2 point shooting and foul shooting, they all are above his career averages.

Now his assist rate has also been a revelation, that I can see as being sustainable if he's kept in the PG role. Which is certain to change when Rondo returns too.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Do you think Doc thinks that J Cra is garbage right now or do you thi k he's thinking he maybe could have used him last year or used him differently.

I remember ainge saying the best pg or maybe he said purest pg on the team last year was Crawford (obviously when rondo was out). Wonder if ainge is annoyed that Doc couldn't figure out how to get to Jprdan crawford a guy he traded for presumably to help the team last year

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Do you think Doc thinks that J Cra is garbage right now or do you thi k he's thinking he maybe could have used him last year or used him differently.

I remember ainge saying the best pg or maybe he said purest pg on the team last year was Crawford (obviously when rondo was out). Wonder if ainge is annoyed that Doc couldn't figure out how to get to Jprdan crawford a guy he traded for presumably to help the team last year
Crawford was a midseason addition last year, makes it tough to integrate him. He also wasn't producing at this level, which is a career best, which means its hard to justify more than the 21 MPG he got.

Heck Doc jerked his minutes around a bunch trying to capture that hot hand when he had it going. Pumping it up well beyond backup combo guard when he thought Crawford was doing good things.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
We also had TWill on the roster, and Crawford seemed to mostly be asked to score (something we badly needed after losing Barbosa).

I wouldn't put all of the blame on Doc, even though I do like blaming Doc for things.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I remember ainge saying the best pg or maybe he said purest pg on the team last year was Crawford (obviously when rondo was out).

I thought he said that about Terrence Williams.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Was it because at the time Danny didn't think he was worth it?  Did the sides try to work something out and they couldn't come to terms?  Does anyone know?
Probably because he was Jordan Crawford. He was far from worthy of an extension. It isn't common that it something clicks for someone so quickly. Past seasons did not indicate this. They indicated a guy whose best case would be a 6th man gunner to provide instant offense.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Because he's never played this well before and we had no reason to bank on his improvement.

Not only that but we really shouldn't expect him to play this well going forward. He's a career 31% shooter from deep, he's unlikely to maintain shooting 40% as he has so far. Same with his 2 point shooting and foul shooting, they all are above his career averages.

Now his assist rate has also been a revelation, that I can see as being sustainable if he's kept in the PG role. Which is certain to change when Rondo returns too.
This is all important to remember. The main difference is getting him to pass more. The efficiency this week -- well, that might not last. This could go down as the best week in his career. Remember when TA was a #1 scorer for us for a week? Never happened again.

I was a major Crawford doubter (though I kinda enjoyed him before he arrived here), but he has proven that he can be a team player. That does not mean that he isn't playing over his head.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Has Crawford done anything so far this year to suggest that Danny's decision not to extend him was a bad one?

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
ggod crawford, hustling on defense, distributing the ball, breaking down a defense one on one when needed
bad crawford, not working on defense, holding the ball, jacking shots he shouldn't take

if good crawford is playing (which seems to be more and more!!!) he is a great pick up
again he was gotten for a beer and jason collins as i remember it

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
ggod crawford, hustling on defense, distributing the ball, breaking down a defense one on one when needed
bad crawford, not working on defense, holding the ball, jacking shots he shouldn't take

if good crawford is playing (which seems to be more and more!!!) he is a great pick up
again he was gotten for a beer and jason collins as i remember it

nothing so valuable as a beer.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If jcraw plays like this the rest of the year he will get an offer. And no team will overpay for his sevices either. So no worries

Plus jcraw owes one to the celts.