Author Topic: Mock Draft: Early Targets For The Boston Celtics  (Read 6204 times)

Mock Draft: Early Targets For The Boston Celtics
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:32:24 AM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I read an article about potential prospects that could still be available with our 16th pick in this upcoming draft. Danny will have to take a long hard look at some of these guys that still may be around when tha Celtics are on tha clock. One major flaw in this team Danny must address is tha Center position. Danny's failure to find a big man these past years has been part of tha C's Achilles Heel and it must be addressed. I Think Danny can finally do it in this year's draft. Most of tha prospects on this list are big men. Which one would be tha better pick is tha question. But here's tha list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2013-nba-mock-draft-early-targets-boston-celtics-213800134.html

Jeff Withey, C, Kansas Jayhawks - One of tha best options for tha middle of tha first round. He's 6'11, 24o lbs, and provides good defense. He registered nearly four blocks per game in his senior year. He also offers instinctive rebounding, with 8.5 boards per contest. He defends well on the low block as well as off the dribble, showing good footwork for a big guy. He still leaves a lot to be desired offensively, but his intelligence and ability to catch passes in traffic make him an ideal fit for a Rondo offense. Withey has good half-court instincts, which make him an ideal candidate for the Celtics' offense. He also runs well for a big man, and would complement the younger, speedier offensive talents Boston has nurtured through the years. Rondo and fellow speedsters Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee could benefit from his height, quickness and intelligence.

Dario Saric, SF, Croatia - One of the international standouts of the upcoming draft class, 6'10" Dario Saric could be an ideal long-term option at small forward for the Celtics. He won't be available until 2014, however, so if Ainge decides to buy out Pierce's contract, it might not be worth the risk. Highlights and analyses of this kid seem to portray him as the real deal, though. He delivers the brand of intelligent basketball Rivers loves. He plays aggressively and with confidence, with an inside-outside game that would create position versatility, even allowing him to play a Hedo Turkoglu-type role. Saric can pay dividends in the passing game, and come up with big rebounds on occasion. He offers speed and athleticism, which would certainly reward an offense led by the backcourt duo of Rondo and Avery Bradley.

Sergey Karasev, SF, Russia - The 6'7", 197-pound Russian Sergey Karasev would be Boston's higher-risk but more probable international pickup at small forward. Although he looks as lanky as former New Jersey Net Kerry Kittles, his scoring ability would undoubtedly translate to the NBA level. Karasev can shoot well from all areas of the floor, and also poses problems as a lefty with a pretty good handle. He possesses a strong basketball IQ and could mesh well in a Rondo offense based on ball movement and penetration. If this international talent can learn how to move without the ball half as well as Ray Allen did with the Celtics, he could be a great fit with Boston. Obviously, he could also benefit from strengthening his core in order to provide a better rebounding presence to go with his height.

Gorgui Dieng, C, Louisville Cardinals - He seems to be sort of a fan favorite here on this board. If he reaches his maximum NBA value, Louisville's Gorgui Dieng could be a better-scoring version of Dikembe Mutombo. At worst, he will be a poor man's Serge Ibaka. Either way, he would improve a Celtics roster that desperately needs his combination of size and wingspan. With a breakout tournament, the 23-year-old junior demonstrated his defensive dominance on the interior while also exhibiting a strong mid-range jumpshot. Additionally, his strength and intuitiveness near the hoop made him a force to be reckoned with on second-chance opportunities.

Dieng finished the NCAA season with six rebounds per contest, 3.4 of which came on the offensive end. He harassed opposing players in the Big Dance, quickly rising in mock draft ranks across the nation. Dieng's wingspan alone makes him a formidable talent on the professional level. Nobody would be surprised if he went a few picks earlier to the likes of the Utah Jazz, who probably won't be able to hold onto free agent center Al Jefferson. The young, small Milwaukee Bucks roster would also love to add his size and talent. But if Dieng is still available at the 16 spot, expect Ainge to take a long, hard look at him, finally addressing a position he has largely ignored the past few years.

Lucas Nogueira, C, Brazil - Yet another big man and yet another international talent, Rio de Janeiro's Lucas Nogueira could be exactly what the Celtics need down low. The tall, lanky seven-footer has loads of talent to go with a massive 7'6" wingspan. Nogueira offers NBA-level athleticism combined with a soft touch and quick reflexes. He can't shoot as well as Dieng or Withey, but he has shown signs of improvement with his short to medium-range jumper. What Boston would immediately improve upon with this pickup would be their rebounding and down-low presence. Scouts across the board have praised his quick feet and natural ability to find the ball, regardless of his 220-pound frame. If Nogueira can improve his mid-range and free throw shooting-and bulk up a bit-Ainge will have trouble passing up this funky, afro-wielding powerhouse from Brasilia.

There's other notables mentioned but ya'll can check tha link to see. Also there's a mention of guys that Boston wishes would slip but probably wouldn't in Trey Burke, Mason Plumlee, Kelly Olynyk, Rudy Gobert, and Michael Carter-Williams. But give your thoughts on who you would rather see Danny choose out of those 5 listed above.

Loyalty Is Royalty

Re: Mock Draft: Early Targets For The Boston Celtics
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
My post is a bit of a read but I would like to see Danny draft Dieng over tha other 4. Him paired next to Sully would be a beastly combo in tha front court. Tha rebounding on this team would definitely improve with them two. They can give us extra possesions that have killed us off of offensive boards and tha brotha can shot block too.

I'm not too much into stats but his 11-12 season stats are higher than his 12-23 stats. I'm not taking anything away from him because it may have something to do with him playing 286 less minutes in his 12-13 season. But tha brotha still produced and production is what this team needs. I just hope he doesn't get selected before we get on tha clock. Danny should not sleep on this dude at all.

Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:01:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Jeff Withey, to me he is going to have a greg steimsma like career. Comparing him to Cole Aldrich they put up similar stats at Kansas with Cole being a much better rebounder. I think his ceiling to to low to be drafted at #16.

Dario Saric,listed as a SF but from what I have read on him I get the impression he is more a 4/3 than a pure 3. Not a bad pick he needs to develop his outside shot but statistically seems to be a good rebounder and is said to have excellent feel for game and IQ.

Sergey Karasev
, I like this pick he seems to me to have a ceiling as a better ball handling Kyle Korver. Could make an excellent 6th man. He is already very productive in Europe at a young age.

Gorgui Dieng, I like Dieng much like I like Ezeli last year. The problem is he is also a low ceiling big man.At already 23I would be surprised if he ever develops into anything more than a back up center. Averaged 10pts 10 rb 2.5 blk in college

Lucas Nogueira, I remembler him looking terrible a couple of years ago in Nike hoop summit. He has interesting potential and would make for a Brazilian center rotation but my guy says pass on this kid.

others mention in article

Shane Larkin, if Rondo is going to be out for much of the first half of season and minutes will be available then take this kid. JJ Barea 2.0 should eventually be a great scoring spark off the bench. Size will be issue on D but the league is getting smaller so this hurts less. Alot of talent.

Steve Adams, like Dieng his college numbers dont blow you away but he has room to grow. He is a guy who like Melo has the physical tools to be a good starting NBA center, just is very raw

other this article left out who they should/could look at

Tony Mitchel (4/3), physical specimen just needs to put it together
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (2), likely gone but big time sg talent
Allen Crabbe (2), will be solid pro SG
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Steve Adams, like Dieng his college numbers dont blow you away but he has room to grow. He is a guy who like Melo has the physical tools to be a good starting NBA center, just is very raw

Difference is both of them are far younger than Fab I think?

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Adams is real young still only 19, Melo was 21 when drafted, and Dieng is 23.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:28:58 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Adams is real young still only 19, Melo was 21 when drafted, and Dieng is 23.

Adams is my man for #16.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:39:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Gorgui Dieng, I like Dieng much like I like Ezeli last year. The problem is he is also a low ceiling big man.At already 23I would be surprised if he ever develops into anything more than a back up center. Averaged 10pts 10 rb 2.5 blk in college

That is a better average than Melo in points and rebounds.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
maybe the Brazilian guy is good
varejao 2nd in the making hope so

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
If we go for a big, I like any of the following (in descending order):   Gobert, Dieng, Steven Adams and Withey.

For pick #16 (if we go for talent other than a big guy), I go for
Lorenzo Brown. He plays like a more athletic Chauncey. Very good size (6'4") for a PG and can really knock down the 3-ball.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Greenhead85,

Interesting pick!!  I am a diehard NC State fan and Lo is a unique talent.  This would be a little bit of a reach, but he would be a nice change of pace back-up PG for RR as he is much more of a scorer than Rajon.

Nice take.

Smitty77

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Hope we trade up and draft Shabazz. Gotta take a chance on somebody with that much talent
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Greenhead85,

Interesting pick!!  I am a diehard NC State fan and Lo is a unique talent.  This would be a little bit of a reach, but he would be a nice change of pace back-up PG for RR as he is much more of a scorer than Rajon.

Nice take.

Smitty77

I think if we draft him at #16, he addresses the things (talent/skill/intangibles) we've been looking for from a back-up PG that Bradley and TWill cant seem to perform.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

I think Dieng's NBA equivalent is Perk. Do you think Perk would have averaged more than those numbers in college? I certainly don't

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I think Dieng's NBA equivalent is Perk. Do you think Perk would have averaged more than those numbers in college? I certainly don't

Dieng is way more athletic , and can actually finish passes inside . To me he is closer to Noah than Perk

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
The guys I am excited about the possibility of drafting are

1.  Giannis Adetokoubo - I am high on this kid, but he keeps rising in the mock drafts.

2.  Dennis Schroeder  - Very excited for this kid, but he might very well be the first point guard drafted.

3.  Archie Goodwin  - He is a pretty terrible shooter.  I like his potential and spirit.  Mocks have him pretty low.

4. Steven Adams  - Reminds me a lot of Tiago Splitter.  It will probably take him a year or two to be fully comfortable in the NBA. 

5.  CJ McCollum  - He will be a point guard in the NBA.  Not the greatest athlete or play maker, but he has great handles and intangibles. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams