Author Topic: Sully Vs Bass Compare and Contrast  (Read 10850 times)

Sully Vs Bass Compare and Contrast
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Reasons I think Sully starts over Bass sooner than one may think. We all know about the C's lack of rebounding. This is the top reason why Jarrod should start over Brandon.

Sullinger is a true Low post player, this is HUGE. There are not many guys left in the NBA that are true back to the basket Post players. Sully is one of them, and with KG at center Sully should have a guy around his height guarding him, and when then happens he will have an advantage and even draw double teams some nights.

Which brings us to the fact he's a much better passer than Bass with a better BBIQ, on nights that he gets doubled he can initiate the half court offense at times.

Lastly he's 280 pounds, for all the talk about his lack of athleticism, the most underrated  factor among big men is strength, it is the reason why J.J. will never amount to anything in the NBA. Sully can guard short centers and anyone with to much beef for KG, which Kevin  will love.

I'm a Bass fan and I like what he does out there. he's a better midrange shooter right now and he can jump higher. But given the facts I've stated and that Sully is 50 pounds heavier. I say it's only a matter of time before it's
 Kevin Sullinger Pierce Lee\Bradley and Rondo in the starting five.

Re: Sully Vs Bass Compare and Contrast
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm a Bass fan and I like what he does out there. he's a better midrange shooter right now and he can jump higher. But given the facts I've stated and that Sully is 50 pounds heavier. I say it's only a matter of time before it's
 Kevin Sullinger Pierce Lee\Bradley and Rondo in the starting five.
Agreed. I think that it ultimately comes down to how quickly that Sully picks up the team defense, which is admittedly kind of a tall order for some people.

The only reservation that I would have is that I don't know who is quicker between the two of them, which might have an impact on matchup choices.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
If you are the opposing team and Sully (PF) is alongside KG (C), wouldn't you just put your center on Sullinger and move your PF onto Garnett?

At least most of the time ... since PFs generally defend KG better than Cs and Cs will defend Sullinger better than most PFs.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
If you are the opposing team and Sully (PF) is alongside KG (C), wouldn't you just put your center on Sullinger and move your PF onto Garnett?

At least most of the time ... since PFs generally defend KG better than Cs and Cs will defend Sullinger better than most PFs.
That's fine with me. KG will shoot over the PF all day every day. He destroyed people like that last season.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This is most likely what would happen but I would think the advantage goes to the C's here.  KG is taller/bigger than most PFs so I think he pretty much has the advantage there.  Sully is pretty beefy and there's a dearth of centers in the league with any talent so Sully won't be completely overmatched.  Add in that Sully would probably be option #3 at best regardless of who's on the floor (and quite possibly option #5 a lot of the time), he should do ok on offense.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

That's somewhat true.  But couldn't the same be said about Bass and KG?  It's not like Bass is taking slower centers off the dribble, despite the fact that he's quicker than Sullinger.  And Sullinger does have comparable (and perhaps even deeper) ranger to Bass.

That said, going back to what the OP said, I think there's something to be said both for and against Sullinger over Bass. 

In terms of a pro Sully perspective, when the team first drafted him, I thought it might spell the end for Bass.  Like Bass, Sully can hit jumpers, and unlike Bass he has a post game and rebounds. 

On the negative side, if the team really saw Sully as a guy who was going to immediately snatch the job from Bass, why did they give Bass the deal they did, particularly on a team where Jeff Green is going to get some 4 minutes too?

I think that the contract may keep Bass ahead of Sullinger in the short term.  And not just because of what it's worth, but because of what could happen to Bass's trade value if his minutes dramatically drop. 

A team might be interested in taking Bass off of our hands if he's having a year like last year.  They're not going to take him off our hands if he's putting up a lot less than that in 10 mpg, if he's buried on the bench behind Sully and Green. 

So unless Sully hands down beats out Bass, I don't see Doc going with him.  It's going to take more than Sully just narrowly beating him out. 

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

That's somewhat true. But couldn't the same be said about Bass and KG? It's not like Bass is taking slower centers off the dribble, despite the fact that he's quicker than Sullinger.  And Sullinger does have comparable (and perhaps even deeper) ranger to Bass.
Yeah ... but it's not quite the same either.

Bass spends the vast majority of his time in that 15-20 foot area of the court. So your center is still pulled away from the basket. With Sullinger, I would expect him to spend some time in that 15-20 foot zone but a much larger portion of his time nearer the hoop.

That would make it an easier matchup for center + allows the center to be near the basket for team defense + Sully has a post game that could cause PFs some problems but could be taken away by a C ... so there is more incentive to switch the defensive matchup. 

So I would say "yes and no".

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

That's somewhat true. But couldn't the same be said about Bass and KG? It's not like Bass is taking slower centers off the dribble, despite the fact that he's quicker than Sullinger.  And Sullinger does have comparable (and perhaps even deeper) ranger to Bass.

Bass spends the vast majority of his time in that 15-20 foot area of the court. So your center is still pulled away from the basket. With Sullinger, I would expect him to spend some time in that 15-20 foot zone but a much larger portion of his time nearer the hoop.

That would make it an easier matchup for center + allows the center to be near the basket for team defense + Sully has a post game that could cause PFs some problems but could be taken away by a C ... so there is more incentive to switch the defensive matchup. 

Hopefully Sully can set some really good picks leading to switches and mismatches that he can take advantage of in the post.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Hopefully Sully can set some really good picks leading to switches and mismatches that he can take advantage of in the post.

Exactly. That's what people will soon see. Remember how many times Perk Fumbled passes, or just didn't finish easy ones at the hoop. Sullinger is so smart on pick and rolls and overall his IQ is way ahead of most 20 year olds. He's gonna get close to ten points a game on Awesome Rondo Dimes before you know it.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I agree.  However, if Sully's range is as advertised, he should be able to function in the Bass role. 

Which also begs the question, for all the talk of his post game, how often would he actually get post up opportunities in this offense?  Would he essentially get the same looks as Bass?

Because with KG, PP, Rondo, and now Green and Terry all looking for shots, I can't see Sullinger getting more than a handful of post plays called for him a game, and even that seems like it could be a stretch. 

And if the post game isn't going to be utilized, I think unless Sullinger is going to really be stellar in his shooting range and rebounding, Bass may hold onto the starting job (and starting minutes) for the majority of this year. 

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:31 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
To do any real comparison you would have to be looking at their production at the same age. In spite of the fact that Sully has not played an NBA game, I think it is safe to say that he is coming into the league with a more complete game. If he can improve his every year like Bass has he will be an amazing player; but not sure he has the stamina or the discipline that Bass has shown. Bass is a clear starter over Sully until he proves himself in the NBA. Pretty sure he can rebound better than Bass and he may have better post moves, but is academic argument at this stage. His shooting is no where near Bass' right now.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bass is just a better bench player than he's a starter. Other than in a situation that there's really no viable option to start someone over him, he's more useful to us off the bench. I've enumerated various reason for this various times already.

Depending on what the players show through training camp, I think the clear starter should be Wilcox, with Green and Sullinger having an outside shot.

But Bass is simply a better bench player from both a productive and chemistry standpoint.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 02:36:01 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
rebounding: Sullinger 10-7
shot-blocking: Bass 10-8
mid-range: Bass 10-8
3pt shooting: Sullinger 10-7
Post-up: Sullinger 10-7
passing: Sullinger 10-6

total: Sullinger 56-47

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
rebounding: Sullinger 10-7
shot-blocking: Bass 10-8
mid-range: Bass 10-8
3pt shooting: Sullinger 10-7
Post-up: Sullinger 10-7
passing: Sullinger 10-6

total: Sullinger 56-47

defense: Sullinger 10-9
strength: 10-10
Speed: Bass 10-7
athleticism: Bass 10-7
BBIQ: Sullinger 10-9

total: Sullinger 100-95

total:

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11:44 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I expect Sullinger to be a pretty good rotation player maybe even this year. He had a good, but not spectacular, summer league where he was consistent as a rebounder, in getting to the line, in showing good hands, and in demonstrating that he adjusted to circumstances (i.e., good BBIQ). Unfortunately he was consistently sub-par with his shot.  Being summer league, we have little basis to judge how he'll be on defense in the NBA.

As far as Sullinger starting in the near future with Doc at the helm and Bass having had a decent season under his belt?  Not likely.