Author Topic: Kobe in Celtics training camp, 1996 (pics!)  (Read 11882 times)

Re: Kobe in Celtics training camp, 1996 (pics!)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
We actually drafted someone not named Kobe Bryant? I hope that was the Pierce year, Kobe ahead of Ron Mercer or Chauncey any day!
Kobe got drafted in 96 the year we drafted Antoine Walker

which was a stupid move

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We actually drafted someone not named Kobe Bryant? I hope that was the Pierce year, Kobe ahead of Ron Mercer or Chauncey any day!

which was a stupid move
That draft wasn't the greatest draft. It's only in hindsight. Kobe was the first ever swing man to go straight from high school and nobody knew how that would go. Players picked above Toine that didn't do great were Camby, Sharif Abdur Rahim and Starbury. Players picked after him weren't as good unless you go with Steve Nash, Jermaine O'Neal, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, all of whom took years to develop.  In hindsight the best thing to do would have been to give up the high 2nd rounder and a million to move up one spot and get Ray Allen. Nobody knew what would happen to those guys

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6

which was a stupid move
That draft wasn't the greatest draft. It's only in hindsight. Kobe was the first ever swing man to go straight from high school and nobody knew how that would go. Players picked above Toine that didn't do great were Camby, Sharif Abdur Rahim and Starbury. Players picked after him weren't as good unless you go with Steve Nash, Jermaine O'Neal, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, all of whom took years to develop.  In hindsight the best thing to do would have been to give up the high 2nd rounder and a million to move up one spot and get Ray Allen. Nobody knew what would happen to those guys

I'm confused. Are you saying the draft was good or bad cuz I always felt it was really good.   It was a good mix of stars and role players.  Going in order : Iverson (HOF) . Camby didn't work out in Toronto, they were playing him at SF at one point but became one of the best rebounders of his era/awesome shotblocker, Shareef was a 20point scorer, Marbury was arguably a top 5 pg in his era though I'm not a fan, Ray Allen (HOF), Antoine never lived up to his potential but was talented, Lorenzen Wright was a solid role player, Kittles was good and possibly could have done more on another team, his career was cut short from injury, Dampier was a starter almost his whole career, then Kobe and Nash were stars, Peja had some all star years, JErmaine O'neal was an all-star but overrated IMO, Big Z could have been a perenial allstar if not for all his foot problems, Jerome Williams and Derek Fisher were great role players.

Sometimes I think guys go to the wrong teams where they don't fit in. I still think Antoine could have had a great career under different circumstances, no Pitino, no 3 point line/in shape. I don't know what happened to Camby but he could score in college. Kittles had more game than what he showed in NJ.  I was surprised John Wallace never stuck anywhere. Shareef was on a bad team but was a legit scorer.

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

which was a stupid move

I'm confused. Are you saying the draft was good or bad cuz I always felt it was really good.   It was a good mix of stars and role players.  Going in order : Iverson (HOF) . Camby didn't work out in Toronto, they were playing him at SF at one point but became one of the best rebounders of his era/awesome shotblocker, Shareef was a 20point scorer, Marbury was arguably a top 5 pg in his era though I'm not a fan, Ray Allen (HOF), Antoine never lived up to his potential but was talented, Lorenzen Wright was a solid role player, Kittles was good and possibly could have done more on another team, his career was cut short from injury, Dampier was a starter almost his whole career, then Kobe and Nash were stars, Peja had some all star years, JErmaine O'neal was an all-star but overrated IMO, Big Z could have been a perenial allstar if not for all his foot problems, Jerome Williams and Derek Fisher were great role players.

Sometimes I think guys go to the wrong teams where they don't fit in. I still think Antoine could have had a great career under different circumstances, no Pitino, no 3 point line/in shape. I don't know what happened to Camby but he could score in college. Kittles had more game than what he showed in NJ.  I was surprised John Wallace never stuck anywhere. Shareef was on a bad team but was a legit scorer.
I think it was an ok draft, or maybe even a good one, but I thought a lot of guys either couldn't sustain it, took a long time to develop, or were very inefficient guys. To me the best player in the draft after Kobe was Ray, and then there's a pretty big drop off in terms of what teams got for their guy. You wouldn't want to have been the team that drafted Nash or Jermaine and watch them get good on another team.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

which was a stupid move

SMH, Antoine Walker was the best player on the best team in college basketball. Kobe was in high school... it was a huge gamble, plus he was picked 7 picks later. Obviously in hindsight you know he's the next Michael Jordan but there was no way to know that at the time.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
I guess for me it will go down as a draft that produced some superstars/hall of famers and also guys who just never reached their potential. I think Portland and Phoenix had an idea how good those guys were. Nash was awesome although better than anyone expected but he was playing behind KJ who was 31 at the time, and Kidd who was 24.  I think O'Neal was one of those young guys that everyone knew was going to be good when he got a chance to play. He was playing behind Rasheed, Brian Grant and Sabonis I believe.... By the way check out the 2000 draft.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla

which was a stupid move

SMH, Antoine Walker was the best player on the best team in college basketball. Kobe was in high school... it was a huge gamble, plus he was picked 7 picks later. Obviously in hindsight you know he's the next Michael Jordan but there was no way to know that at the time.

In hindsight, yes it was a stupid move. But Antoine could do it all. He was quicker back then. He could pass, rebound, score, and he played with heart. He was so mobile for his size I really thought he would put it together but he fell in love with the 3 point line and never really got in great shape. And yes, high school guys back then really were a big risk. Kobe did receive exposure but was not considered a lottery pick by anyone if I remember correctly.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
The Nets were strongly considering taking Kobe at 8 but were scared off by the risk. So it was possible Boston could have taken him at 6.

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
discusting now i gotta gouge my eyes out

TP

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

which was a stupid move

Also nobody knew Toine would decide to jack up threes like an addiction. There was no way to know that at the time