Author Topic: name a player Danny has traded away or let go that exceled  (Read 13432 times)

Re: name a player Danny has traded away or let go that exceled
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Jefferson has had near all star level seasons.

West was a starting SG on teams that went far in the playoffs.

Walker was a starter on a championship team. 

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
This has all the earmarks of Monty Python's Life of Brian. I expect to hear someone say, "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Bottom line, the team is better and stayed better for its longest stint since the 80s. Danny's made mistakes, but he's got an overall net gain.

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Chris Anderson and Al Jefferson probably. But we got KG for AL so how could we complain?

Chris Andersen was never on the Celtics.

If I'm not mistaken he tried out for the Celtics in training camp or something and got cut (same for Dahntay Jones).

Nope, there were rumors that the C's had interest in him a few years ago, but thats it.  A lot of people point to him saying he wanted to play for the Celtics when he was a free agent, but there was never any thing to suggest he would have even signed for what the C's had to offer (vet minimum).

I remember Andersen saying in an interview that he was in Boston for a try-out. He even said he understood their decision - they eventually signed Patrick O'Bryant - because he was still a bit out of shape and the tryout didn't go too well for him.

Yes, although the thing is, it was never reported why it didn't work out.  He said he wanted to play in Boston during that interview (I think it was really just a quick word at the airport), but there is a very good chance that he was looking for more than the vet minimum, which is all the C's were offering, and that is why it didn't work out.

Anyways, the point is, if we are going to extend this list to guys Danny could have tried to sign as a free agent, but for whatever reason didn't come to fruition(it is impossible to know what actually goes on with these negotiations, and you can't trust things these guys tell the press, because it is often just spin) this list could become infinitely long, and would lose any relevance IMO.

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I think the better question to ask is whether Danny has a Chauncey Billups or Joe Johnson on his resume.  Guys he gave up on who went on to become stars and the answer to that is no.

With trades, in theory you need to give up something to get something so it makes no sense to say he messed up by dealing Big Al. 

At the time it was with general consensus that Al was going to have a solid career but giving him up was necessary to get KG.

As far as some of the guys who've been mentioned here, Antoine's style was just wrong for what Danny wanted to build, West was a solid role player (still is) and as far as Gomes goes, name me one team he's been a major part of that's had a winning record?

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Not a player, but he let Chris Wallace walk and he helped the Lakers win the championship!

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think the better question to ask is whether Danny has a Chauncey Billups or Joe Johnson on his resume.  Guys he gave up on who went on to become stars and the answer to that is no.

With trades, in theory you need to give up something to get something so it makes no sense to say he messed up by dealing Big Al. 

At the time it was with general consensus that Al was going to have a solid career but giving him up was necessary to get KG.

As far as some of the guys who've been mentioned here, Antoine's style was just wrong for what Danny wanted to build, West was a solid role player (still is) and as far as Gomes goes, name me one team he's been a major part of that's had a winning record?

Here's a better question: is the worst Danny Ainge trade better than the best Chris Wallace trade?

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I didn't say he messed up.

I just don't believe the comment "Ainge has never traded away a player who was successful" 

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I would be remiss if I left Vin Baker's name out of this list. We simply fired him and he moved on to a stellar bench warming career for the Bricks and the Pockets before retiring to the local pub.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Chris Anderson and Al Jefferson probably. But we got KG for AL so how could we complain?

If I'm not mistaken he tried out for the Celtics in training camp or something and got cut (same for Dahntay Jones).

Nope, there were rumors that the C's had interest in him a few years ago, but thats it.  A lot of people point to him saying he wanted to play for the Celtics when he was a free agent, but there was never any thing to suggest he would have even signed for what the C's had to offer (vet minimum).

The Celtics worked him out before the 2009 season and passed on him for Patrick O’Bryant. Birdman went on to sign a veteran minimum contract with the Denver Nuggets and played well enough to get a pretty nice contract the following off-season.  

It was one of the few fails on Ainge's part, having Anderson would have been huge against the Magic in the 2nd round that year.

In addition to a visit from former Hornets center Chris Andersen, they worked out three vastly different players - center David Harrison, guard Kirk Snyder and forward Darius Miles.

Patrick O’Bryant, the former Golden State center who the Celtics worked out prior to the 2006 draft, is due in for a workout today.

In addition, the team has taken a prolonged look at former Knicks center Randolph Morris and former Bulls guard Eddie Basden during this week’s rookie/free agent minicamp in Waltham.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100577

Andersen will make close to $3.65 million in 2009-10, up from the $998,398 he made last season, when he averaged 6.4 points and 2.5 blocks in 20.6 minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312934
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2011, 06:48:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The Celtics worked him out before the 2009 season and passed on him for Patrick O’Bryant. Birdman went on to sign a veteran minimum contract with the Denver Nuggets and played well enough to get a pretty nice contract the following off-season.  

It was one of the few fails on Ainge's part, having Anderson would have been huge against the Magic in the 2nd round that year.

In addition to a visit from former Hornets center Chris Andersen, they worked out three vastly different players - center David Harrison, guard Kirk Snyder and forward Darius Miles.

Patrick O’Bryant, the former Golden State center who the Celtics worked out prior to the 2006 draft, is due in for a workout today.

In addition, the team has taken a prolonged look at former Knicks center Randolph Morris and former Bulls guard Eddie Basden during this week’s rookie/free agent minicamp in Waltham.

Andersen will make close to $3.65 million in 2009-10, up from the $998,398 he made last season, when he averaged 6.4 points and 2.5 blocks in 20.6 minutes.

I thought I read somewhere that Ainge discussed a min deal with him but he took the same money from Denver. In any case, this was a guy coming back into the league from a pretty significant drug suspension. Amphetamines, wasn't it?

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Bill Walker +22 (+-) as Knicks top Heat. Did not like that deal because I thought we gave up too much for Nate. Would rather have Walker than Wafer. Eddie was not getting it done at the point or defensively, so we had to do something.

Walker will be a good player though.

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I thought I read somewhere that Ainge discussed a min deal with him but he took the same money from Denver. In any case, this was a guy coming back into the league from a pretty significant drug suspension. Amphetamines, wasn't it?

The problem is, it is all speculation.  All we know is that he worked out for the C's, and signed with Denver.  But we don't know whether he would have taken the same contract with Boston that he took with Denver (he had some connections with the Denver organization...I forget what they were, but I remember there was something), or if Danny had in fact offered him the minimum, or simply passed on him.

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 11:39:57 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I think the premise of the original post is that, given Ainge's track record, he's earned the benefit of the doubt with the Perk trade. And I agree with that, even though I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Like all GM's, he certainly has made some mistakes though. The Gabe Pruitt and JR Giddens picks were both terrible. I realize they were both late first round picks, but I think it's fair to expect a guy taken at that point in the draft to become at least a legit rotation player. Neither one did.

As for the first Walker trade, I wasn't against moving Walker, but like someone else mentioned, Raef and Jiri were both busts. Jiri was horrible (although we did fleece Cleveland by getting a 1st for him), and Raef was one of the softest big men of all time. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a Celtic player since Ainge arrived that I've despised more than Raef. We definitely could have gotten better value for Walker.

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Also, I'm not sure why some of you blast Al Jefferson so much. Admittedly, I haven't been able to watch him play more than a handful of games per year since we traded him, but I still consider him a very good player. He isn't great defensively, but neither were Ray Allen or Pierce before KG came to town. Al hasn't been on a strong defensive team that demanded that of him.

And offensively, I absolutely love the kid's game. His combination of touch, post moves, and craftiness make him one of the best low post scorers in the game. I would love to get him back somehow to pair with Rondo in the post-Big 3 era.

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Ok Chris, whatever... Believe and call it whatever you want. I'll make my judgement based on the information and what likely is the case... Anderson was passed over.
The only color that matters is GREEN